West Regional Rankings

Started by TitanPride, November 03, 2013, 10:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retagent

FWIW, they should count a situation like the Bethel win over SJU as a Regionally Ranked victory, since the loss to Bethel is what knocks them out of the Rankings. It's kind of a Catch-22.

hazzben

Bethel likely has 3 wins over RRO as well. Plus their SOS number is now a good deal stronger than UWW.

We won't know how they do it. But I think the case can be made for either. And UWW getting jumped wouldn't be out of the question based on criteria.

cubs

Why not just go with the criteria "once ranked, always ranked?"
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

George Thompson

New year, new regional rankings?

To start the comments from anyone, and everyone, here goes.   Strange year, with only two unbeatens left in the West.    Based on what I have seen so far, here are my picks for the West Region playoffs:

1.  UW-Whitewater
2.  Wartburg
3.  Bethel
4.  Linfield
5.  Chapman
6.  St. John's
7.  UW - Platteville
8.  St. Scholastica

Of course this can change depending on the next two games.

George
GO CATS! GO!

02 Warhawk

The Linfield loss makes things interesting in the West. I wonder if the loss will allow the committee to ship MHB out here come playoff time, with Wartburg being the #2. That's assuming UWW goes North with Wheaton and the Bethel/St. John's winner.

Then of course Welsey will be the top dog in the South and UMU in the East.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: George Thompson on November 02, 2014, 07:35:21 PM
New year, new regional rankings?

To start the comments from anyone, and everyone, here goes.   Strange year, with only two three unbeatens left in the West.    Based on what I have seen so far, here are my picks for the West Region playoffs:

1.  UW-Whitewater
2.  Wartburg
3.  Bethel
4.  Linfield
5.  Chapman
6.  St. John's
7.  UW - Platteville
8.  St. Scholastica

Of course this can change depending on the next two games.

George
credit to dtrain for this correction (made on the NWC board)
Go Cats!

d-train

Decent attempt, but you left out the MWC. Not always an even 8 per region...and not really regions in the traditional sense anymore.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: d-train on November 02, 2014, 10:52:55 PM
Decent attempt, but you left out the MWC. Not always an even 8 per region...and not really regions in the traditional sense anymore.

This.  jknezek just mentioned on the Pool C thread, and I agree. 

Wally had a nice post a few weeks ago illustrating this:

2013:
Quad1-  3E, 2N, 3S
Quad2- 4N, 4W
Quad3- 1N, 3S, 4W
Quad4- 5E, 1N, 1S, 1W

2012:
Quad1-  2N, 6W
Quad2- 1E, 3N, 1S, 3W
Quad3- 3E, 2N, 3S
Quad4- 4E, 1N, 3S

2011:
Quad1-  3E, 2N, 2S, 1W
Quad2- 3E, 1N, 1S, 3W
Quad3- 1E, 4S, 3W
Quad4- 4N, 2S, 2W

There is no "West Region" playoff bracket.  Nor any other region.  The NCAA selects the four #1 seeds and builds a bracket around each one however possible.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

MonroviaCat

I could be wrong...but I think George may have been attempting to provide a stab at the Regional Rankings(?)--not a playoff pod (despite his mention of the word playoff).... 
Go Cats!

D O.C.

You guys and your chess game..... :P

hazzben

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 03, 2014, 11:42:56 AM
I could be wrong...but I think George may have been attempting to provide a stab at the Regional Rankings(?)--not a playoff pod (despite his mention of the word playoff)....

Well, then it's two slots short of being a regional ranking...and has St. Scholastica ranked  ???

MonroviaCat

Quote from: hazzben on November 03, 2014, 11:53:51 AM

Well, then it's two slots short of being a regional ranking...and has St. Scholastica ranked  ???
Ha--I didn't contend that George had any idea what he was talking about ;)
Go Cats!

d-train

..and has St. Scholastica ranked  ???

Well they are undeafeated. But I have other teams just outside my West top ten (like PLU, Pacific, Redlands, Central, UWSP, UWO) that I'm sure would just roll the Saints.  Same holds for the two one-loss teams from the MWC - I just couldn't find room for them.

hazzben

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 03, 2014, 12:15:09 PM

Ha--I didn't contend that George had any idea what he was talking about ;)

No, no you did not  :D

George Thompson

Quote from: d-train on November 02, 2014, 10:52:55 PM
D-train, you're right.    I messed up and did not notice that the MWC had two divisions     I assume the conference champ will get an automatic bid.

George
GO CATS! GO!