2018 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ralph Turner, February 25, 2018, 07:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Let's start the National Tournament board.

There is a great Hoopsville show going now.  For Newbies, the Mock Selection by D-Mack, Titan Q and Hoops Fan is very instructive the nature of the selection process.

My first thought on the bracketing.

Schreiner (SCAC Pool A bid) is within 500 miles of both ETBU (if ETBU gets a Pool C) and Sul Ross State.

If they put in a bid to host, then only one team would need to be flown to that bracket, unless LeTourneau gets off the table (almost last) and have a complete Texas bracket.

I am assuming 2 flights to Washington state in another bracket.

According the Hoopsville, Hobart came off the table for bid #21.  So Sul Ross State, probably the #2 ranked team in the South, gets flown somewhere!

Caz Bombers

I'll be interested to see how the NCAA schedules Yeshiva's inaugural appearance in The Big Horah. The Maccabees cannot play or travel between Friday sundown and Saturday sundown.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 25, 2018, 07:48:54 PM
I'll be interested to see how the NCAA schedules Yeshiva's inaugural appearance in The Big Horah. The Maccabees cannot play or travel between Friday sundown and Saturday sundown.

Interesting question.  They do accommodate the schools that will not play on Sundays.  (And, fortunately, during basketball season sundown comes pretty early! ;))  Since I'm 69, I somehow doubt I'll live long enough to see the actual real-life resolution of your question. ;)

On the other hand, Yeshiva has been pretty darn close to copping a bid the last few years, so we may get an answer sooner than I had expected.

augie77

Yeshiva is Pool A.  They're in!

augie77

Assuming they're assigned to a close by regional, they might be able to travel after sunset on Saturday for a late semi-final tilt. 9:00 pm, perhaps?.  Championship would need to be scheduled for Sunday. 

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: augie77 on February 25, 2018, 08:04:20 PM
Assuming they're assigned to a close by regional, they might be able to travel after sunset on Saturday for a late semi-final tilt. 9:00 pm, perhaps?.  Championship would need to be scheduled for Sunday.

Couldn't Yeshiva travel Friday during the day (maybe even get a practice in) and then play the late Semifinal game on Saturday (8pm tip-off would be well after sunset) with the second round game Sunday?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on February 25, 2018, 08:40:33 PM

Couldn't Yeshiva travel Friday during the day (maybe even get a practice in) and then play the late Semifinal game on Saturday (8pm tip-off would be well after sunset) with the second round game Sunday?
As I understand it, they could play a 1 pm Friday semifinal and then an 8pm final on Saturday.

Greek Tragedy

When is the Men's bracket announced tomorrow morning?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

kiko

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 25, 2018, 08:46:20 PM

As I understand it, they could play a 1 pm Friday semifinal and then an 8pm final on Saturday.

This is the most likely scenario IMO.  I would be surprised if a second-round game were pushed to Sunday, for three reasons:

- While there are no games on Sunday, this is when hosts are determined for the following weekend.  I doubt the NCAA will let one school's needs disrupt a broader set of activities.
- Pushing this game but not those in adjacent pods to Sunday would create opportunities for extra prep and scouting by schools in adjacent portions of the bracket.  That's not fair to Yeshiva -- or to a podmate who beats them.
- Were Yeshiva to lose on Friday, there is no need to adjust scheduling for the second round game... and there would be a clear desire to lock in a date and time for this game before Round 1 happens, so the four schools in the pod have clear visibility to the schedule and can plan accordingly.

I would expect the poobahs to accommodate Yeshiva's needs in a manner that creates as narrow of a disruption on the broader tournament as possible.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on February 25, 2018, 10:03:11 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 25, 2018, 09:56:16 PM

12:30 PM EST on NCAA.com.

OK, thanks, I thought the broadcasters on the Whitman/Whitworth game said 9:30...which I suppose would be THEIR time, and also I thought Hoopsville said 9:30.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 25, 2018, 10:28:32 PM
Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on February 25, 2018, 10:03:11 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 25, 2018, 09:56:16 PM

12:30 PM EST on NCAA.com.

OK, thanks, I thought the broadcasters on the Whitman/Whitworth game said 9:30...which I suppose would be THEIR time, and also I thought Hoopsville said 9:30.

Dave gets the bracket at 9:30 because he's on the selection show and has to announce them.  The rest of us find out at 12:30.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: kiko on February 25, 2018, 10:17:31 PM

This is the most likely scenario IMO.  I would be surprised if a second-round game were pushed to Sunday, for three reasons:

- While there are no games on Sunday, this is when hosts are determined for the following weekend.  I doubt the NCAA will let one school's needs disrupt a broader set of activities.
- Pushing this game but not those in adjacent pods to Sunday would create opportunities for extra prep and scouting by schools in adjacent portions of the bracket.  That's not fair to Yeshiva -- or to a podmate who beats them.
- Were Yeshiva to lose on Friday, there is no need to adjust scheduling for the second round game... and there would be a clear desire to lock in a date and time for this game before Round 1 happens, so the four schools in the pod have clear visibility to the schedule and can plan accordingly.

I would expect the poobahs to accommodate Yeshiva's needs in a manner that creates as narrow of a disruption on the broader tournament as possible.

The question is whether Yeshiva would forgo a walkthrough Saturday morning.  If they want time to practice, the game will likely be moved.  However, the chances of them winning a first round game are pretty slim, so it's probably moot.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 25, 2018, 10:40:02 PM
Quote from: kiko on February 25, 2018, 10:17:31 PM

The question is whether Yeshiva would forgo a walkthrough Saturday morning.  If they want time to practice, the game will likely be moved. However, the chances of them winning a first round game are pretty slim, so it's probably moot.

Come on now...Anything can happen!  :P ::) :o ;D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

augie77

Who would have predicted that last place (8 seed) Berry would beat 7 seed Hendrix in the finals of the SAC Tournament to get to the dance?  The Maccabees prospects of getting a tournament win seem far greater than an 8-17 team advancing through the SAC to earn a Pool A spot.

How about a future Final Four with Yeshiva versus Calvin or Wheaton (no Sunday games allowed)?  How would the NCAA handle that?? ???