BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllStar

Keene State certainly looks like they will be swept by Southern Maine, and will go into the final two conference games at 4-8 and in a jumbled mess toward the bottom of the standings.  Five of eight teams in the conference have losing records in league play.

hockeyfan77

USM swept Keene State  9-3 and 11-8 today to improve to 24-8 (11-1 in the LEC) on the season:

Up next for USM:

Sunday April 30 vs Western New England @ 1

hockeyfan77

USM makes it 18 out of 19 with a 4-1 victory over Western New England to improve to 25-8 (11-1 in the LEC) on the season:

Up next for USM:

Tuesday May 2 vs Bowdoin @ 4:30

KSCfan

Going into last weekend........

6th place Keene has two with eastern
Tied for 6th RIC has two with Western
7th and first out Plymouth State has two with Umass Boston
Tied for 7th Western has two with RIC

gonna be interesting to see who gets in as at this point anyone can play their way in and or play their way out. 

Tie breakers are head to head first and and then whats second tiebreaker for the league?? I know that for instance Keene and Plymouth split, what happens if they both finish tied for 6th and final spot whos in and whos out?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hockeyfan77 on April 13, 2017, 10:18:30 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 13, 2017, 09:12:40 AM
Quote from: hockeyfan77 on April 11, 2017, 11:21:05 PM
USM downs Colby today 9-6 to improve to 14-7 (4-0 in the LEC) on the season:

Next up for USM:

Thursday April 13 @ Saint Joseph's @ 3
Hockeyfan77, thanks for the updates on USM.  I am trying to get fan's eye view of the LEC. USM did not start quite as strong as I expected and I haven't identified the LEC frontrunner to my satisfaction.

Right now, as a fans' perspective, and a "homer's" view is okay, what percentage of 100% do you give USM as being the #1 team in the final conference standings, and what conference record will USM have?  (For example, do you think that USM has a 50% chance of being #1 with an 11-3 record?)

Who might be 2nd and with what record?

And any other fan can jump in here and give me his/her best guess!

... an early season assessment before conference really gets going...

Thanks.

It's early but if I had to go with what I have seen... I would say the top two teams would be USM and U-Mass Boston: although UMB already has a conference loss and because  of that I would say USM has a  60% chance and UMB 40% of finishing first

after the top two the next two team are Eastern Conn and Mass Dartmouth

I think the standings will end up something like this:

1.USM  12-2

2 UMB  11-3

3 UMD  8-6

4 ECSU 8-6

than the rest:  though I think Plymouth is a step above the rest of the remaining teams

But a lot can happen, especially with the quality of ball played in the conference 

USM core team is very young, a ton of Freshman and Sophomores so they are going to be a handful in a year or two: if they can stay healthy...
hockeyfan77.

I asked your opinion on how the LEC was going, so I wanted to acknowledged your estimation of the strengths of the top of the LEC

With one week to go, here are the standings.
Southern Maine 11-1 0.917 96 52  25-8 0.758 249 158 9-1 Won 3   and hosting UMD
Mass-Boston 9-3 0.750 87 44  24-9 0.727 233 128 9-1 Won 7         and hosting W Conn
Mass-Dartmouth 8-4 0.667 73 61  21-15 0.583 245 206 6-4 Lost 1   and at USM
Eastern Connecticut 6-6 0.500 90 88  17-13 0.567 213 204 5-5 Won 2 and hosting KSC

Looks very prescient!  +1!

AllStar

Quote from: KSCfan on May 01, 2017, 09:45:02 AM

gonna be interesting to see who gets in as at this point anyone can play their way in and or play their way out. 

Tie breakers are head to head first and and then whats second tiebreaker for the league?? I know that for instance Keene and Plymouth split, what happens if they both finish tied for 6th and final spot whos in and whos out?

If it is anything like other sports within the Little East or other leagues in general, if the teams split the season series it goes to record vs. teams in order of their standing.  For example, in the scenario you mentioned, since Keene and Plymouth split, it would go to their record vs. the team in first (USM).  They both got swept there, so it keeps going.  They both got swept by second place UMass-Boston and third place UMass-Dartmouth.  Keene hasn't played Eastern Connecticut and Plymouth went 1-1 vs. the Warriors.

hockeyfan77

Quote from: AllStar on May 01, 2017, 03:39:01 PM
Quote from: KSCfan on May 01, 2017, 09:45:02 AM

If it is anything like other sports within the Little East or other leagues in general, if the teams split the season series it goes to record vs. teams in order of their standing.  For example, in the scenario you mentioned, since Keene and Plymouth split, it would go to their record vs. the team in first (USM).  They both got swept there, so it keeps going.  They both got swept by second place UMass-Boston and third place UMass-Dartmouth.  Keene hasn't played Eastern Connecticut and Plymouth went 1-1 vs. the Warriors.

This is correct!

hockeyfan77

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 01, 2017, 10:29:16 AM
Quote from: hockeyfan77 on April 13, 2017, 10:18:30 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 13, 2017, 09:12:40 AM
Quote from: hockeyfan77 on April 11, 2017, 11:21:05 PM
USM downs Colby today 9-6 to improve to 14-7 (4-0 in the LEC) on the season:

Next up for USM:

Thursday April 13 @ Saint Joseph's @ 3
Hockeyfan77, thanks for the updates on USM.  I am trying to get fan's eye view of the LEC. USM did not start quite as strong as I expected and I haven't identified the LEC frontrunner to my satisfaction.

Right now, as a fans' perspective, and a "homer's" view is okay, what percentage of 100% do you give USM as being the #1 team in the final conference standings, and what conference record will USM have?  (For example, do you think that USM has a 50% chance of being #1 with an 11-3 record?)

Who might be 2nd and with what record?

And any other fan can jump in here and give me his/her best guess!

... an early season assessment before conference really gets going...

Thanks.

It's early but if I had to go with what I have seen... I would say the top two teams would be USM and U-Mass Boston: although UMB already has a conference loss and because  of that I would say USM has a  60% chance and UMB 40% of finishing first

after the top two the next two team are Eastern Conn and Mass Dartmouth

I think the standings will end up something like this:

1.USM  12-2

2 UMB  11-3

3 UMD  8-6

4 ECSU 8-6

than the rest:  though I think Plymouth is a step above the rest of the remaining teams

But a lot can happen, especially with the quality of ball played in the conference 

USM core team is very young, a ton of Freshman and Sophomores so they are going to be a handful in a year or two: if they can stay healthy...
hockeyfan77.

I asked your opinion on how the LEC was going, so I wanted to acknowledged your estimation of the strengths of the top of the LEC

With one week to go, here are the standings.
Southern Maine 11-1 0.917 96 52  25-8 0.758 249 158 9-1 Won 3   and hosting UMD
Mass-Boston 9-3 0.750 87 44  24-9 0.727 233 128 9-1 Won 7         and hosting W Conn
Mass-Dartmouth 8-4 0.667 73 61  21-15 0.583 245 206 6-4 Lost 1   and at USM
Eastern Connecticut 6-6 0.500 90 88  17-13 0.567 213 204 5-5 Won 2 and hosting KSC

Looks very prescient!  +1!

Thank you!   I think the top 6 teams are very close(Western and RIC will IMO be left out): Conference tourney should be interesting: but first they have to find a way to get the games in this weekend, Heavy rain due in New England Friday-Monday

hockeyfan77

USM makes it 19 out of 20 with a 8-7 come from behind victory over Bowdoin today:  USM is now 26-8 (11-1 in the LEC)

Next up for USM:

Wednesday May 3 vs Bates @ 3:30

hockeyfan77

USM make it 20 out of 21 with a 8-3 victory over Bates today:  USM is now 27-8 (11-1 in the LEC)

Next up for USM:

Thursday May 4 vs U-Mass Dartmouth @ Noon   (DH)

KSCfan

Big Thursday in the league today as a lot of teams moved their double headers to today. 

Quick question here....

Is USM gonna qualify for an at large bid?  Will Umass Boston?  I guess my question is what are the odds of the LEC sending two teams to the regional?  I think that it would be pretty good.  Both UMB and USM have 27 wins.  You would think that they will most likely get to 30, and i often feel that 30 is the magical number. 

To stir the pot even more, lets say someone (maybe even Keene.... yes im a homer) sneaks up and wins the tournament.  Will the LEC get three teams with one team leaving new england to go play in NY or NJ?

KSCfan

So I did some research...

The LEC has sent two or more teams to the NCAA tournament in 5 of the last 7 years

2016- UMB -Mid atlantic  Eastern- NE
2015- USM- New England
2014- USM and Eastern-New England
2013- USM- New England
2012- Keene and USM -New England
2011- Eastern- NY and RIC New England
2010- Eastern and UMB- New England  Keene -New York

hopefully they get two more this year as well

Jim Dixon

Quote from: KSCfan on May 04, 2017, 08:33:14 AM
Big Thursday in the league today as a lot of teams moved their double headers to today. 

Quick question here....

Is USM gonna qualify for an at large bid?  Will Umass Boston?  I guess my question is what are the odds of the LEC sending two teams to the regional?  I think that it would be pretty good.  Both UMB and USM have 27 wins.  You would think that they will most likely get to 30, and i often feel that 30 is the magical number. 

To stir the pot even more, lets say someone (maybe even Keene.... yes im a homer) sneaks up and wins the tournament.  Will the LEC get three teams with one team leaving new england to go play in NY or NJ?

A two and out is the disaster awaiting any potential Pool C bid.  Also 30 wins do not guarantee a playoff spot and there are plenty of 30 win teams that stayed home.  I also expect if three LEC teams make the tournament, the committee will look at sending all three to a different regional if the field allows it.

AllStar

Keene State beat Eastern Connecticut 4-1 before losing 12-6.  The Owls are 14-21, 5-9 in the Little East and will be the No. 6 seed in the conference tournament beginning next Wednesday.  Keene will have to play top-seeded Southern Maine at 12:00 pm on 5/10.  The other matchups include No. 3 seed UMass-Dartmouth vs. No. 4 seed Eastern Connecticut and No. 2 seed UMass-Boston vs. No. 5 seed Rhode Island College.  Western Connecticut and Plymouth State did not make the tournament.

hockeyfan77

USM split  a DH with U-Mass Dartmouth winning 9-1 and losing 4-3:  USM is now 28-9 (12-2 in the LEC) on the season:

Next Up for USM:

Wednesday May 10 vs Keene State @ Noon