CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Matson

Greg, it's time for some Norwegian talent, wouldn't you say?
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Gotberg

Quote from: Jim Matson on September 12, 2009, 01:19:40 AM
Greg, it's time for some Norwegian talent, wouldn't you say?

North Park had a handful of Norwegian players back in the early 90s - but I don't remember seeing any more since then.

This Norwegian player almost played in a couple of games with North Park soccer players that played in an indoor league during the offseason.  Would have been fun to see him play, but he decided he shouldn't risk getting hurt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Bohinen
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

mr_b

North Park moves to 4-0 on the season with a 1-0 victory over Willamette in Tacoma, WA.  The Vikings take on Puget Sound on Sunday before returning to Chicago.

Jim Matson

UPS is tough and  will be a great "post-season" test for North Park.  Caroline Love is playing well! ;)

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 11, 2009, 09:11:18 PM
That's twelve points in four matches now for Kristoffer Grahn. He may be the most prolific Swede that John Born has ever brought into the NPU program, even more prolific than Freddie Airosto or P.J. Eriksson -- and he's only a sophomore.

The Vikings have a really nice 1-2 Svenska punch up front in Grahn and Tajinder (yes, he's really Swedish) Singh.

Greg - Grahn easily had the best resume coming over from Sweden.  Grahn played in the first division in Sweden, which probably equates to the USL here in the States.  There are very few d3 stars that have played in the USL.

The difference between the USL and Division 1 in Sweden, is that most Division 1 players in Sweden are Amateurs, while all USL players here are pro.   USL is one level below MLS - in case you're not aware.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gotberg

NPU defeats UPS, 3-2.  Grahn with 2 goals and Colago with 1.  All scoring was in the first half.

Ryan McNaughton has not played for NPU this year - anyone know if he is injured?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Gotberg on September 13, 2009, 07:40:21 PM
NPU defeats UPS, 3-2.  Grahn with 2 goals and Colago with 1.  All scoring was in the first half.

Ryan McNaughton has not played for NPU this year - anyone know if he is injured?

Yes, McNaughton's been sidelined thus far with an injury. I suspect that he'll make his season debut sometime within the next week or so. He'll be a big addition at midfield once's he's back at full strength.

Grahn's currently averaging 3.20 points per game (five goals and six assists in five contests). His nearest competitor, Keith Thurman of Elmhurst (who won the CCIW's inaugural Player of the Week award last week), is averaging 1.80 ppg (four goals and an assist in five games). That's quite a disparity.

Quote from: Gotberg on September 13, 2009, 07:08:15 PMGreg - Grahn easily had the best resume coming over from Sweden.  Grahn played in the first division in Sweden, which probably equates to the USL here in the States.  There are very few d3 stars that have played in the USL.

The difference between the USL and Division 1 in Sweden, is that most Division 1 players in Sweden are Amateurs, while all USL players here are pro.   USL is one level below MLS - in case you're not aware.

Thanks for the 411, Gotberg. I've been told that NPU freshman Efy Restrepo, the Covenant missionary kid who broke his foot in preseason and is likely going to get a medical redshirt for this year, played on a very high level as well over in Spain. Do you know anything about his soccer background, and whether or not his prior level of competition was comparable to Grahn's?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 14, 2009, 04:29:59 PM
Quote from: Gotberg on September 13, 2009, 07:40:21 PM

Yes, McNaughton's been sidelined thus far with an injury. I suspect that he'll make his season debut sometime within the next week or so. He'll be a big addition at midfield once's he's back at full strength.

Grahn's currently averaging 3.20 points per game (five goals and six assists in five contests). His nearest competitor, Keith Thurman of Elmhurst (who won the CCIW's inaugural Player of the Week award last week), is averaging 1.80 ppg (four goals and an assist in five games). That's quite a disparity.

Quote from: Gotberg on September 13, 2009, 07:08:15 PMGreg - Grahn easily had the best resume coming over from Sweden.  Grahn played in the first division in Sweden, which probably equates to the USL here in the States.  There are very few d3 stars that have played in the USL.

The difference between the USL and Division 1 in Sweden, is that most Division 1 players in Sweden are Amateurs, while all USL players here are pro.   USL is one level below MLS - in case you're not aware.

Thanks for the 411, Gotberg. I've been told that NPU freshman Efy Restrepo, the Covenant missionary kid who broke his foot in preseason and is likely going to get a medical redshirt for this year, played on a very high level as well over in Spain. Do you know anything about his soccer background, and whether or not his prior level of competition was comparable to Grahn's?

I am not familiar with Efy.  If I hear of anything, I will let you know.

Gregory Sager

Grahn was named the CCIW's Offensive Player of the Week. That award in turn deserves a nice, big, resounding "Duh!" ;)

Dennis_Prikkel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 15, 2009, 02:45:38 PM
Grahn was named the CCIW's Offensive Player of the Week. That award in turn deserves a nice, big, resounding "Duh!" ;)

is the "Duh" in swedish or norwegian?  ;D
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

tjcummingsfan

In today's NSCAA poll, North Park jumped from 3rd in the Central region to 1st, and from 23rd in the nation to #8!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: tjcummingsfan on September 15, 2009, 03:36:26 PM
In today's NSCAA poll, North Park jumped from 3rd in the Central region to 1st, and from 23rd in the nation to #8!

That's great recognition for the Vikings' hot start, but NPU must not let itself become complacent. Edgewood looks like a decent team, and after that game tomorrow the Vikings will have to host a Hope team on Saturday night that's always good.

mr_b

Quote from: dennis_prikkel on September 15, 2009, 03:26:36 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 15, 2009, 02:45:38 PM

is the "Duh" in swedish or norwegian?  ;D
I believe "Uff Duh!" is Swedish, but I might be mistaken.

Jim Matson

Yeah TJF, but is that the "good" poll? ;)