Author Topic: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 4405091 times)

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #45135 on: December 16, 2017, 09:43:54 pm »
Last night Alma, the early favorite of the coaches for second place, lost again, putting their record at 1-5(?).    Not only is their record quite poor, but the team they lost against does not appear to be that strong

??? ???

Paging AndOne, paging AndOne, please pick up the white courtesy phone ...
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #45136 on: December 16, 2017, 09:56:56 pm »
Last night Alma, the early favorite of the coaches for second place, lost again, putting their record at 1-5(?).    Not only is their record quite poor, but the team they lost against does not appear to be that strong

??? ???

North Central could probably win this years MIAA, and I'm not even sure it would be real close.
Give to Hope
Twitter  --proudly blocked by an MIAA coach I've never conversed with in any way.  That is being in your head.

Offline oldknight

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45137 on: December 16, 2017, 10:07:41 pm »
Calvin suffers a disappointing 79-74 loss to a superb, 8th ranked, UW-Oshkosh quintet in a game highly reminiscent of the Knight loss at Aquinas. In both games, Calvin played the first 35 minutes quite well, leading almost the entire way, only to lose it down the stretch as the Knights couldn't execute their offense when they really needed to do so. Hopefully, this won't be a recurring theme this season.

Well, right now, it is. For the third time this season, Calvin coughed up a lead the final five minutes (actually less than four minutes this time, so maybe they're showing us progress in small increments). Fortunately, the Knights built a lead just large enough (9 points) to withstand a poor offensive showing down the stretch. That nine point margin occurred when Austin Bykerk, who had his best all-around game as a Knight, baited Carthage player Jordan Vedder with a side comment after Vedder's hard foul with 3:48 left in regulation and the Knights nursing a 66-61 advantage. Would love to know what Austin said but whatever it was (presumably Christmas greetings were not conveyed), Vedder took exception, shoving Bykerk resulting in a technical foul and four free throws for the home team, all of which were made to give Calvin a seemingly safe 70-61 lead. I remarked to another fan how I was interested in seeing if the Knights would protect their lead down the stretch of this game better than the earlier disappointments we saw. They didn't, a collapse fueled by a combination of poor decision making and missed shots. The Knights were fortunate to get to overtime when Brad Kruse saw his runner in the lane fall short at the end of regulation. Calvin wouldn't score from the 3:48 mark of regulation until 4:02 was left in overtime, yet scrambled back into the game, seemingly more comfortable playing from behind than with the lead. That's not a good bad habit to develop. I think Calvin has reasonably good talent, but you can't be a good team that beats other good teams if you don't know how to hold a lead at the end of games. Right now, no one seems comfortable taking charge in that situation. My hope is that Luke Morrison will develop into that guy. I sense that Bosko is building a good club with the roster he has, a roster than includes at ton of size, led by that mountain of a man, Brad Perry at 6'11", 285. This kid is a load and if he learns to pass the ball just a little bit out of the post, Carthage will be all the better for it. Other game notes:

--I talked to Michael Wilks' father and it's only been the last two days that Michael has felt normal since his collision in the Martin Luther game over two weeks ago. Michael is a very smart kid but this week's exams were . . . a challenge for him.

--Despite being outsized by at least two players on the Carthage roster, Austin Bykerk came up with a terrific game when his team really needed him to show some grit, and the Unity Christian product responded. Bykerk led the Knights with 19 points, 9 boards and 3 blocks.

--For the second straight game, Derrick DeVries gave Calvin a real offensive lift in Wilks' absence, scoring 18 on the strength of 3-3 from the arc. Once teams realize that despite Derrick's size, he's really more of a perimeter player, opposing defenses tend to adjust and he finds the going harder as the game progresses. He's really good at extending the floor for Calvin's offense though.

--Tony Canonie continues to be a warrior, logging 40 minutes, hounding Derek Mason into a 6-18 shooting night. and adding 10 points and 7 assists. The normally sure-handed young man from South Haven did make 5 turnovers though, which is very unusual for him, including a couple late in regulation which really hurt.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:52:00 pm by oldknight »

Offline AndOne

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45138 on: December 16, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »

??? ???

North Central could probably win this years MIAA, and I'm not even sure it would be real close.

Multiple choice..........
The above is an insult to
A) The MIAA?
B) NCC?
C) Both?
You don't always have to win every game. You just have to win the right ones. (AndOne)

There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys-----there's only you and me, and we just disagree.
(Dave Mason)

You gotta lose to know how to win. (Aerosmith)

So who's the hunter 🐅, ........and who's the game 🐃? (Scandal)

Online KnightSlappy

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Forever Faithful | A Calvin Knights Blog
« Reply #45139 on: December 16, 2017, 10:18:54 pm »

??? ???

My metrics that only include this year's numbers have Calvin as the top team in the MIAA with an efficiency margin of +8 (points per 100 possessions above average). That would place them fifth in the CCIW (Carthage is a bit ahead). North Central is right up there with Illinois Wesleyan at +18 with Augustana at +23. Wheaton is just behind at +6 after their loss to Alma.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:21:49 pm by KnightSlappy »
D3 Men's National Pick Em League Champ-2011, 2016
Regional Ranking Data
D3 Efficiency Ratings

FFTMAG

Offline AndOne

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45140 on: December 16, 2017, 10:59:31 pm »

??? ???

Multiple choice..........
The above is an insult to
A) The MIAA?
B) NCC?
C) Both?

* Of course if the answer to the above is B, that would seem to contradict sac's earlier position delineated in his post following last night's game but,......................which seems to have disappeared since it was posted.  :o  ???  ;)

Central Region / Re: MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
on: Yesterday at 11:46:10 pm
NC 72  Alma 51

NC dominated the first half of this one but in kind of weird way as they only shot 40% against Alma's zone but defensively held Alma under 30%.  The first half rebounding was a staggering 31-13 advantage for NC with something like a dozen offensive rebounds yet that had few second chance points.

Alma did make it a better game in the second half and I think got the margin under ten once.  Key moment was probably Alma missing a fast break 3 that would have cut the lead to 7 only to see NC bury a 3 at the other end off the miss.  Potential 7 point margin to 13, the Cardinals buried them in the last 6 min.

Raridon played a secondary role in this one with Alma playing almost exclusively zone and doubling him anytime he got the ball within 15 feet of the bucket.  I don't know if NC normally plays him on the perimeter in a guard role but that was where he spent most of this one.  His buckets were mostly nifty step through the zone shot from mid range.   Alma did try to play man defense once and Raridon skillfully cut to the left wing and buried a silky smooth 3......and that was the last man defense Alma attempted, maybe for the season.

The entire margin of the game is exactly the difference of 14 made 3's for NC to 7 for Alma,  Scots had their chances they just couldn't make enough shots to stay with North Central.  But I never felt like Alma was a big threat, NC is simply bigger, stronger, deeper and a little more skilled overall.

Nice to see the Cardinals, always enjoy seeing good CCIW teams.
You don't always have to win every game. You just have to win the right ones. (AndOne)

There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys-----there's only you and me, and we just disagree.
(Dave Mason)

You gotta lose to know how to win. (Aerosmith)

So who's the hunter 🐅, ........and who's the game 🐃? (Scandal)

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45141 on: December 17, 2017, 01:32:12 am »
The post I made on Alma/NC didn't disappear, I only posted on the CCIW board last night.  http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4592.46665
Give to Hope
Twitter  --proudly blocked by an MIAA coach I've never conversed with in any way.  That is being in your head.

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45142 on: December 19, 2017, 10:07:19 pm »
Hope 91  St. Vincent 74

Fairly close contest most of the way, Hope finished on a strong run for the final margin.

J. Beckman 21, Hawkins 19, Towns 12, Ray 12, Granger 12

Hope's off tomorrow, play some school from Ohio on Thursday, Bald.......something, pretty sure they've never played in any significant soul crushing contests before. 
Give to Hope

Offline OC_SID

• Starter
  • GO COMETS!!
    • View Profile
    • Olivet College Athletics
« Reply #45143 on: December 20, 2017, 11:07:49 am »
Hope 91  St. Vincent 74

Fairly close contest most of the way, Hope finished on a strong run for the final margin.

J. Beckman 21, Hawkins 19, Towns 12, Ray 12, Granger 12

Hope's off tomorrow, play some school from Ohio on Thursday, Bald.......something, pretty sure they've never played in any significant soul crushing contests before.

Let me finish the name for you ....... Baldwin Wallace ... no worries, I was not present nor a student at the time of the significant soul crushing contest ...  ;D

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #45144 on: December 20, 2017, 03:01:53 pm »
Based on the stats and the radio call last night (I know, first time in forever not attending a Hope game in person), Dennis Towns had a really solid performance.  12 points, 9 boards, 6 assists, and 3 blocks in 30 minutes.  Couple that with 12 points and 5 rebounds off the bench for Preston Granger and 5 boards and 3 assists for Rob McGivney, and I'm encouraged.  Going to need that kind of effort from our bigs going forward.  Have to keep reminding myself that these three guys had a total of 364 minutes of varsity playing time prior to this season.  Dante and Jason are going to be the focus of the other teams defense, so the bigs play a big part in our success.  Teddy Ray (not sure if he's a big or a wing or a guard - he fulfills all those roles when needed, scoring, defending, rebounding) added to that mix and you have the makings of a team that can be pretty darn good.
2016 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Offline pointlem

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45145 on: December 20, 2017, 10:40:48 pm »
Hope leads St. Vincent by one point at half and wins by 17.
BalW leads St. Vincent by one point at half and wins by 17.

Perhaps an overtime game tomorrow night? Well, at least a good match up . . . and a good test for Hope's young team.

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45146 on: December 21, 2017, 12:22:49 am »
The other common opponent with the Yellowjackets is Marietta a 102-71 loss for Hope on opening night, and  73-72 last second win for BW a couple weeks later.  I would certainly like to think Hope has improved since that first game.

When placed side by side there are few things that stick out

--Hope is a slightly better shooting team, but only slightly.  Maybe an advantage if it turns into a uptempo high shot kind of game.
--BW is the much better rebounding team, a weak spot for Hope so far,  Hope is actually negative margin on the season
--BW loves the 3-point shot while maybe being only slightly above average, the 3-point line has been a sore spot for Hope defensively against good teams and BW will shoot a lot of them
--FG% defense is in BW's favor where Hope comes into the week near the bottom of D3, but BW is on the low end of avg here at 43%

Two pretty good offensive teams and maybe not so great defensively.

BW has two great wins against top 25's  UW-River Falls and Marietta, but also two curious kind of losses at Wheaton and at Muskingum.  On those nights BW didn't shoot the 3 ball very well, they survived not shooting it well at Marietta which could have been a loss.
Give to Hope

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45147 on: December 21, 2017, 09:36:02 pm »
BW 79  Hope 71

Hope made a mad scramble game of it after falling behind 65-51, never did have possession or chance to tie but were within 2 a couple times.  BW did a nice job knocking down FT's at the end.

Hawkins 25, Beckman 20, Granger 13

Give to Hope

Offline TUAngola

• Starter
  • Go TU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45148 on: December 24, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »
Quick synapsis of Trine MBB with one nonconference game to go before MIAA play begins

Record: 4-6, about where I thought we'd be.  With graduations and transfers last year, only a couple returners who were in the regular rotation on the squad, Copeland and Langston.  Everyone else is new, either transferred in or freshman or were injured, or football player (more on that later).  I've seen 5 of the 8 home games, some decent play at times, but a lot of trouble on defense, especially with teams with guards who can get to the rim, we aren't the quickest team.  We've rebounded ok, foul shooting and turnovers, a Trine staple in the past, has been average at best. 

Players:  Coach will probably play 8-9 guys heading into conference play, 3 who typically start will be Copeland, Smith and Paul.  2 out of these 3 should also start; Hunter, Johnston and Klune, depending on opposing team matchups.  2-3 others in rotation will probably be Corcoran, Brown, and Winters.  Marcus Winters is a neat story, 2nd semester addition after finishing his junior year on the football team as MIAA defensive player of the year and 2nd team All American.  Once he gets comfortable with the plays I think you'll see him get more playing time as the year goes on.

MIAA prediction:  I am guessing we'll be no better than 5-9 in the league.  I think the race is wide open for the 4 team post season tournament.  Besides Trine I've only seen Adrian play in person so far this year, they are much improved over last year and could sneak into the top 4.  Alma, Calvin, Hope and Olivet should be right up there too.     

Only 10 days until the WBB teams open up play at the brand new MTI Center.  Showdown with Hope.  Then the men home opener a week later against Adrian on the 10th, which will be the official grand opening of the arena.  Another "sneak peak" inside MTI, this time of the video board being installed. 

Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #45149 on: December 26, 2017, 12:15:40 pm »
Hey folks, only 8 days until the MIAA season tips off.  We are once again having a pick 'em contest (link to that below).  Given what many of us have seen as parity in the league this year, this contest will be a real challenge.  Please come join the fun:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=5915.new#new
2016 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight