The official ATN Division III alumni thread

Started by K-Mack, November 05, 2009, 05:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoBo

In bold, a few from around the WIAC:

PLAYED/COACHED AT A CURRENT DIVISION III SCHOOL
K.C. Keeler, Rowan coach (won 2003 Division I-AA championship at Delaware)
Josh McDaniels, John Carroll wide receiver, '95 to '99 (Denver Broncos head coach)
Ronald Reagan, Eureka guard, '28 to 32 (President)
Dom Capers, Mount Union College, Safety and LB '68-'71 (NFL Head and Assistant Coach (2009-Green Bay))
Paul Bixler, Mount Union College, G & FB '29 (Head FB Coach OSU and Colgate, Head BB Coach at Akron)
Scott O'Brien, UW-Superior LB 75-75 & coach 80-82, current Special Teams Coach NE Patriots
Doug Sutherland, DT UW-Superior, NFL draft 1970 / Round: 14 / Pick: 348, Saints, Vikings, Seahawks 1970-1981, one of the Purple People Eaters of Vikings & played in Super Bowls VIII, IX, & XI.
Tom Newberry, OL UW-LaCrosse '86, NFL draft 1986 / Round: 2 / Pick 50, 10 years  LA/SL Rams, Steelers, 2-time Pro Bowl guard Super Bowl XXX starter w/Steelers
Greg Mattison, UW-LaCrosse '71, 38 year college/pro coach, current Defensive Coordinator Baltimore Ravens
Joel Williams, UW-LaCrosse '79, Falcons & Eagles '79-'89
Mike Maslowski, UW-LaCrosse '99, KC Chiefs 99-03
Tony Beckham, UW-Stout '02, NFL draft 2002 / Round: 4 / Pick: 115, Titans & Lions 02-07
Kirk Baumgartner, UW-Stevens Point '90, QB, elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005.

ATTENDED A CURRENT D3 BUT DIDN'T PLAY:
Jim John Belushi, UW-Whitewater, '68 (actor, Saturday Night Live)
World B. Free, Guilford, '72 (NBA star)
Barack Obama, Occidental, '79 to '81 (President)
Philander Knox, Mount Union College, 1872 (US Secretary of State and US Attorney General)
Ed Kiernan, Mount Union College, '95 (VP and CMO, Peter Jacobson Sports)
Mike McGee, Mount Union College, (Baseball) '97 (Mr. Annika Sorenstam)  
Major Richard Bong, UW-Superior, America's highest scoring air ace w/a confirmed 40 Japanese aircraft shot down during WWII - Medal of Honor winner, too.
Ole Haugsrud, UW-Superior, owner of Duluth Eskimos in late 20's and founding owner of Minnesota Vikings in 1960
Arnold Schwarzenegger, UW-Superior, bodybuilder, actor, politician ~ 38th Governor of California
Bill Schroeder, UW-LaCrosse, '94, NFL draft 1994 / Round: 6 / Pick: 181, various teams 94-04 (didn't play football)
Sandra Lee (cook), UW-LaCrosse '89, author & host of The Food Network's Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee
Don Herbert UW-LaCrosse, better known as Mr. Wizard. He hosted two television shows about science aimed at children. In '82, he was a guest on the first ever episode of Late Night with David Letterman.
T. Keith Glennan, UW-Eau Claire, The first administrator at NASA & former President of Case Western Reserve University.
Glenn Worf, UW-Eau Claire, Nashville's premier session bassist, tours & records w/ Mark Knopfler
Brian "Kato" Kaelin UW-Eau Claire, of O.J. Simpson trial fame (did not graduate)
Dr. Tom Davis, UW-Platteville, H BB coach Lafayette, BC, Stanford, Iowa, Drake
Mike Young, UW-River Falls Baseball MVP 1978, is the current Australian cricket team fielding coach

I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

SaintsFAN

David Justice Thomas More College 1983-1986 (skipped 7th and 8th grade) OF  Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, New York Yankees and Oakland A's
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

K-Mack

Quote from: kirasdad on November 08, 2009, 10:17:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 08, 2009, 10:12:37 PM
Actually, it may not be the Devil, but kirasdad, whose summary omitted all the CCIW 'alums' - Ken Anderson, Jack Sikma, and John Wesley Powell. >:( ;D

If you had followed Kieth's initial instructions properly, they would have been on the list.  I don't get paid the "Big Bucks" to fix others' posts on this thread.    ;) :P

Yeah, Ypsi, get with the program!

I just saw this thread on the basketball board:
http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=6614.0
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

BoBo

I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

roocru

Wedsel Gary "Buddy" Groom Jr. (born July 10, 1965 in Dallas, Texas) is a former Major League Baseball left-handed middle relief pitcher. He attended the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor and was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 1987 amateur draft.  He played for Florida Marlins, Oakland A's, New York Yankees, and Arizona Diamondbacks.

Groom had a career 31-32 record, a 4.64 ERA, and 27 career saves. He started 15 games and recorded 494 strikeouts. He led the league in appearances in 1999 with 76, and is 35th on the all-time list of appearances with 786. He holds the major league record for most games pitched without recording a plate appearance.

He also played TE for me when I was coaching HS football for the Red Oak Hawks. :)
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

K-Mack

Maybe compiling the official list will never work. It's too unruly!

However, we can keep on trying. :D

Next update, I'll have to put the classics like Don Shula (John Carroll), Marv Levy (Coe), Belichick (Wesleyan), Tony Danza (wrestled at what, Dubuque?) and all the best ones from the earlier linked lists on there.

Don't know if that's gonna make it into this week's ATN, but your efforts are nevertheless appreciated.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

D O.C.

Josh McDaniels, John Carroll wide receiver, '95 to '99 (Denver Broncos head coach)
Dom Capers, Mount Union College, Safety and LB '68-'71 (NFL Head and Assistant Coach (2009-Green Bay))
Paul Bixler, Mount Union College, G & FB '29 (Head FB Coach OSU and Colgate, Head BB Coach at Akron)
Scott O'Brien, UW-Superior LB 75-75 & coach 80-82, current Special Teams Coach NE Patriots
Doug Sutherland, DT UW-Superior, NFL draft 1970 / Round: 14 / Pick: 348, Saints, Vikings, Seahawks 1970-1981, one of the Purple People Eaters of Vikings & played in Super Bowls VIII, IX, & XI.
Tom Newberry, OL UW-LaCrosse '86, NFL draft 1986 / Round: 2 / Pick 50, 10 years  LA/SL Rams, Steelers, 2-time Pro Bowl guard Super Bowl XXX starter w/Steelers
Greg Mattison, UW-LaCrosse '71, 38 year college/pro coach, current Defensive Coordinator Baltimore Ravens
Tony Beckham, UW-Stout '02, NFL draft 2002 / Round: 4 / Pick: 115, Titans & Lions 02-07
Kirk Baumgartner, UW-Stevens Point '90, QB, elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005.

Philander Knox, Mount Union College, 1872 (US Secretary of State and US Attorney General)
Major Richard Bong, UW-Superior, America's highest scoring air ace w/a confirmed 40 Japanese aircraft shot down during WWII - Medal of Honor winner, too.
Ole Haugsrud, UW-Superior, owner of Duluth Eskimos in late 20's and founding owner of Minnesota Vikings in 1960
Arnold Schwarzenegger, UW-Superior, bodybuilder, actor, politician ~ 38th Governor of California
Bill Schroeder, UW-LaCrosse, '94, NFL draft 1994 / Round: 6 / Pick: 181, various teams 94-04 (didn't play football)
Sandra Lee (cook), UW-LaCrosse '89, author & host of The Food Network's Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee
Don Herbert UW-LaCrosse, better known as Mr. Wizard. He hosted two television shows about science aimed at children. In '82, he was a guest on the first ever episode of Late Night with David Letterman.
T. Keith Glennan, UW-Eau Claire, The first administrator at NASA & former President of Case Western Reserve University.
Glenn Worf, UW-Eau Claire, Nashville's premier session bassist, tours & records w/ Mark Knopfler
Brian "Kato" Kaelin UW-Eau Claire, of O.J. Simpson trial fame (did not graduate)
Mike Young, UW-River Falls Baseball MVP 1978, is the current Australian cricket team fielding coach
AMY TAN LINFIELD http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/tan0bio-1 and husband Louie DeMattei

gordonmann

QuoteMaybe compiling the official list will never work. It's too unruly!

Bingo. :)

QuoteHowever, we can keep on trying.

Then let me suggest this three-step process.

1) Log onto this site

2) Enter the name of a Division III school

3) Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

:)

PS - My boss went to Haverford with future Breakfast Club member Judd Nelson, who didn't graduate from there.

Toby Taff

Tom Newberry, OL UW-LaCrosse '86, NFL draft 1986 / Round: 2 / Pick 50, 10 years  LA/SL Rams, Steelers, 2-time Pro Bowl guard Super Bowl XXX starter w/Steelers
Doyle Brunson, Hardin-Simmons University '54, Basketball and Track, Poker Champion
Stedman Graham, Hardin-Simmons University '74, Basketball, best known as Oprah's Boyfriend

AMY TAN LINFIELD http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/tan0bio-1 and husband Louie DeMattei
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

K-Mack

Well this isn't an official update to the thread, but I saw this in a story about dueling McDermotts (NHL's Caps, NFL's Eagles):

QuoteUnited by sports

In fact, the brothers have been joined in sports since they were little kids, watching their father coach college football at Ursinus and West Chester, visiting Eagles training camp, and sharing backyard football fields.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Quote from: Gray Fox on November 06, 2009, 12:01:44 AM
If it's not just football.

- in 1979, Gregg Popovich was named the head coach at Pomona-Pitzer in Claremont, California. Spent the next eight seasons at Pomona ... during the 1985-86 season led team to its first conference championship in 68 years and to berth in the NCAA Division III Tournament

Last time this list was updated in '09, we barely knew who Castleton State was ... but one of the Van Gundy's coached there.

Also kicking up this thread because it came up on Twitter yesterday.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

miaastats

Prominent names from the MIAA:
John Porter, Albion, 1952 men's basketball Most Valuable Player - went on to become president of Eastern Michigan University and superintendent of Detroit Public Schools.
Fritz Shurmur, Albion, 1953 football Most Valuable Player - went on to a long career as an NFL assistant coach, most notably as defensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers and several other teams.
Cedric Dempsey, Albion, 1954 men's basketball Most Valuable Player, also played football and baseball - became athletic director at several major institutions, including University of Arizona, and later President of the NCAA (1993-2002).
Bob Devaney, Alma, 1939 graduate, was an All-MIAA end in football who went on to lead Nebraska to two national championships in the early 1970s.
Jim Northrup, Alma, 1959 football Most Valuable Player - went on to play 12 seasons of major league baseball, mostly with the Detroit Tigers. It was Northrup's two-run triple off Bob Gibson in Game 7 of the '68 World Series that propelled the Tigers to the series-clinching win.
Jim Kaat, Hope, All-MIAA selection in baseball in 1957 - went on to pitch in the majors for 24 seasons, winning 283 games and a record 16 Gold Gloves for his defense.
George Pyne, Olivet, three-time All-MIAA lineman in football in early 1960s - played for the AFL's Boston Patriots, part of the only family to have three generations play professional football.

More to come...

miaastats

I didn't see Don Shula's name mentioned at all, unless I missed it. The stadium at John Carroll is named for him. He played for the Blue Streaks in the early 50s.

Pete Metzelaars, who I believe still holds the NFL record for most games played by a tight end, was a basketball All-American and football star at Wabash in the early '80s.

Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was a football standout at Widener in the early '70s before going on to become a legendary kick returner for the Houston Oilers.

K-Mack

Yeah, those are the real prominent ones.

I think I had originally intended it to be a list of those who played and coached in D-III, plus famous people who had attended a D-III school. But it's an overwhelming project for one person to do, especially in the middle of the season. Drawing the line at who deserves to be considered famous alumni is another tough gig too.

So we have a free-for-all thread. Thanks for the contributions, miaastats
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take