BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 17, 2019, 07:51:52 PM
I doubt I will EVER understand the thinking of MLB managers. ::)  Jordan Zimmermann, in his first start after yet ANOTHER DL stint, had a one-hit shutout (on only 63 pitches) thru five, and got pulled!!  I suppose it was precautionary (first start back from DL), but come on!  A pitch count limit of 90 maybe, but 63??!!

I think you said it when you wrote "ANOTHER DL stint".  Unless things chge drastically, the Tigers are looking at the 2020 season.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Jim Dixon on August 19, 2019, 12:32:16 PM
I doubt I will EVER understand the thinking of MLB managers. ::)  Jordan Zimmermann, in his first start after yet ANOTHER DL stint, had a one-hit shutout (on only 63 pitches) thru five, and got pulled!!  I suppose it was precautionary (first start back from DL), but come on!  A pitch count limit of 90 maybe, but 63??!!

I think you said it when you wrote "ANOTHER DL stint".  Unless things chge drastically, the Tigers are looking at the 2020 season.

My understanding is they are not even looking at the 2020 season, but the 2021 season AT THE EARLIEST.

With his contract, they have no hope of trading JZ.  They just hope he can be an 'elder statesman' in the locker room for the younger guys  (and they DO have some promising arms in the minors).

Bombers798891

You don't understand why a pitcher with an incredibly lengthy history of arm injuries, in his first start back from a DL stint, would be on a pitch count?

Gray Fox

A radio show today was talking about the reduction in minor league teams.

Will this improve college baseball at all levels because more players will be forced to develop their game in college rather than the minors?
I'm assuming the lower minors will be hit the hardest.
Fierce When Roused

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 06, 2020, 02:11:35 PM

Will this improve college baseball at all levels because more players will be forced to develop their game in college rather than the minors?

I think that the number of free agent signings will be impacted the most.  The draft use to be 60+ rounds and is now just 40. This is less than two squads.

120 teams is just 4/ MLB team (AAA, AA, high A, low A). This means essentially eliminating the short season A's and rookie leagues.  Most rookie leagues are in the teams training facilities and will probably change to an instructional league with no games, just instructional play (wild if you ever watch the games as substitution rules are suspended as players leave and come back).

Gray Fox

Quote from: Jim Dixon on July 07, 2020, 01:14:33 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on July 06, 2020, 02:11:35 PM

I think that the number of free agent signings will be impacted the most.  The draft use to be 60+ rounds and is now just 40. This is less than two squads.

120 teams is just 4/ MLB team (AAA, AA, high A, low A). This means essentially eliminating the short season A's and rookie leagues.  Most rookie leagues are in the teams training facilities and will probably change to an instructional league with no games, just instructional play (wild if you ever watch the games as substitution rules are suspended as players leave and come back).
+k
But there were only five rounds this year.
Fierce When Roused

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 07, 2020, 04:53:06 PM
+k
But there were only five rounds this year.

Because there would be no milb season.  why stock the coffers with players who will not play.