FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NESCAC.Football.Observer

Anyone REALLY GOOD in the last decade?

I ask that as my observation over the last 5 years is that one might have a "dual sport" kid, but that fewer and fewer kids are succeeding at the dual sport thing in the NESCAC.....

IMO and observation the dual sport kids fall behind their main sport peers as their focus on the 2nd sport detracts from the time for improvement that their peers get.......

quicksilver

It looks like Bowdoin may be getting a new turf field and some other Whittier Field upgrades. An anonymous donor had committed "in the millions" to the project, with the proviso that the new field must be ready for the upcoming season (fall of 2018). Planning seems to be moving along at a nice clip, with news of the project being made available to the public primarily because of the need to engage with government agencies to get the necessary permits and to placate neighbors . . It's about time!!!!

maineman

Currently at Middlebury, there is a three sport athlete.  Frank Cosolito is TE in football, a Def in hockey and a Mid in Lacrosse.  He has played regularly in all three and has been a contributor.  It will be interesting to see if he keeps it up for all 4 years or specializes.

JEFFFAN

How about that kid from Middlebury a few years ago?   Played basketball and I think baseball?

In the 1970s, Amherst had a guy by the name of Billy Swiacki.   Four year starter in three sports - baseball, basketball, and football - who played Triple A baseball for the Dodgers for a number of years but never making it to "the show".   Also drafted in the seventh round by the New York football Giants.

frank uible

Presumably Swiacki is the son of the legendary end from Columbia.

amh63

Wow Frank U.!   That is a gem to follow up on!  +K
Going back to the '60's, there is Jean Fugett from Baltimore that Played Football and basketball at Amherst and then played in the NFL for the Cowboys and the Redskins...an unique NFL career :)
With his sister-in-law, bid on the Balitimore professional baseball franchise...a three sport man ;D  Just fooling around wrt baseball.

Vandy74

Quote from: JEFFFAN on March 23, 2017, 01:26:47 PM

How about that kid from Middlebury a few years ago?   Played basketball and I think baseball?

In the 1970s, Amherst had a guy by the name of Billy Swiacki.   Four year starter in three sports - baseball, basketball, and football - who played Triple A baseball for the Dodgers for a number of years but never making it to "the show".   Also drafted in the seventh round by the New York football Giants.

As sophomores, MC basketball's Hunter Merryman and Dylan Sinnickson were the baseball team's leading hitters, both sporting a .379 BA.  Neither played their junior season but Sinnickson returned his senior year hitting .364 and a team-leading 5 homeruns.

Middlebury had a three-sport athlete in Krystina Reynolds, presently a senior, who stopped participating after her sophomore season due to concussion issues. (I think)  While she played sparingly for the lacrosse team, she was a key player off the bench in basketball averaging 18 minutes per game and 5 points.  She was a regular contributor in soccer, starting 4 of the 17 games she played in. 

JEFFFAN

Quote from: frank uible on March 23, 2017, 02:14:52 PM
Presumably Swiacki is the son of the legendary end from Columbia.

Yes, the elder Swiacki played at Columbia.   He also played professional football for the NY Giants with famed Amherst College football coach, Jim Ostendarp.

NESCAC.Football.Observer

Quote from: amh63 on March 23, 2017, 03:36:59 PM

Going back to the '60's, there is Jean Fugett from Baltimore that Played Football and basketball at Amherst and then played in the NFL for the Cowboys and the Redskins.

Amherst '72 Jean Fugett's son-in-law is Adam Jones, the Baltimore Orioles' and WCS Champion USA's CF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Jones_(baseball)?wprov=sfsi1

Grabowski

Quote from: NESCAC.Football.Observer on March 22, 2017, 06:26:39 PM
Anyone REALLY GOOD in the last decade?

I ask that as my observation over the last 5 years is that one might have a "dual sport" kid, but that fewer and fewer kids are succeeding at the dual sport thing in the NESCAC.....

IMO and observation the dual sport kids fall behind their main sport peers as their focus on the 2nd sport detracts from the time for improvement that their peers get.......

Wes' Devon Carillo was 1st team all NESCAC last fall and then went to Nationals in wrestling this month.

toad22

Quote from: dman on March 22, 2017, 04:42:22 PM
Also from Williams going a bit further back, Rob Bice- Basketball and Golf; and Rich Williams- Football and Basketball.

Also, Jim Frew, basketball and baseball, both at an all NESCAC level.

TheHerst2and4

Quote from: toad22 on March 25, 2017, 04:02:39 AM
Also, Jim Frew, basketball and baseball, both at an all NESCAC level.
Hearing that name puts a smile on my face, I grew up watching Jim play at Saint John's High School and tried to model my game after his as a youngster (minus the scoring prowess). Thanks for the nostalgia

As mentioned over on the basketball boards, I believe a recent Amherst hoops recruit, Garret Day of Avonworth in Pittsburgh is heading to Amherst to play both football and basketball. He might just focus on hoops, but he had a great year in football as well: threw for 1,339 yards and 17 touchdowns, added 12 receptions for 130 yards, and led his team with 810 yards on 144 carries and 11 touchdowns.

football
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4398472/garrett-day
hoops
http://www.hudl.com/profile/3622131/garrett-day

amh63

TheHerst2and4.....maybe you can show the new fellow on the block the way? :  All around football player, based on his stats.
Good stuff from other posters here.

PolarCat

Quote from: Grabowski on March 18, 2017, 05:59:19 PM
Sports Illustrated did a ranking of the 600+ NCAA schools in terms of "best" for athletics.  They don't explain how they did it very well, but the top 5 are Stanford, UND, Michigan, Duke, and Virginia, so it's some combo of athletic and academic excellence.  Congrats to Bowdoin and Middlebury for making the top ten.

http://www.si.com/campus-rush/2017/best-schools-for-sports-lovers

Bowdoin and Midd showed why they made the list yesterday, with the Polar Bear Men's and Women's Lacrosse teams each notching OT wins (in the MLAX case, Double OT) wins over Midd.  For the women, it was only the second time in Bowdoin history that a Bowdoin side defeated a reigning National Champion.  An exciting game, helped along by the Men's Tennis team who were there cheering loudly (and probably following some semi-pro "pregaming") directly behind the Bowdoin bench.  The boisterous attitude of Bruins fans at the Garden, with the rapier wit to be found at a top academic school, delivered by kids who each looked like the President of the Young Republicans Club.

There's something special about NESCAC sports, and yesterday showed why Bowdoin and Midd deserve their mention by SI.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: amh63 on March 19, 2017, 11:11:23 AM
Was on the campus of the Un of Cal-Santa Cruz  about the time their Mascot was selected....Sea Slugs.  Nice campus by the Sea on a rock bed that causes water shortage problems for the school.  Their Mascot is appropriate, imo.

That's not UCSC's mascot, amh63. You've got the wrong mollusk. The school's nickname is the Banana Slugs, not the Sea Slugs. Unlike sea slugs, banana slugs are terrestrial. They're also much bigger than any species of sea slug -- the banana slug is the second-largest slug in the world, in fact -- and they're native to the UCSC campus, which is a major reason why the school's students picked it to be the school's nickname. This is a banana slug:

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell