WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Jester1390 on June 15, 2020, 11:08:14 PM
Lol Perry I think Raven has become your where is Waldo.

I think she's iwu70's unicorn.

Quote from: GoPerry on June 15, 2020, 11:10:18 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 13, 2020, 07:11:05 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on June 12, 2020, 04:49:39 PM

https://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2020/6/8/general-2018-michael-hudson-the-thunder-womens-basketball-program-announces-its-newcomers-for-the-2020-21-season.aspx

One of those four freshmen was a three-year soccer player and was All-Conference in that sport in high school, and another one ran cross-country for four years (and was team captain for three of them) and played soccer for three years as well in high school. The logical question to ask is whether or not these newbies will be continuing their careers in soccer and/or cross-country at Wheaton as well, presenting Kent Madsen with the classic D3 coach's dilemma of having a two-sport student-athlete whose seasons overlap and who thus comes late into that coach's program every year.

As far as tough Thunder rosters to make for either the women or men, women's soccer would be right near the top.  If there were a recruit who was good enough to play Wheaton soccer and then join Madsen's crew for the winter, she would probably contribute right away.

You're implying that Wheaton makes cuts, or at least that Pete Felske does. Is that the case?

(Sorry for the digression, folks. But I am interested in whether CCIW schools have tryouts/cuts, regardless of sport. Plus, it's summer ... the season of d3boards.com digression.)

Quote from: Jester1390 on June 15, 2020, 11:08:14 PMAs far as two sporters on the ladies side, this seems even more rare than the men.  Only recent one at Wheaton I can think of was Kelly Thornton, WBB and Softball and she eventually chose to continue in the latter.

That may be a Wheaton thing rather than a general trend, because two-sporters are more common among female student-athletes at NPU than male student-athletes.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Jester1390

I think it's fairly common. My daughter was all conference in tennis and rose asked her to play but she was to worried about being overwhelmed at rose and having to play a sport right away. She loves tennis but she made the right choice as she was overwhelmed at first

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 16, 2020, 02:27:22 PM
Quote from: Jester1390 on June 15, 2020, 11:08:14 PM
Lol Perry I think Raven has become your where is Waldo.

I think she's iwu70's unicorn.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 13, 2020, 07:11:05 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on June 12, 2020, 04:49:39 PM

https://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2020/6/8/general-2018-michael-hudson-the-thunder-womens-basketball-program-announces-its-newcomers-for-the-2020-21-season.aspx

One of those four freshmen was a three-year soccer player and was All-Conference in that sport in high school, and another one ran cross-country for four years (and was team captain for three of them) and played soccer for three years as well in high school. The logical question to ask is whether or not these newbies will be continuing their careers in soccer and/or cross-country at Wheaton as well, presenting Kent Madsen with the classic D3 coach's dilemma of having a two-sport student-athlete whose seasons overlap and who thus comes late into that coach's program every year.

As far as tough Thunder rosters to make for either the women or men, women's soccer would be right near the top.  If there were a recruit who was good enough to play Wheaton soccer and then join Madsen's crew for the winter, she would probably contribute right away.

You're implying that Wheaton makes cuts, or at least that Pete Felske does. Is that the case?

(Sorry for the digression, folks. But I am interested in whether CCIW schools have tryouts/cuts, regardless of sport. Plus, it's summer ... the season of d3boards.com digression.)

No.  I didn't mean to imply Pete Felske holds open tryouts because I don't believe he does.  " . . . tough Thunder rosters to make" was a more general reference of someone good enough to be recruited and play regularly on that team.  The speed and physicality required to compete at that level of D3 soccer I think translates well over to WBB.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

As far as two sporters on the ladies side, this seems even more rare than the men.  Only recent one at Wheaton I can think of was Kelly Thornton, WBB and Softball and she eventually chose to continue in the latter.

Maybe where you are, but I'm pretty used to seeing two-sport female athletes. Calling national championships as I do, I often talk about students especially in the NESCAC who were on field hockey, soccer, or other programs and now contributing or staring in soccer - some even winning national championships in two sports in one academic year.

Many also will do cross country and track, or another sport and track. I actually feel it is more common with women than it is with men nowadays.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

iwu70

Raven Hughes coming back is just wishful thinking on my part.  I don't think she's returning.  But, the TITANS could use more rebounding, more toughness down low and in the paint.  Riley Brovelli will be great, returning, but sure could use some help, some further support, esp. against bigger, taller teams like WIAC teams and a few others.  Maybe some of the newbies can help, adding to Anna Lowis and Kaia Bowen in rebounding.  Need to replace Shanks' overall scoring, rebounding, steals and general basketball savvy. . . .  not easy.

IWU '70

RogK

An item regarding officiating for CCIW WBB :
https://cciw.org/news/2020/6/22/cciw-to-join-collegiate-officiating-consortium-for-womens-basketball-beginning-in-2020-21.aspx
As indicated in the article, Al Raya has done the work of several people for quite a while and maybe now he can relax while viewing games.
A couple of questions : it says the CCIW MBB refs were under this new supervisory system last season ... was there any discernible difference in the officiating? Were there more new refs than customary in previous seasons? Any answers to questions I haven't thought of?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on June 22, 2020, 03:00:40 PM
https://cciw.org/news/2020/6/22/cciw-to-join-collegiate-officiating-consortium-for-womens-basketball-beginning-in-2020-21.aspx
As indicated in the article, Al Raya has done the work of several people for quite a while and maybe now he can relax while viewing games.

That was one of my first thoughts as well. Al Raya can now come to the crackerbox and just enjoy the basketball for a change, rather than scrutinizing the refs and making everybody at the scorer's table nervous. ;)

A couple of questions : it says the CCIW MBB refs were under this new supervisory system last season ... was there any discernible difference in the officiating? Were there more new refs than customary in previous seasons? Any answers to questions I haven't thought of?

1. No.
2. A few, but not enough for most people to notice. That doesn't necessarily mean that we'll see more new refs for women's basketball this year, though, although I'm guessing that we will.

I don't know all the details as to why it happened this way, but I was surprised that the women's side lagged a year behind the men in making what seems to me to be a logical move.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I think sometimes it is hard to see what changes are going on behind the scenes with officiating. I have had some fascinating conversations with officials I know plus the head of DIII men's basketball officiating and I am sometimes completely unaware of changes going on. Some just don't jump out at anyone because the work is more gradual or fine tuning.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 22, 2020, 04:59:05 PM

That was one of my first thoughts as well. Al Raya can now come to the crackerbox and just enjoy the basketball for a change, rather than scrutinizing the refs and making everybody at the scorer's table nervous. ;)

Oh, thank God, I thought I was the only one. :P

I don't know if Al ever came at anyone at the crackerbox scorer's table, but he did come after me a time or two. Apparently, making a "one minute remaining in the (period/half/whatever)" announcement wasn't allowed according to him. I just kept doing it anyway. :)
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on June 23, 2020, 09:31:41 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 22, 2020, 04:59:05 PM

Oh, thank God, I thought I was the only one. :P

I don't know if Al ever came at anyone at the crackerbox scorer's table, but he did come after me a time or two. Apparently, making a "one minute remaining in the (period/half/whatever)" announcement wasn't allowed according to him. I just kept doing it anyway. :)

Al's generally a pretty nice person, but he has his moments. He came down to the crackerbox's scorer's table once and gave our staff some stick about the fact that he couldn't see the west scoreboard from where he was sitting because one of NPU's national championship banners blocked his view. Our staff politely heard him out, but our former SID Kevin Shepke assured Al that moving a banner to accommodate him was above the SID's, and everybody else's, pay grade. (Nobody said this in front of Al, but we all wondered why he didn't just look at the vastly larger and more informative east scoreboard like everybody else.)

No harm done ... and it made for one of those fun stories that game-staff personnel like to collect.

iwu70

Yes, 21 at the Big Blue, and mostly freshmen and sophomores.  Lots of new talent for Coach Lett to draw on . . .

'70

RogK

I can now reveal that the CCIW is getting a heavily-recruited player who, while not seen as having a "high ceiling," is certainly regarded as having a "high floor." She is Lynn Oleum.

Jester1390

Well Roger no Chicago IWU this year for Rose but they will be playing Elmhurst and North Park in North Park tournament in November so i will have my first visit to North Park

RogK

Jester1390, the RHIT schedule now shows "@ Midwest Challenge - Illinois Wesleyan" for 28th-29th of November.
Does that one feature pre-determined 2nd day matchups, or do the day 1 winners play each other on day 2?
Am I remembering correctly that in a four-team "classic tournament" the day 2 matchups are pre-determined? Not sure there's an agreed-upon name for the other type.