FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Congratulations to the 8 Wheaton players selected to All-Region teams, I think that's a school record and 2nd most, behind Mt Union, in the region. Great to see a North Park and Carthage name on the teams as well!

Here is the list of CCIW All-Region players:

Wheaton (8): !st Team: Chase Greenlee (DE), Zach Lindquist (TE), 2nd Team: Marcus Smith (CB), Patrick O'Connell (DL), Jon Calloway (OL), 3rd Team: Sola Olateju (RB), Andrew Jones (OL), Eric Stevenson (LB)

North Central (5): 1st Team: Austin Breunig (RB), Joe Fehrle (OL), 2nd Team: Emonte Logan (DL), 3rd Team: Tommy Sora (LB), Andrew Kamienski (WR)

IWU (2): 1st Team: Jordan Hassan (LB), Trevor Staley (S)

North Park (1): 3rd Team: Chaun Maiava (LB)

Carthage (1): 3rd Team: Connor Calvert (CB)

Conferences with most AR players:

OAC (25--UMU 12)
CCIW (16)
MIAA (11)
NCAC (10)
HCAC (6)

Kovo

Quote from: USee on December 06, 2017, 12:12:02 PM
Congratulations to the 8 Wheaton players selected to All-Region teams, I think that's a school record and 2nd most, behind Mt Union, in the region. Great to see a North Park and Carthage name on the teams as well!

Wheaton (8): !st Team: Chase Greenlee (DE), Zach Lindquist (TE), 2nd Team: Marcus Smith (CB), Patrick O'Connell (DL), Jon Calloway (OL), 3rd Team: Sola Olateju (RB), Andrew Jones (OL), Eric Stevenson (LB)

North Central (5): 1st Team: Austin Breunig (RB), Joe Fehrle (OL), 2nd Team: Emonte Logan (DL), 3rd Team: Tommy Sora (LB), Andrew Kamienski (WR)

OAC (25--UMU 12)
CCIW (16)
MIAA (11)
NCAC (10)
HCAC (6)

Interesting.  Wheaton had more players on the list than NCC and IWU combined.  And, one less that the entire CCIW combined. A real statement as to where the Crusaders are from a talent standpoint compared to the league.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Kovo on December 07, 2017, 07:03:53 AM
Quote from: USee on December 06, 2017, 12:12:02 PM

OAC (25--UMU 12)
CCIW (16)
MIAA (11)
NCAC (10)
HCAC (6)

Interesting.  Wheaton had more players on the list than NCC and IWU combined.  And, one less that the entire CCIW combined. A real statement as to where the Crusaders are from a talent standpoint compared to the league.
And even with Wheaton's stellar showing, the CCIW had only three more players on the list than the non-Mount Union OAC teams had? I know there is an extra team in the OAC equation, but with Wheaton, NCC, IWU, Carthage, and Millikan all having good years, that surprises me.

CardinalAlum

Ok, so who is starting the conversation regarding next year and who and what positions are returning?   Oh...I guess I am!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

thunder38

http://d3football.com/awards/all-americans/2017

Congrats to the six CCIW student athletes named to the D3 All-American Team with Wheaton, North Central and Illinois Wesleyan each getting two selections apiece. Glad to see three CCIW names on the First Team.

The Wheaton selections don't make any sense to me. Lindquist has no business as a First Team selection, especially when you look at the production from Jacob Maher of Worcester State (986 yards and 14 touchdowns). Wheaton failed to get Lindquist the ball as frequently as he deserved (324 yards and 4 TD) and defenses made it a point to contain him. His reputation from last year carried him to a First Team nod but he is not deserving of being named ahead of Maher.

Similarly seeing Greenlee as a Third Team selection is bizarre. A First Team selection by the AFCA and one of only four DEs on the AP All-American team. Second in the nation in sacks and sixth in the nation in tackles for loss with only 10 games played. Disappointing to say the least.

Not CCIW related but how is Fanene from UMHB not a First Teamer? Might be the most dominant DL in the country.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

Pat Coleman

I think there's a difference between piling up huge numbers for a team in the middle of the pack in the MASCAC and doing anything of the sort for a team in contention in the CCIW.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

On defensive ends, clearly a difference in opinion although we certainly see Greenlee as a great defensive end. As we were talking through our All-America listings, it was noted that it was definitely a deep year at the position. When digging inside the players listed, though, you might want to look at the game by game totals for sacks for Greenlee, because something stuck out for us that was a bit of a separator.

Fanene, yes, also a fantastic defensive end, but we could only put two on the first team and we feel confident we got the right two.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

USee

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 18, 2017, 11:39:15 AM
On defensive ends, clearly a difference in opinion although we certainly see Greenlee as a great defensive end. As we were talking through our All-America listings, it was noted that it was definitely a deep year at the position. When digging inside the players listed, though, you might want to look at the game by game totals for sacks for Greenlee, because something stuck out for us that was a bit of a separator.

Fanene, yes, also a fantastic defensive end, but we could only put two on the first team and we feel confident we got the right two.

Though  I have no issue with the voting and I believe Greenlee is as good a DE as there is in D3, in looking through the game by game totals for each of the DE's, I don't see anything that would be a "separator". Greenlee had his biggest games against his best competition (NCC 6 tckls, 1 sack 2 TFL 3 pass BU, IWU 6 tcks, 2 sacks, 2.5 tfl, Carthage 7 tckls, 1.5 sacks, 3 TFl, Millikin 4 tckls, 2 sacks, 2 tfl). None of the other DE were any better in their biggest games.  I sincerely hope the voters did not penalize Greenlee for his 5 sack game against Carroll? The only other difference is the other DE's put up stats in playoff games which Greenlee didn't have the opportunity to do (but did last year). Outside of that I can't see there is much separation from these DE's

Having watched Fanene, Elijah Berry and Mamadou Soumahoro play this year (I didn't get to see Kerchner from Widener or Henslcher from UWW) I think Chase Greenlee is right there with that group in terms of impact on a game and playing at an elite level consistently

Pat Coleman

Rather than punishing him for having five sacks against Carroll, I think we look at it as taking "second in the nation in sacks" with a grain of salt.

Our staff was very close to giving Greenlee North Region DPOY despite the CCIW coaches selecting Jordan. However, at the All-American level, there were a ton of great defensive ends.

USee

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 18, 2017, 03:01:35 PM
Rather than punishing him for having five sacks against Carroll, I think we look at it as taking "second in the nation in sacks" with a grain of salt.

Our staff was very close to giving Greenlee North Region DPOY despite the CCIW coaches selecting Jordan. However, at the All-American level, there were a ton of great defensive ends.

Pat,

Thanks for the color, great to know he was well thought of. I agree those other DE's were excellent and there were some tough choices.

formerd3db

Wishing all of you posters here on the CCIW board a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years holidays and all the best in 2018 as well as safe travels for those who will be doing so.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

ScotKiltman

"  This current coaching staff, head coach included, needed to address this during their games they played."

I'm pretty sure Bell has an idea how to turn programs around.  I think he might have put together a case study of it in Monmouth. You know Monmouth, the team that goes to the playoffs most years since he took over and put that staff in place?  How did that team look prior to him and his assistants?  With so many years of ineptitude that you speak of at Augie you should probably think about getting a President and a Board who supports athletics fully. Otherwise it won't matter who is sitting in the driver seat or what assistants are calling plays. 
"High above the hills of Galesburg, there's an awful stench.  Some say it's a garbage box, others say HECK NO IT'S KNOX!"  -Ole

USee

Quote from: ScotKiltman on January 02, 2018, 04:44:52 PM
"  This current coaching staff, head coach included, needed to address this during their games they played."

I'm pretty sure Bell has an idea how to turn programs around.  I think he might have put together a case study of it in Monmouth. You know Monmouth, the team that goes to the playoffs most years since he took over and put that staff in place?  How did that team look prior to him and his assistants?  With so many years of ineptitude that you speak of at Augie you should probably think about getting a President and a Board who supports athletics fully. Otherwise it won't matter who is sitting in the driver seat or what assistants are calling plays.

What do you make of the Augie basketball team?

Gregory Sager

Or the Augie baseball team?

Or the Augie track team?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Augie6

Quote from: ScotKiltman on January 02, 2018, 04:44:52 PM

From what I've seen the past three seasons, I'm not so sure about that.  The years of ineptitude you mention, really started with the hiring of Rob Cushman, to begin the 2011 season.  From 2000-2010 his predecessor, Jim Barnes, compiled a 79-34 record (2nd highest winning % in the history of the program) and only had one non winning record of 5-5 in the 2007 season.  Although Cushman's hiring at Augie didn't help the program, he was still able to go 5-5 for 3 seasons in a row prior to Bell taking over.  The 3 seasons under Coach Bell have been the worst 3 year stretch at Augie in the history of the program.  Hard to make a case other than the program is in worse shape now, than it was 3 years ago, unless you are the Bears braintrust of George McCaskey/Ted Phillips/Ryan Pace.  Not going to go into the support of the administration, as that is something that has been discussed to death over the past several years.

Not to diminish the job he did coaching Monmouth, but it is much different turning around a program in the Midwest Conference than it is turning around a program in the CCIW.  The MWC basically has St. Norbert or Monmouth qualify for the playoffs every year, and they typically lose in the first round.  Haven't looked it up, but I don't think the conference has more than a win or two in the history of the D3 playoffs.  The CCIW has had 8 of its 9 teams make the playoffs at least once, with 55 wins.   The level of competition is just significantly different between the two conferences, and, as such, you have to recruit better players to compete in the CCIW than you do to compete in the MWC.  I have wondered if that may be part of the problem as it relates to the recruiting that Coach Bell and his staff have done since they arrived at Augie.  From what I have heard coming from the program, they feel like they have gotten good recruits into the program and that they should be getting better.  3 seasons going 4-6, 3-7 and 1-9 would seem to contradict that.  When you watch Augie, you see a bunch of undersized players with limited athletic abilities.  Hard to compete with the NCC's, Wheatons and IWU's of the conference when you are physically overmatched, with no team speed.   Maybe these players would be more successful in the Midwest conference, but, so far, they are not cutting it in the CCIW.   
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86