MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: deiscanton on February 19, 2017, 09:21:59 AM
Sorry for not posting in a while, but I am posting to clear up a misstatement by WUH to magicman on the tiebreaker scenario involving a potential cochampionship between Wash U and Rochester with a 12-2 record, a 1-1 split between Wash U and Rochester, a 1-1 split with both teams vs subsequent finisher Chicago, and both teams sweeping all other subsequent finishers.

Under the UAA Basketball Code of Conduct, the first two tiebreakers do not solve this scenario, so the third tiebreaker is which team had the better road record in UAA league games.  Magicman is correct in that Wash U will get the AQ today with a win at Brandeis due to the fact that Wash U went 7-0 in UAA road games vs Rochester's 6-1 in UAA road games.-- Rochester lost at Chicago.

The coin flip is the last tiebreaker if all the cochampions have equal road records.  The coin flip was used to break the tie between the Wash U and NYU women in the 2000-2001 season.  In that case, both teams went 14-1 in UAA play, but the resulted vs Johns Hopkins could not be used in the tiebreaker, so it was effectively a situation where both teams finished 13-1, NYU lost at Wash U, and Wash U lost at NYU.  Since both cochampions that season went 6-1 in UAA road play (outside of Johns Hopkins, which was in the UAA at that time but only played a single round robin schedule, so you could not use the results vs Johns Hopkins to settle the tie), there was a coin flip that year, which NYU won for the AQ.  Wash U women went on to win their 4th national title that season, while NYU lost to Emmanuel in the Elite 8.

deiscanton,
You're right, you haven't posted in quite awhile. I miss your posts which were always informative and timely. Thanks for clearing up the tiebreaker scenario. Plus K.  I thought the conference road record would precede the coin flip but there are several different ways to chose the winner and I wasn't sure what the UAA did. I know WUH gave me his response and thought it to be the correct answer, but maybe he did that just to get you to come out of hiding. :D At any rate with Sunday's upset of the Yellowjackets by CWR, it becomes a moot issue. The Bears have clinched the title and the automatic bid. Rochester will get an at large bid and Emory is still alive for one.

Quote from: WUH on February 18, 2017, 02:37:03 PM
A Chicago win over Washington University is certainly possible.  Massey has the Rochester vs. Emory game as the best chance for an upset.  The prediction: 70% chance of a Rochester win with a 78-72 final score.

As for tomorrow, Brandeis has proven that they can play with tough teams, but they are not winning those games except for the home win over Emory.  But anything can happen on a Sunday, it seems...  Case Western Reserve on the other hand has no chance against Rochester.  The prediction: 97% chance of a Rochester win with a 86-64 final score.

I think the Spartans posted the bolded part on their bulletin board. They apparently, forgot to read Massey's prediction of a 97% Rochester win. ;D  The first part of your statement, "But anything can happen on a Sunday, it seems"  is what the Case players focused on. 8-)

WUPHF

Quote from: magicman on February 20, 2017, 03:52:38 AM
I think the Spartans posted the bolded part on their bulletin board. They apparently, forgot to read Massey's prediction of a 97% Rochester win. The first part of your statement, "But anything can happen on a Sunday, it seems"  is what the Case players focused on.

It is hard to imagine that anyone from Case Western Reserve (or anyone outside of a few d3boards.com regulars) is reading the UAA thread these days, but I'll say that I was happy to get that one wrong. 

I have not have a chance to watch the game, but I followed along on live stats and that was a back and forth game that had Rochester in it until the very end.  It is not as though the Spartans went on a big run and then held on.  And to do it all in Rochester!

For what it is worth, if Washington University defeats Chicago on Sunday, then my pre-season prediction of the conference standings was very close to right.

I had:

Washington University
Rochester
Emory
Chicago
Carnegie Mellon

The only thing I will have incorrectly predicted was Carnegie Mellon finishing ahead of Chicago.

There is a possibility that I got all five correct, but that would involve a Chicago win, so I will not go in to that.

WUPHF

Quote from: deiscanton on February 19, 2017, 06:41:14 PM
I was very glad to see the Brandeis men make a program record 17 3 pointers in a single UAA game today.  It fell 1 trey short of the conference record of 18 3 pointers made in a game, which was set by Rochester against Case Western last season (Rochester made 18 of 37 from 3 pt land vs Case on January 22, 2016.).

This says something about how special the 11-14 three point shooting performance by Noah Karras was.  Chicago was 16-27 that day with Jake Fenlon and Jordan Baum adding in a combined five three pointers.

I was curious about how the combined 50 teams assists matched up against the record books.  It looks like NYU and Brandeis hold the record at 57.  Rochester holds the team record at 31.

WUPHF

One last weekend of UAA conference play.

Weekend No. 8: Rochester travels to Emory while Washington University hosts Chicago.  Carnegie Mellon travels to Case Western Reserve.  NYU hosts Brandeis.

I may post an all-UAA conference team, but until I do, I thought it would be great to recognize a few seniors who saved their best for last.

Joe Timmes, NYU
Averaged 8 minutes and 3.7 points per game a season ago.  He is a starter this season and averaging 13.6 points per game including a 39.5 three point shooting percentage.

Blaine Crawford, Chicago
Averaged 12 minutes and 4.8 points, 4 rebounds per game a season ago.  He is a starter this season and averaging 15.4 points per game with one of the best field goal percentages in the Central region.  Also averaging 10 rebounds per game.

Zach Ayers, Rochester
Averaged 3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds per game last season.  He is a starter and averaging 12.3 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game.

Michael Bregman, Washington University
Played a few games last season before determining that he needed to sit out for the season.  Had a severe knee injury as a sophomore.  He is a starter this season and averaging 9 points per game and 3 rebounds.

Jim Gordon, Emory University
Averaged 6.6 minutes and 1.0 points per game last season.  He is a starter and averaging 15.7 points per game and 4.2 rebounds per game.

There are more players worth highlighting such as Whitt Rapp who crushed his previous season performance of 164 assists (he currently has 207).  I'll try to get to that soon.

WUPHF

Congratulations to the Washington University for winning the de facto UAA Championship game over Chicago.

WUPHF

Chicago spoils Senior Day with a win over Washington University, 81-74.

The Maroons led 73-72 with three minutes left before Collin Barthel hit a wide open three.  The momentum turned on that shot.  The Bears would only score one more field goal in the game.

Andrew Sanders led all scorers with 21 points and 6 rebounds.  Michael Bregman, who won the Pearce Award for his commitment to the team, finished with 15 points including a 3-4 performance from three point range.  Clinton Hooks is my UAA defensive player of the year and he showed why today against Waller Perez.

Jack Fenlon led the way for Chicago with 16 points.  Tyler Howard, Blaine Crawford and Waller Perez also scored in double figures.

The big difference may have been the +8 difference in rebounds by the Maroons.  Chicago had a six rebound advantage in the second half, but it seemed like many more than that.  Blaine Crawford seemed to be in position for every rebound and finished with nine.

The Bears finish the season with a 12-2 UAA record.  This is the best finish since the 2008-2009 national championship squad finished 13-1.

WUPHF

The UAA released the 2016-2017 All-Association Team.

I think they got this right...my only disagreement is the lack of recognition for Matt Highsmith who shot 57.1% from the field and averaged 11 points and 4.4 rebounds.  No one in the conference was more efficient outside the low post.  Not even close.

http://uaasports.info/sports/mbkb/2016-17/16-17_MBKB_All-Assoc.pdf

WUPHF

Washington University is headed to Holland, Michigan to take on Ripon.  418 miles may be little too far away.  I'll have to see if any of the Holland area ski resorts still have snow.

Hope and Wisconsin Oshkosh are also in the pod.

WUPHF

Congratulations to the Emory Eagles who are headed to Texas for Round 1 and to the Rochester Yellowjackets who will host a first round pod.

Gregory Sager

Rochester will be the small-college basketball capital of the world next weekend, as St. John Fisher will also host a pod, six miles east of the U of R.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

HOPEful

Quote from: WUH on February 27, 2017, 01:11:49 PM
Washington University is headed to Holland, Michigan to take on Ripon.  418 miles may be little too far away.  I'll have to see if any of the Holland area ski resorts still have snow.

Hope and Wisconsin Oshkosh are also in the pod.

You'll have to go a couple hours further north to find decent ski hills with snow.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2017, 01:40:11 PM
Rochester will be the small-college basketball capital of the world next weekend, as St. John Fisher will also host a pod, six miles east of the U of R.

I know there is a Kodak related joke to be made, but I am just not that clever.  Thanks for sharing that though.

WUPHF

Quote from: HOPEful on February 27, 2017, 02:08:30 PM
You'll have to go a couple hours further north to find decent ski hills with snow.

I was just about to head to the MIAA thread to ask, but this answers my question.  Thanks!  Good luck this weekend.  Maybe the best team advance to weekend No. 2.

sac

Bittersweet between Otsego and Allegan might still have snow, it would be man-made.

....but you said decent hill.

Also Timberidge and Swiss Valley nearby, never been there.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUH on February 27, 2017, 02:40:56 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2017, 01:40:11 PM

I know there is a Kodak related joke to be made, but I am just not that clever.  Thanks for sharing that though.

Nah, I think that what you're really looking for is a garbage plate joke.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell