WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

The 5-of-one-player vs 5 of another is just an imagination exercise wherein a player's strengths or weaknesses would be made evident as you think about who is the better all-around player. The 5 Katies would be a great ballhandling team, shoot well from distance and likely be quicker than the 5 Mikaelas. The 5 Mikaelas might have trouble bringing the ball upcourt vs 5 defensive Katies, but if they got the ball to the lane, the Mikaelas would overpower the defense and score near the hoop. The Eppards would likely get a majority of the rebounds and not allow many layups in a halfcourt situation. Maybe the Katies would double-team the Eppards in the lane and dare the other 2 or 3 Eppards to hit a longrange shot.
If you want to think of how a real-life one-on-one McDaniels vs Eppard game would go, you could. Maybe Rehberger or McGraw would be better than either McDaniels or Eppard one-on-one.
These are just ways to picture in one's mind what skills make someone a good all-around player.
I think MOP is supposed to be CCIW-play only. Although, I could understand a coach wanting to reward a player who helped the team get some big non-conference wins. There is recent precedent for a low-post scorer to win MOP : Millikin's Lindsay Ippel won it in '06-'07 and '07-'08. Oh, even more recent : Fiona McMahon two years ago.

shepherd

IMHO:
Wheaton has not advanced in the playoffs the past few years due to their over willingness to throw up threes with reckless abandon.
I thought they had addressed it recently with the new emphasis on the inside game they looked like a top ten team that could play with anybody. 

The Milikin game saw a return of the  5-25.  This play will get them another one and done in the playoffs.

This team should be taking only 15-18 threes per game.  A statistical curve built like a basic cost analysis curve
(based upon chances of scoring more points in a game vs number of threes taken)
would show a slight ramp up to this point with a massive drop off occurring after 20.

To include only the good open shooters take these shots.

I hope we see a return of the inside cuts, dribble perpetration and good passing so this very talented team can reach its potential which in my opinion should be the skies the limit.

PS IMHO: I not only believe McDaniels will win the POY in the CCIW but will be one of the few considered for the D3 WBB POY.

iwu70

I guess for McDaniels and winning the CCIW POY, much depends on how she plays in that last title game on the 21st vs. IWU.  She had a truly terrible game vs. the Titans in the first game at The Shirk.  Should IWU win the regular season crown, you'd think some IWU player -- Ehresman or McGraw -- would garner some interest, with perhaps this making Eppard the winner.  Overall, I think Eppard has had the most outstanding season.  But, if you want to vote for the player that most got their team to the prize, then perhaps one of the Titans should be considered.  Yes, I have green glasses, well-known to all.  I take nothing away from McDaniels or Eppard.  Both are deserving, in my opinion.  Surely first team All-conference selections, along with Ehresman and McGraw.

Should WC get to the post-season, your advice Go Thunder, is good.  I think they need overall better defense too.  IMHO.  IWU wins on defense . . . and very efficient offense once the TO occurs.   

IWU'70

GoPerry

Quote from: Go Thunder on February 17, 2017, 02:07:39 AM
IMHO:
Wheaton has not advanced in the playoffs the past few years due to their over willingness to throw up threes with reckless abandon.
I thought they had addressed it recently with the new emphasis on the inside game they looked like a top ten team that could play with anybody. 

The Milikin game saw a return of the  5-25.  This play will get them another one and done in the playoffs.

This team should be taking only 15-18 threes per game.  A statistical curve built like a basic cost analysis curve
(based upon chances of scoring more points in a game vs number of threes taken)
would show a slight ramp up to this point with a massive drop off occurring after 20.

To include only the good open shooters take these shots.

I hope we see a return of the inside cuts, dribble perpetration and good passing so this very talented team can reach its potential which in my opinion should be the skies the limit.

Overall, they've been pretty disciplined with their 3 pt shooting this season, averaging a little less than 18 attempts/game.   In fact, in the CCIW only Carroll has fewer attempts this season.  However, they're an average 3pt shooting team at best so I would agree that going much over 20 attempts game wouldn't suit them.  And you're absolutely correct that they are at their best when they are backdoor cutting to the rim, getting easy baskets or going to the line.

In my opinion, their post-season success will really depend on their front-court play.  With Katie McDaniels, Chantal Meacham, and Kelly Lawson, their backcourt will hold their own with the best teams.  But the schools that make the post-season generally have pretty good size and front-court play.  UW River-Falls in last year's first round was a good example as was UW-Oshkosh earlier this season.  In both games Wheaton got terribly out-rebounded by double digits.  I think Devin Kyler has steadily improved with her overall aggressiveness and level of play.  She'll need some help from Jill Berg off the bench as well as the likes of Dansdill, Zeller, and Myroth on the boards.

I posted earlier this season that Coach Madsen and this team should be expecting to advance past the first round and even the first weekend.  Even if they win the CCIW tourney(not a given), a one and done performance in the NCAA, boasting a veteran team and a 1st team All American, will put a big 'meh' on the season, in my opinion.  I hope he will soon begin coaching towards that mentality for this team because I don't sense that extra gear in them right now.  The blowout loss at Carthage should never have happened for a team ready to compete with the top squads in the country.  Tuesday will be a good test if they're postseason ready.

Quote from: Go Thunder on February 17, 2017, 02:07:39 AM

PS IMHO: I not only believe McDaniels will win the POY in the CCIW but will be one of the few considered for the D3 WBB POY.

Agree that McDaniels should receive national consideration.  The young lady from Carnegie Mellon (Liz Murphy?) was having a big year last I checked a few weeks ago.  Averaging something like 25 and 13, and the team itself only had 2 or 3 losses.  At that time, I thought she was a strong candidate; probably still is right there.

iwu70

The Titans are ready for post-season play now.  They've been on a great run, playing very tough D and converting on offense quickly with a variety of weapons. Save for Holness, they are all healthy and fit and well-tested.  It should be a great match-up at WC on Tuesday, likely for all the regular season marbles.  Titans have to get past the NCC "system" at home first (senior night), but I think that is likely.  No let-up, no looking further ahead. 

I'm hoping for the CCIW tournament at The Shirk.

IWU70

RogK

Elmhurst has the bye today. Here are the prior results of today's rematches.
Wheaton 73, Carroll 43
Carthage 96, Millikin 80
Ill Wesleyan 118, North Central 113 OT
Augustana 88, North Park 85
These average out to 174 pts per game. I'll predict 140 per game average today.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on February 18, 2017, 09:25:37 AM
Wheaton 73, Carroll 43
Carthage 96, Millikin 80

The first NCC-IWU game had both Mayson Whipple and Gabby Holness, so I doubt we'll see a combined 231 points tonight. It's a meaningless game anyways; the Cardinals are out, and the Titans can't make any inroads to the regular season title tonight. Same with Wheaton; it all comes down to Tuesday.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

GoPerry

Quote from: lmitzel on February 18, 2017, 10:26:09 AM
Quote from: RogK on February 18, 2017, 09:25:37 AM
Wheaton 73, Carroll 43
Carthage 96, Millikin 80

The first NCC-IWU game had both Mayson Whipple and Gabby Holness, so I doubt we'll see a combined 231 points tonight. It's a meaningless game anyways; the Cardinals are out, and the Titans can't make any inroads to the regular season title tonight. Same with Wheaton; it all comes down to Tuesday.

Slight correction:  It's meaningless for the conference implications.  But it's a critically needed win for IWU to stay in the Pool C que(should they need it).  They really can't afford to lose tonight.

GoPerry

Wheaton 103
Carroll 37

A lot of playing time spread around.  Meacham was the only player over 20 mins.

Congratulations to Katie McDaniels with her 304th and 305th career CCIW free throw which is a new conference record(Lindsay Ippel, Millikin).  She had 13 pts, 10 assists, 6 rebs in just 19 mins of play. 

Glad to see Kelly Thornton with a good game of 22 pts in just 14 min.  Her playing time has gone down significantly with Ellie Zeller's return which is just one of those things.

iwu70

NCC and IWU tied 62-62 entering the 4th Q.  A ragged affair, more low-scoring than what we may have expected.  The Titans need this one.

IWU'70

iwu70

Tough loss for the Titans.  The NCC "system" bites the IWU system tonight -- NCC winning 89-86.  Key was not the offensive system, though NCC did make a good percentage of threes tonight, but the NCC defensive pressure, giving the Titans trouble, esp. on inbounds plays.  That was the key to the game, IMHO.

Merritt 22
Ehresman 16
McGraw and Shanks 14

Both Ehresman and McGraw in foul trouble late.
Merritt and Shanks showing the strong future for the Titans.
Titans shot a poorer percentage than in recent outings. 

Tough loss on Senior Night.  But, NCC played hard and deserved the win, esp. given their defensive effort tonight.

Titans now 12-3, 17-7.  This loss surely not helpful for IWU's prospects for dancing in March. 

Still, a big game at Wheaton on Tuesday -- for the CCIW regular season championship and a season sweep of Wheaton.

WC winning very easily, as predicted, over Carroll tonight.

IWU'70

RogK

Saw the Vikings edge the Vikings 69-68. Substantial effort on both sides.
This game wrapped up the careers of North Park's seniors, Liz Rehberger, Amani Davis and Hannah Rehfeldt, each of whom contributed nicely this evening; they went out in fine style, even though on the short end of the score by a point. Hannah did her customary sharpshooting from distance, sinking 3 threes and also picked up 4 assists. Amani's performance was one of her best (at least of those I saw in person) : 8/13 FG for 16 pts, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 4 assists and 5 rebs. Liz was excellent, as we've grown accustomed to : 25 pts , 3 steals, 2 blocks, fine all-around play. She really had a superb NCAA WBB career. She would have played the full 40 minutes but suffered a bad ankle twist or sprain near the end of the contest. She was getting around gingerly after the game (walked up steps), so I think she'll be OK.
Shaylee Sloan (12 pts, 11 rebs) and Gabby Sandoval also played a lot and gave the NP cause very good effort.
For the victorious Augie who made the conference tournament with the win, Kaycee Kallenberger had 18 pts and 16 rebs; Jen VanWatermeulen made 4 threes, Izzy Anderson made key late FTs. Mikayla Fallon added 11 points. Many players that I haven't singled out did good work on both squads.

RogK

I see that Carroll's rotation was down to six players today. They must be on the tired side by now, and surely have their share of aches and pains. The fact that they've had to avoid foul trouble (pretty much above all else) has very likely had a negative impact on how they could defend and rebound. Next season, they should have depth and we may then see more of what they can become.
Millikin picked up a 67-66 win over visiting Carthage, thanks to a Lauren Moses FT with 2 seconds to go. She finished with 11 pts and 9 rebs. Yanni Saddler scored 18, while Emily Schultz added 14, plus 6 assists and 4 steals. Devin Curry scored 11, but missed a free throw for the 5th time this season, lowering her pct to .942 (81/86). Coach Kerans will have to sit her down and get to the bottom of this glaring imperfection. After all.
For the Lady Reds, Rachel Szydlowski had 16 pts, 10 rebs; Madie Kaelber scored 16; Morgan Harris led with 12 rebs and 7 assists, while Autumn Kalis added 10 pts.

Gregory Sager

Thanks to Liz Rehberger and Amani Davis for four really strong years on the NPU squad, and to Hannah Rehfeldt as well for her three years as a Viking. As Rog said, their performances this afternoon were phenomenal, albeit just not enough as NPU lost a last-minute heartbreaker to Augie for the second time this year. But all three can hold their heads up high for the way that they played today. It's been a pleasure and a privilege to call their games over the past four seasons.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ran out of time today to get this out before the show started, but taking care if it now while I have the opportunity (during the show).

The time is now. Teams who want or think they should be playing in March need to get the job done now. This week all conferences, except the UAA, will dive into conference tournaments to determine who will win an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship Tournament. For those who can't win the AQ, then they have to make sure to present the best resume possible to the national committees and that means taking care of business the best they can.

Who is in and who is out? We will figure that out over the course of next week and on next week's Hoopsville Special. In the meantime on tonight's Hoopsville, Dave McHugh talks to a few teams who are looking to position themselves to be in the conversation. We also preview many of the conference races and look at who may already be in trouble when it comes to playing basketball in March.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio starting LIVE at 7:00 PM ET. You can watch the show in the video player above or via the simulcast on Facebook Live. If you missed the show, you can catch up On Demand in the video player or listen to the podcasts located to the right (available after the show is off the air).

A reminder the Sunday edition of Hoopsville primarily covers the Northeast, Atlantic, South, and Central regions, but we will answer any questions about all of Division III throughout the show. You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

And please consider helping Hoopsville stay on the air like you might help your public television station. The annual fundraising campaign has less than three weeks remaining, but we are no where close to reaching our goal. Click here for more information:  Hoopsville Fundraising Page

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Mia Smith, Illinois Wesleyan women's coach
- Stan Bonewitz, Concordia (Texas) men's coach
- Matt Ducharme, Mass-Dartmouth women's coach
- Andrea Kendall, Randolph women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Tim McDonald, Cabrini men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.