MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 20, 2017, 12:09:57 PM
It definitely worked, just not opening the upper bowl in Atlanta.

So the secret is holding it in conjunction with the D-I event and giving away tickets for free ...

... and having a Waffle House nearby.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 20, 2017, 12:36:14 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 20, 2017, 12:30:32 PM
Specifically, the D1 Final Four was played at the Georgia Dome and the D3 Final was played at the Atlanta Hawks home, Philips Arena, according to the game report on this site. Their capacity is 21,000. On the Playoff History page, the attendance is listed at 3,541, but in the Championship game summary, it says 6,284.

I suppose as a player, it's pretty cool to play in a huge arena. But the atmosphere lacks. I always thought it was interesting that our high school football finals are played at the Wisconsin Badgers' 80,000 seat Camp Randall.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that 3,541 listed in the NCAA record book.
Hum, memory test - I believe fans holding tickets to the D1 Final Four got in to D3 for free.  This might explain the differential between "paid" versus actual attendance.  I do remember D1 fans that did not normally see D3 remarking about the quality of play and the experience.

iwumichigander

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 18, 2017, 10:30:12 PM
Quote from: augiefan on April 18, 2017, 09:43:19 PM
A while back I speculated as to whether the DIII championship would be moved from Salem to a Midwest site in the foreseeable future. The foreseeable future is now. The next 4 years the championship will be played at War Memorial Coliseum in Ft. Wayne, IN. A lot shorter trip for CCIW fans, if we are fortunate enough to get a team to the FF in those years.

You're jumping the gun by a year - next year the FF is still in Salem.  I kinda like Fort Wayne, but as a 'holiday' destination in March I'd definitely take Salem!  (When Mrs. Y and I went in 2014, the temperature was 70+ and the bike-riding in the Blue Ridge was fantastic.)  But FW IS a helluva lot closer. ;)

One of my worries (aside from rookie FW folks vs. Salem vets on hosting a great experience) is that the arena holds 13,000!  They plan to curtain off the top area (so only 5,500), but can the fan experience of perhaps 4,000? people really 'gel' in such a big arena?  (My older son, his buddy, and I were at an early era MLS game at Soldier Field;  having perhaps 9-10,000 fans in a stadium meant for 80,000? was NOT a riveting experience!)
Nay, the venue size less important than how the venue handles the Fianl Four.  Salem holds +/- 7000 and was never at capacity in my seven trips.  Now the weather and how the community handles it something different.  I would bet that with a new venue and close proximity to Indy the NCAA will be giving Ft Wayne a lot of attention .

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwumichigander on April 20, 2017, 06:41:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 18, 2017, 10:30:12 PM
Quote from: augiefan on April 18, 2017, 09:43:19 PM
A while back I speculated as to whether the DIII championship would be moved from Salem to a Midwest site in the foreseeable future. The foreseeable future is now. The next 4 years the championship will be played at War Memorial Coliseum in Ft. Wayne, IN. A lot shorter trip for CCIW fans, if we are fortunate enough to get a team to the FF in those years.

You're jumping the gun by a year - next year the FF is still in Salem.  I kinda like Fort Wayne, but as a 'holiday' destination in March I'd definitely take Salem!  (When Mrs. Y and I went in 2014, the temperature was 70+ and the bike-riding in the Blue Ridge was fantastic.)  But FW IS a helluva lot closer. ;)

One of my worries (aside from rookie FW folks vs. Salem vets on hosting a great experience) is that the arena holds 13,000!  They plan to curtain off the top area (so only 5,500), but can the fan experience of perhaps 4,000? people really 'gel' in such a big arena?  (My older son, his buddy, and I were at an early era MLS game at Soldier Field;  having perhaps 9-10,000 fans in a stadium meant for 80,000? was NOT a riveting experience!)
Nay, the venue size less important than how the venue handles the Fianl Four.  Salem holds +/- 7000 and was never at capacity in my seven trips.  Now the weather and how the community handles it something different.  I would bet that with a new venue and close proximity to Indy the NCAA will be giving Ft Wayne a lot of attention .

I agree. While I've never been to Salem, I've watched the Final Four every year since it's been available on TV or via webstream. And the Salem Civic Center really swallows up the crowd. It looks half-empty, or more than half-empty, when the camera pans back to take in, say, an entire side's worth of seats, rather than focusing on the lower section closest to the court, where all of the fans are. And even in that lower section there's always empty seats. With seating restricted to the lower bowl in the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, it sounds like it'll have pretty much the same sort of vibe as the Salem Civic Center with regard to the "feel" of the crowd in terms of size.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: iwumichigander on April 20, 2017, 06:36:29 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 20, 2017, 12:36:14 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 20, 2017, 12:30:32 PM
Specifically, the D1 Final Four was played at the Georgia Dome and the D3 Final was played at the Atlanta Hawks home, Philips Arena, according to the game report on this site. Their capacity is 21,000. On the Playoff History page, the attendance is listed at 3,541, but in the Championship game summary, it says 6,284.

I suppose as a player, it's pretty cool to play in a huge arena. But the atmosphere lacks. I always thought it was interesting that our high school football finals are played at the Wisconsin Badgers' 80,000 seat Camp Randall.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that 3,541 listed in the NCAA record book.
Hum, memory test - I believe fans holding tickets to the D1 Final Four got in to D3 for free.  This might explain the differential between "paid" versus actual attendance.  I do remember D1 fans that did not normally see D3 remarking about the quality of play and the experience.

Everyone got in for free.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

iwu70

Goodbye Salem, hello Ft. Wayne. 

For those of you who combine Final IV attendance with a round or two of golf, may I recommend a great course near Ft. Wayne?  It's called Autumn Ridge and is just north of FW on I-69.  Lovely course.  I highly recommend it. 

Let's hope during those four years now set for FW that we have a CCIW Final Four entrant each and every year. 

Just back from Singapore and Jakarta -- recruiting for IWU -- found lots of good opera singers but no Indonesia Yao Ming as yet.  Singapore is just too smart to send any of their best kids to the US and IWU now . . . and most folks said they didn't want to go through the hassle of a US visa and "extreme vetting" now anyway. So many treated so rudely and crudely.  They'd rather stay home and watch badminton and ping pong.  And with all the guns and shootings in America, most Asian parents are very worried about sending their kids to those mean streets anyway!  Sure, I know University of Chicago is in a great neighborhood.   I guess I'll have to try Taiwan and Japan next month.  Jeremy Lin came from Taiwan, right? 

Warm greetings to all the CCIW chatsters from the Far Side.  It's getting really hot and humid in HK now and my brain is just getting too fried, so I'm not thinking straight.  Best get back to Bloomington soon, and "cool off."

:)

IWU'70

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: iwu70 on April 21, 2017, 02:26:58 AM
Goodbye Salem, hello Ft. Wayne. 

For those of you who combine Final IV attendance with a round or two of golf, may I recommend a great course near Ft. Wayne?  It's called Autumn Ridge and is just north of FW on I-69.  Lovely course.  I highly recommend it. 

Let's hope during those four years now set for FW that we have a CCIW Final Four entrant each and every year. 

Just back from Singapore and Jakarta -- recruiting for IWU -- found lots of good opera singers but no Indonesia Yao Ming as yet.  Singapore is just too smart to send any of their best kids to the US and IWU now . . . and most folks said they didn't want to go through the hassle of a US visa and "extreme vetting" now anyway. So many treated so rudely and crudely.  They'd rather stay home and watch badminton and ping pong.  And with all the guns and shootings in America, most Asian parents are very worried about sending their kids to those mean streets anyway!  Sure, I know University of Chicago is in a great neighborhood.   I guess I'll have to try Taiwan and Japan next month.  Jeremy Lin came from Taiwan, right? 

Warm greetings to all the CCIW chatsters from the Far Side.  It's getting really hot and humid in HK now and my brain is just getting too fried, so I'm not thinking straight.  Best get back to Bloomington soon, and "cool off."

:)

IWU'70

Jeremy Lin went to school in California, I believe.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Golfing in mid-March? That's probably 50/50, at best.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

petemcb

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 20, 2017, 04:45:59 PM
I didn't find out about this article until today, but it's worth posting, anyway:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/arlington-heights/sports/ct-ahp-antonio-gardner-matt-szuba-north-park-basketball-tl-0420-20170412-story.html

Here's another article giving some more perspective on Szuba.  He is a great kid.  So is his sidekick, Antonio.  Those are nice pickups for NPU.  (Sorry if this one's already been posted.)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/arlington-heights/sports/ct-ahp-prospect-boys-basketball-tl-0126-20170124-story.html

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 21, 2017, 10:30:15 AM
Golfing in mid-March? That's probably 50/50, at best.

In Indiana, for sure. If you want to golf at the Final Four, this upcoming season is your last chance for a while. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Titan Q

IWU recruit...

* Doug Wallen, 6-4 SF/PF (Champaign Central H.S.)

https://twitter.com/dougwallen11/status/855515160693395458

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/boys-basketball/2017-02-27/alone-top-centrals-wallen-just-keeps-scoring.html

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/boys-basketball/2016-06-06/3-time-all-area-first-teamer-transferring-central.html

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/boys-basketball/2017-03-25/2017-all-area-boys-basketball-teams.html

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sports/local-sports/centrals-doug-wallen-fitting-in-with-maroons/629876020

Wallen had D2 offers from Winona State and U. of Indianapolis.  He is the all-time leading scorer in the history of Champaign-Urbana H.S. hoops.

Should be a good player at IWU.  #Significant

----------
* Charlie Bair, 6-6 F/C, Glenbard South H.S.   16.6 ppg, 11.3 rpg
* Colin Cheaney, 6-3 SG, Batavia H.S.   14.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.2 apg
* Eric Higgs, 6-0 PG/SG, Farmington H.S.   25.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.7 spg
* Max Muller, 6-5 G/F, Porta H.S. (Petersburg, IL)   21.1 ppg, 8.1 rpg
* Doug Wallen, 6-4 SF/PF, Champaign Central H.S.   14.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg
* Grant Wolfe, 6-0 PG, Effingham H.S.   20.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 5.5 apg

Mr. Ypsi

Q, a slight correction - he is the all-time leading scorer in Champaign-Urbana BOYS hoops.  He is several hundred points behind his own sister! ;)

And, yeah, I doubt even AndOne would quibble that this appears to be a 'significant' recruit! ;D

iwu70

Jeremy Lin -- family from Taiwan, yes, a Chinese-American, no doubt a Tiger Mother, then to Harvard, right? 

I'm still looking for that Indonesian or Singaporean Yao Ming . . .

Autumn Ridge worth a trip . . . if March doesn't work out, I'd recommend a return in May or June.  I play it every time I drive past Ft. Wayne on any one of my road trips East from Central IL.  Very lovely course in Autumn . . . too.

Looks like a great pick up for IWU, #significant.  In Q I trust.

'70

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 21, 2017, 07:14:14 PM
Q, a slight correction - he is the all-time leading scorer in Champaign-Urbana BOYS hoops.  He is several hundred points behind his own sister! ;)

And, yeah, I doubt even AndOne would quibble that this appears to be a 'significant' recruit! ;D

We're in the men's board. I think it's assumed we're talking about men and boys.  ;D  :D  :)
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!