MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopGuru

Be nice if it were home but I like UC's matchup Wednesday with JHU. Hard to beat the same team 3 times in one season. Especially when teams are so evenly matched. How the hell did they lose to Haverford at home though. Thats an awful loss.
"Separation is in the preparation"

Reserved Seat

njf1003,  I've been told 3 different times.  One said 3, two said 7, and one said 8.

njf1003

Quote from: Reserved Seat on February 19, 2017, 08:19:42 PM
njf1003,  I've been told 3 different times.  One said 3, two said 7, and one said 8.
Here's my source:
http://centennial.org/sports/mbkb/Championship

They'll be officially official after the conference call in the morning.

CentCraze88

What a year in the Cent! Another year of high quality basketball.  Think I'm going to go with Swarthmore reigning supreme at the conclusion of the bloodbath that is the conference tournament!! Think they have some premiere talent that complements very well, and they have been the best team all year.

Does anybody know what caused the delay in the McDaniel/Muhlenberg game yesterday?  I wanted to watch the livestream of the game but was forced to abandon ship midway through because of a previous commitment at 515.  Such a shame to see how LaRose, Schreer, and Hunter go out in such fashion, with a below average, sufferable season concluding with them finishing 8th in the conference.  Really thought these guys would be the foundation of a formidable team, yet it wasn't meant to be.  Seems like they can never be anywhere close to the sum of their parts, forget about coming together as a team and achieving something that exceeds their talent level.  Feel like Muhlenberg should be a more successful program given the strong caliber of their football and soccer programs, as well as their women's basketball team.  Outworked and outcoached nearly every night, it is sad to see the three guys go out like this.  Really had a high expectations for Hunter, but maybe that was simply he was coming from Florida and I had assumed the level of play there might be a little higher than that of the traditional mid-atlantic Centennial cookie cutter player.  Alas, mediocrity is the nicest word I could come up with to describe the career that he and his fellow senior classmates experienced.

Really disappointed with Hopkins' result yesterday, having a home game against a perennial bottom feeder to clinch the 2 seed is essentially a gift from god, but it is a shame that JHU couldn't get it done.  Really thinking that Swartmore and F&M are the definite favorites to get to the title game.   Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the conference tournament!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: CentCraze88 on February 19, 2017, 11:24:03 PM
What a year in the Cent! Another year of high quality basketball.  Think I'm going to go with Swarthmore reigning supreme at the conclusion of the bloodbath that is the conference tournament!! Think they have some premiere talent that complements very well, and they have been the best team all year.

Does anybody know what caused the delay in the McDaniel/Muhlenberg game yesterday?  I wanted to watch the livestream of the game but was forced to abandon ship midway through because of a previous commitment at 515.  Such a shame to see how LaRose, Schreer, and Hunter go out in such fashion, with a below average, sufferable season concluding with them finishing 8th in the conference.  Really thought these guys would be the foundation of a formidable team, yet it wasn't meant to be.  Seems like they can never be anywhere close to the sum of their parts, forget about coming together as a team and achieving something that exceeds their talent level.  Feel like Muhlenberg should be a more successful program given the strong caliber of their football and soccer programs, as well as their women's basketball team.  Outworked and outcoached nearly every night, it is sad to see the three guys go out like this.  Really had a high expectations for Hunter, but maybe that was simply he was coming from Florida and I had assumed the level of play there might be a little higher than that of the traditional mid-atlantic Centennial cookie cutter player.  Alas, mediocrity is the nicest word I could come up with to describe the career that he and his fellow senior classmates experienced.

Really disappointed with Hopkins' result yesterday, having a home game against a perennial bottom feeder to clinch the 2 seed is essentially a gift from god, but it is a shame that JHU couldn't get it done.  Really thinking that Swartmore and F&M are the definite favorites to get to the title game.   Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the conference tournament!

I heard that the Muhl bus broke down both on the way to and back from the game.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 20, 2017, 11:45:32 AM
Quote from: CentCraze88 on February 19, 2017, 11:24:03 PM

I heard that the Muhl bus broke down both on the way to and back from the game.

I was at the games... Muhlenberg's bus broke down on the way to the game... causing a one-hour delay. It then broke down on the way home, causing them to be stuck in Gettysburg. You may remember Muhlenberg's bus broke down a year or two ago just after leaving McDaniel. The MCD staff shuttled the teams back to the confines of the Gill Center until a new bus could be brought to them (I think McDaniel's bus company helped out on that one). To steal from a colleague #NotMyBusCompany - maybe Muhlenberg needs to find a new group!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sunny

Quote from: njf1003 on February 19, 2017, 03:32:24 PM
Quote from: Reserved Seat on February 19, 2017, 12:35:48 PM
Did anyone see what time was posted for the championship game on Saturday?  I can't seem to locate it anywhere.
Friday
6:00 4/5 winner @ Swat
8:00 Dickinson/F&M

Saturday
8:00 Winner v. Winner @ Swat

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 19, 2017, 01:22:46 PM
Quote from: sunny on February 19, 2017, 06:36:49 AM
This is correct. It's a recent change for the conference in how tiebreakers are applied across all sports. If one team wins the three way tie, the criteria is re-applied, starting with head-to-head, among the remaining teams.

Yikes -- this is new to the Centennial? Pretty standard fare for breaking three-way ties.
No, that's the way the centennial has done it for a while. It hasn't changed recently. It's just not seen vert often where a different order of tiebreakers causes different results like this.

Yes, it actually did change recently - a year or two ago. The tiebreakers are the same as they've been, but the whole, what-to-do-when-a-three-way-tie is broken did change recently. It used to be the scenario in which Hopkins would have been the three seed, as previously speculated here.

If I recall correctly, the impetus came from another sport where an even lower-down-the-rung tie-breaker came into play and a team missed the tournament after the last spot went to a team they had beaten head-to-head.

Frankly, it made more sense to do it the way it used to be done, despite the occasional "unfair" seeming outcome. I believe there are some scenarios for which the current procedure would get "stuck."

Hoopdog14

CentCraze88
Yes the Mules bus broke down going and leaving McDaniel and serves as the perfect metaphor for the Mules basketball program; broken down.  Time for a switch in leadership.  Since McClary took over every season got progressively worse despite having several top quality  players over the past 7 years.  The only reason they finished over all at 12-12 was the quality of the out of conference teams they scheduled.  Most of which would struggled against a good high school team.
Larose and Schreer were in a system that had no one who would command attention to free them up.  LaRose is not a straight up shooter and, Schreer is a spot up shooter and needs wide open looks.  Big numbers for both of them came largely in non-conference games. At the McD game LaRose had 16 in the first half and ended up with 21 on 6 for 16 shooting, Schreer ended up 2 of 7.  Hunter I think was a victim of poor coaching.  One of the few real big men in the conference he was under-utilized and saw his minutes drop from 25/game to 17 despite leading in rebounding and blocked shots.  He joined the growing list of senior players that got blamed for the problems of this program over the past several years.   And McClary is always ready to blame someone else for the poor performance.

Early in the season we commented on how the conference would turn out.  I admit to being surprised   by the high level performance that Ursinus turned in.  Dickenson F&M and JHU could  never be counted out  but I was spot on in seeing that the Mules were a disaster in the making.

MACsouthwest

Hoopdog-

Players win games.  You need players and I don't know if the right players are in Allentown right now. That has to change.  I don't see size and strength of guys  like Liddic, Hargrove, Forsman , Bovino, et al.  Those teams had an inside physical presence.  I think Werheim and Baez have that potential, but those previous teams had 2-3 big, physical guys.  Hunter wasn't Hargrove.   I don't see guards like Curry, Stavetski, O'Hara, Albano, et al.  LaRose was good. Schreer wasn't Ohara.  Or anyone like a Killing.  Whether you liked him or not.  A lot of those guards were also tough.  Toughness wins games in this Conference.  i would start by rebuilding with a core group of tough basketball players.   You can't teach toughness or will someone to be a competitor... You either got it or you don't. 

Hoopdog14

I don't disagree.  But who is responsible to get the right players and get the most out of the ones you have?

HoopGuru

Great playoff road win for UC.  I said it back when they lost that 2nd game to JHU that I'd take those 2 losses to JHU if it meant a playoff win if they happened to play.  I did not see them losing a 3rd time to them after how those first 2 games went.  Obviously shot lights out all game, 13-24 from 3 and did a really good job taking care of the ball.  Ended with 15 TOs I think but a handful of those came very late in the game.  Cleaned up the glass very nicely as well.  Quattro played very well on offense.  He looked like Shattuck out there.  Looking forward to Friday night.  Hopefully two good games.
"Separation is in the preparation"

saratoga

Scott McClary is out at Muhlenberg.

Looks like some of you got an early Christmas gift & Scott doesn't have to deal with another year of broken down busses & some other things the Mules try to do on the cheap.

Seems like a win/win.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not surprised, but disappointed.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TeamMonix

With McClary out, What is Hoopdog14 going to do with his life? I hope your all happy!

MACsouthwest

I'm also disappointed in Berg.   Feel bad for McClary.  Saratoga hit the nail on the head...  Trying to do things on the cheap for too long in Allentown. 

For Hoopdog-  "you are either part of the problem OR part of the solution..."   It's a choice.  Choose wisely!