FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Y'all may or may not have heard this, but Wabash and Hampden-Sydney are playing a home-and-home series in 2014-2015.  Really cool interregional play...should be a couple of fun, competitive games.   
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hasanova

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 29, 2013, 10:04:14 AM
Y'all may or may not have heard this, but Wabash and Hampden-Sydney are playing a home-and-home series in 2014-2015.  Really cool interregional play...should be a couple of fun, competitive games.
Are these two the only all-male colleges in the USA?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: hasanova on April 29, 2013, 11:59:22 AM

St. John's in Minnesota is.  Not sure about others.

wally_wabash

Quote from: hasanova on April 29, 2013, 11:59:22 AM

I believe Morehouse is the other traditional 4-year men's college left in the country.  St. John's and Hobart, I believe, also admit men exclusively but they are partnered with nearby women's colleges...without doing more research I don't know if that means that they share administrative builidngs or curriculum or what all, but they are generally not included in the list of single-sex colleges. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hasanova

Thanks, Mr. Ypsi and wally-wabash.  I knew Mr. Ypsi was a wealth of information, now I can add wally-wabash!  +1 to both

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 26, 2013, 01:40:32 PM
Hasa

Any late breaking GC recruiting news ? I still have not heard a word from HSC on this front other than what my son tells me and that's not much !!!
No, not lately.  I've been following ODAC baseball and lacrosse, so not any news from football. 

By the way, congratulations to GCQ's women's lax for going undefeated in the ODAC regular season (first time it's happened).  With only 15 players (you start 12), it was quite an accomplishment.  They lost 14-13 to W&L in the ODAC semifinals with only 14 players as one of the "iron-15" had a broken collar bone.  At 15-2, it was quite a season.

Also, congratulations to the GCQ golf team on their 13th ODAC championship and a berth in the upcoming NCAA tournament.

jknezek

Figured I'd finish this post up on Shenandoah's first year in the ODAC. They definitely had a better Spring than Fall or Winter, but still a mixed bag. On the good side, baseball finished tied for second in the regular season at 13-7, women's lacrosse finished tied for second at 8-2 in the regular season and is in the championship match, and softball finished at 10-10, solidly mid conference.

The bad, unfortunately, was very bad. Men's lacrosse tied football and basketball with an 0-fer, men's tennis went 2-8, and women's tennis went 2-9, both finishing second from bottom.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Wasn't sure where to post this, but after the fall and winter seasons Shenandoah has had one painful welcome to the ODAC.

Complete failures in football and men's basketball (0 fer the conference schedule) were followed up with 7th place finishes in men's and women's cc, 11th in men's soccer with a 1-9-1 record, last place in men's indoor track, and 6th of 7 in women's indoor track.

This woeful record is somewhat balanced by the following: A 4-4 and 4th place finish in Field Hockey, a 4-7 8th place finish in volleyball, a 7-9 6th place finish in women's basketball and the only above .500 conference record, a 6-5-1 7th place finish in women's soccer.

As far as spring sports go, Shenandoah seems to have better hopes (at least in preseason polls) for high finishes in baseball and women's lacrosse. I was unable to access some of the other preseason information. Be interesting to see where Shenandoah finishes in the end of year ODAC overall athletic cups. Still, it can't have been a pleasant welcome so far to the a new conference.

hasanova

Thanks for the "SUpdate" jknezek.  +1

tigerfanalso

SU's first odac football victory will come against whom ? In what year will it happen ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on May 03, 2013, 03:24:27 PM
SU's first odac football victory will come against whom ? In what year will it happen ?

Catholic at home this year, 10/19. I just can't see them going two full seasons without a conference win. They also have a late season home game with E&H that is a possibility, but if they haven't won a conference game by then I could see the team being a bit soured. Shenandoah opens with Gallaudette, Ferrum and CNU, so I could see them winning one or two of those games before a trip to Bridgewater. If they are 2-2 or so going into a home game with Catholic I could see a win there...

jknezek

Well, proud of W&L's women's lacrosse team winning the ODAC conference, but it ensures 0 championships for Shenandoah in their first year in the conference (team sports. not sure if they had a track champion somewhere). While taking an 0 fer conference championships isn't too bad, taking an 0 fer conference wins in football, men's basketball, and men's lax is pretty miserable.

Be interesting where Shenandoah falls in the President's cup rankings, but I'm thinking the men have to be pretty close to the bottom and the women no more than the bottom third, combined they might hit the bottom as well. They are going to need to step up recruiting and coaching pretty much across the board (women's lax and baseball are the outliers) to compete in the ODAC.

tigerfanalso

JK

Predictions on preseason polling for ODAC ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on May 07, 2013, 04:49:13 PM
JK

Predictions on preseason polling for ODAC ?

W&L
RMC
HSC
Bridgewater
Guilford
E&H
Catholic
Shenandoah

That's how I see it coming out. But you could easily see two through four in any order. Would be surprised if W&L doesn't earn top bid because it's been traditional to do that with the defending champion unless there is a really good reason not to. I don't know if HSC will get the benefit of the doubt to hold the second spot or if the coaches will shake it up just enough to give Bridgewater or RMC the second spot. I do see HSC no lower than third, so whoever isn't in the second spot will be in the fourth. I don't think you'll see Guilford move higher until they actually finish higher.

As for how I think it actually shakes out this year, I think something like this:

HSC
Bridgewater
RMC
W&L
Guilford
E&H
Catholic
Shenandoah

but that's just my early thoughts. W&L has lost an awful lot the last two years. I think they'll be competitive, but I don't know if they'll have the horses to top the conference again. Especially going on the road to HSC and RMC.

tigerfanalso

Going to be interesting to see if Mount Union can continue to dominate under new leadership.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on May 09, 2013, 10:26:30 AM
Going to be interesting to see if Mount Union can continue to dominate under new leadership.

Yes, but give LK credit. He gave his son every chance to succeed. Going out on a high note, with the skill positions all filled for next year and I think mostly the year after, should give Mount a chance to repeat. If they can roll next year it will help with any recruiting wavering caused by LK leaving. I think over a long period of time, 10 years or so, we'll see Mount dragged back toward an upper-echelon pack of schools that will develop. I just don't think the kind of singular success they've had is sustainable for too much longer. That being said, I think they'll continue to be an elite school in D3 with a consistent shot at the title.