MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joehakes

Illinois Tech doesn't have a landing place on the D3Boards as a provisional independent, but I thought that this august group might be interested in the article from today's Chicago Tribune that is linked to D3Hoops.com's front page.  The article focuses on the use of data analytics of groups of five players on the floor rather than just individual. Todd Kelly worked with graduate math students to create something pretty interesting.  Not too often that a DIII program makes the front page of the sports section in the Trib.

And BTW, I would take that list of non-senior MOP's in the CCIW on my roster any day.  That is a group of players!  And the think of the people who didn't make that list.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on February 16, 2017, 11:00:07 AM
Just a quick point I forgot to make last night...

I disagree completely with anyone who says Wheaton played harder than IWU last night or "wanted it more."   I wasn't in the gym but even watching the stream I could tell the Titans played their tails off last night.  They played hard for 40 minutes and badly wanted to win that game.  Wheaton just played better and made more big plays.

Absolutely. IWU is trying to qualify  for both the conference and national tournaments. How could that possibly cause them to preform with a lack of desire? Besides, I think they know that if Ron Rose noticed a lack of desire/effort by a player, said player would find himself occupying a spot on the bench sooner rather than later.

AppletonRocks

Sager is my BOY......Broadcaster of the Year.  ;)
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

augiefan

I guess no one has noticed how much Wheaton has improved during the course of the season. Their win last night at home over IWU was not really an upset. And yes Francis is an incredible talent.

augiefan

Barring Augie upset at NPU or IWU it looks like we will have a 3 way tie for first place among Carthage, NPU and Augie at 11-5 with IWU landing the 4th spot in the tourney at 10-6. Since Carthage split with Augie and beast NPU twice, the tourney would be in Kenosha. I guess that would pit Carthage against IWU and Augie against NPU in the semis. Really hard to predict who would win out among teams that are so evenly matched.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: joehakes on February 16, 2017, 02:13:22 PM
Illinois Tech doesn't have a landing place on the D3Boards as a provisional independent, but I thought that this august group might be interested in the article from today's Chicago Tribune that is linked to D3Hoops.com's front page.  The article focuses on the use of data analytics of groups of five players on the floor rather than just individual. Todd Kelly worked with graduate math students to create something pretty interesting.  Not too often that a DIII program makes the front page of the sports section in the Trib.

I went to read that article, Joe, but I got distracted by this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-hygge-is-so-2016-seven-wines-to-try-story.html

It's a good article, though. It makes sense that the same data analytics revolution that's currently driving baseball should translate over into basketball as well.

Quote from: joehakes on February 16, 2017, 02:13:22 PMAnd BTW, I would take that list of non-senior MOP's in the CCIW on my roster any day.  That is a group of players!  And the think of the people who didn't make that list.

Even if you set aside the two NBA alumni, if you took any three of those sophomores and juniors and put 'em on a team with CCIW replacement-value players you'd be the odds-on favorite to cut down the net in Salem. You could probably make a pretty good run with just two of them as well.

Quote from: augiefan on February 16, 2017, 03:47:47 PM
I guess no one has noticed how much Wheaton has improved during the course of the season. Their win last night at home over IWU was not really an upset. And yes Francis is an incredible talent.

I think it was an upset, although not a huge one.

Quote from: augiefan on February 16, 2017, 04:02:33 PM
Barring Augie upset at NPU

I'm not buying the idea that NPU's the favorite in that one, either. Massey's got Augie at 57/43 favorability over the Park, which is a fairly sizeable margin. And it's certainly not likely that Juwan Henry's going to be back to his old self by Saturday night at 7 pm.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Quote from: AndOne on February 16, 2017, 03:02:36 PM

I disagree completely with anyone who says Wheaton played harder than IWU last night or "wanted it more."   I wasn't in the gym but even watching the stream I could tell the Titans played their tails off last night.  They played hard for 40 minutes and badly wanted to win that game.  Wheaton just played better and made more big plays.

Absolutely. IWU is trying to qualify  for both the conference and national tournaments. How could that possibly cause them to preform with a lack of desire? Besides, I think they know that if Ron Rose noticed a lack of desire/effort by a player, said player would find himself occupying a spot on the bench sooner rather than later.
I did think Wheaton out hustled,,or at least quicker to the loose ball, than IWU last night.  And, there were a lot of loose balls and rebounds that just bounced the right way to Wheaton.  Several rebounds just landed right into their hands just a right place right time type of thing.

WUPHF

Thanks guys for answering my question about past POY winners.

The history reminded me: North Central has the best uniforms in the league this season, though they need the retro shorts that Jack Sikma would have worn.

AndOne

Quote from: iwumichigander on February 16, 2017, 04:28:54 PM
Quote from: AndOne on February 16, 2017, 03:02:36 PM

I did think Wheaton out hustled,,or at least quicker to the loose ball, than IWU last night.  And, there were a lot of loose balls and rebounds that just bounced the right way to Wheaton.  Several rebounds just landed right into their hands just a right place right time type of thing.

If you made a list of the top 2-3 qualities of each CCIW team, I don't think that most people would list quickness as being one of chief attributes describing the usual starting contingent for IWU.

AndOne

Quote from: WUH on February 16, 2017, 04:46:11 PM
Thanks guys for answering my question about past POY winners.

The history reminded me: North Central has the best uniforms in the league this season, though they need the retro shorts that Jack Sikma would have worn.

WUH,

Are you talking home or road? And what specific detail(s) do you feel land the NCC unis at the top of your list?

WUPHF

I like the road uniforms.  They look have an understated, retro look.  The stylized font works well.

AndOne

They are new this year. The players had a large part in the final design choice. Two of their top considerations were an understated/classic look, and the script lettering.

Dennis_Prikkel

Add Leon Gobczynski, Millikin junior 1974 to the MOP list.
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

bopol

Quote from: 4samuy on February 13, 2017, 10:24:36 PM
Greg,

All good points.  And I understand that there are three games to go and a lot can still happen, but using the eye test, if the CCIW is less than a two bid league, as some have intimated, would be criminal IMHO.

Teams get Pool C, not conferences.  Right now, I think the CCIW has 4 teams that would be on the bubble (Augie, Carthage, IWU and North Park) with Augie in the best shape.  Each is slightly flawed, but I think there are only about 8-10 almost sure thing Pool C teams.  It will be very interesting what happens once those teams (and any bubble bursters) are off the table.  If I were to guess, the biggest problem will be coming up with a clear order for the CCIW teams if chaos reigns and the teams hit conference tournament all with identical 18-7 records.

This will be fun.

bbfan44

Quote from: augiefan on February 16, 2017, 03:47:47 PM

And the "hottest" I believe, with 4 wins in a row.