BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcon2134

Relax Jim I figured they would be 4th or 5th in the preseason polls. And as far as them not mentioning Conway by seasons end thats all your going to be hearing its a two horse race in the LEC for pitcher of the year and those 2 pitchers are Nick Conway and Shawn Gilblair.

Conway opens up for Umass Saturday vs. Calvin College when the kick off there spring break trip in Arizona. They play 8 games out there including a game verus New England Powerhouse Wheaton. Cant wait for the season to get going.

Jcon2134

Umass Opens up it season with 2 wins over Calvin college Conway got the win in the first game.

dgilblair

Well ECSU is sticking true to form by not doing to good on their California trip.
First game of the year was a win beating Whittier College 8-4.  It was all downhill from there, losing a back and forth game 9-8 to Redlands in the bottom of the ninth. Then driving to LaVern and losing 8-4 in the second game of the day on Saturday.  Sunday was a was another back and forther against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps finally losing 10-8. The California bats just a little more in tune than the New England arms this time of year.  I know its early but thats a lot of runs to give up in 4 games with the staff I thought we had.  Like Jcon says.......time will tell.
Well it's off to Arizona Monday for 5 games. 

wordsmith

See where Keene St College returned from their Ariz trip with a record of 7-5. Played a close game vs The College of NJ losing in the 12th inning. Got blown-out by J. Hopkins, split with William Paterson.

In the words of Denny Green, "the Owls are who we thought they were."

Weather may play a huge role this spring in the LEC. Northern tier schools have frozen fields covered with snow, Ply St., USM, KSC. Southern Tier schools have some snow but not to the degree. Should make for some interesting scheduling issues.

Word
Word

Jcon2134

Econn lost to williams today to drop there record to a suprising 1-4. Can someone please tell me whats going on....... OH WAIT I KNOW LIKE I SAID AT THE START THERE NOT THAT GOOD. OTHER THAN GILBLAIR

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jcon2134 on March 20, 2007, 05:33:42 PM
Econn lost to williams today to drop there record to a suprising 1-4. Can someone please tell me whats going on....... OH WAIT I KNOW LIKE I SAID AT THE START THERE NOT THAT GOOD. OTHER THAN GILBLAIR

I wonder if Conway is considering transfering mid-season.

Eastern Conn went through this last year where they really did not heat up until the end of the year.     You really want to win those in-region games since if your unable to  win the conference you need then to get a pool c bid.

There are a lot of top ranked teams that started poorly  this season - Otterbein, Wheaton, Carthage, etc.

kscer

I dont think Keene State, USM or Eastern right now are thinking about pool c bids. They are getting ready for the LEC season where all that matters is winning the conference. Yeah you want to win, but you have to see where and how the kids play, not just the starters. After some tough and some bad games in Az, KSC has some work to do, and learning that is what spring trips are all about. It will be interseting to see how USM does with 8 starting position players returning on their trip to AZ starting tomorrow. You need scrimmages, and that's what these spring trips are all about.

dgilblair

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 20, 2007, 07:06:15 PM
Quote from: Jcon2134 on March 20, 2007, 05:33:42 PM

I wonder if Conway is considering transfering mid-season.

Eastern Conn went through this last year where they really did not heat up until the end of the year.     You really want to win those in-region games since if your unable to  win the conference you need then to get a pool c bid.

There are a lot of top ranked teams that started poorly  this season - Otterbein, Wheaton, Carthage, etc.
Conway transfering?  We'll take him at ECSU.  Like I said earlier we never do well on this trip.  I agree with kscer's thinking.  With that said, I did expect a little more out of the pitchers.  But it is early and the last 5 days are the first they even got to any real long toss etc.  Esposito pitched excellent today and I'm sure more to come. 
jcon, we are not that bad.....I don't think we will win the LEC this year but I sure think we will have a good shot come tournament time. 

Jcon2134

I realize that econn always does bad on this trip but this year I dont see them winning the tournament with how strong up and down this conference is. With so much up in the air in the conference I would think that these wins are even more critical because there are definatly 2 teams going to the NCAA out of the LEC the one who wins the tourney and the one who has the best record behind that. And the way that I am looking at it right now with 5 teams (USM ECSU KSU UMB RIC) that have the guns to win it dont these outta conference games become a hell of alot more important. I know the conference means everytrhing but with how good this conference in this year I just think there is more of a premuim on winning more games outta conference.
Also I know ECSU is not that bad I just had to say that and I see Shawn is off to a great start glad to see that.

dgilblair

Maybe, not sure out of region games mean a ton but I see your point.  Shawn is not off to a great start.  He gave up a bunch of hits and walked 4 in that game.  The ECSU web site made it sound nice with the home run and all but he would be the first to tell you he was a little lucky to get the win.  But thanks for the comp.  We'll see how he does tomorrow....wait thats today for you northeners...lol.
Conway and Gilblair are not the only ones in the running for POTY either.  I'm telling you the LEC has a lot of quality arms.  What matters is if your mates can play defence behind you and get the timly hits.

Jcon2134

Yah on the website they made it seem like he had a great 1st outing. But yah I am just saying that with the New England region so good this year, I just think that winning more games to get that pool C bid if they dont win the tourney are a hell of alot more important this year then in previous years.

Also UMD beat Chapman @Chapman now I know they may not have been playing all there starters but regardless that is the biggest upset thus far this season in my option I was stunned when  I read it this morning.

dgilblair

That is a real nice win. Why would they not be playing their regulars? ;D

Jcon2134

Just suprising to see dartmouth beat such a good team they are another team to throw into the mix this year i guess.... or they could have gotton lucky  ;D

Paul Heering

jcon,

where are the Umass boston updates?

Bostonian

UMASS-Dartmouth followed up the Chapman win by getting swept by Welseyan, a team that won't even sniff the NESCAC playoffs...
Williams beats ECSU, too....

Maybe the NESCAC isn't too far behind the LEC this year.