WBB: Little East

Started by Allen M. Karon, March 09, 2004, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen M. Karon

Any idea on ticket situation for sectionals-- i.e. how fast the tickets will be selling?  I understand that Bowdoin and S. Maine are selling their tickets in advance-- I am from the Boston area and have already booked a hotel reservation at Travelers Inn in Brunswick, ME-- I desperately want to go to watch the sectionals, but I'm afraid that sectionals may be sold out by 3 PM Friday-- which would be the time that the Concord Trailways bus from Boston will be arriving.

I have tried e-mailing Debbie Miller at Bowdoin, and while the automated message is helpful, there  have been no assurances that some tickets would be available for sale at gate.  I have not received any e-mail reply from Debbie Miller at Bowdoin, either.  I do not have a car, and it would not be feasible for me to take a separate trip to Maine just to get an advanced ticket.  According to the message, any unsold tickets by S. Maine, Scranton, or Wittenberg would go on sale at Bowdoin at 9 AM Friday, Eastern time.  

If anyone gets an extra ticket, I would appreciate it.  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Good luck to all in the sectionals.

Allen M. Karon

I am able to go to Friday's games after all.  My contacts up in Maine were able to use their pull and get me a ticket.

I'll see you tomorrow.

Allen

ttn

everyone has been pretty quiet this year. well i will put in my 2 cents worth.
i dont want to take anything away from Bowdoin.  wow. what a defense.  
but i have to say something about the brackets. the ncaa screwed usm again. the potential should have existed for usm and bowdoin to play in the national championship. after all they were #1 and #2.  or at least they should have been able to play in the last round at bowdoin.  but as usual the brackets are influenced by the dollar, travel and convenience.  i think we have learned to expect this from the ncaa.  
anyway, Bia, Baby Face Myles, Meg, i am proud of you all.  
and good luck justine.- "nun" better at bowdoin.

usm fan

Older I get.....

Any news on why the West Conn job is open???  Where did Rybczyk go after just 2 years???

LA RAMS

What happened to Tiffany Jones????  Was she suspended or something?  Why, for God's sake?
"Beating 'SC is not a matter of life or death.  It's more important than that."  Former UCLA Head Football Coach Red Sanders

CoachStaff

Bangor Daily News, Nov. 24 reported that several USM student-athletes were suspended because of false time cards submitted for work-study in athletics. Jones may have been one of them?

Nancy Abromowitz

Sat behind some Western New England parents yesterday at the Brandeis game, somebody should tell them you DON'T call a team overrated unless you beat them. Brandeis opened up multiple 20 point leads, substituted freely (several times had 4 frosh on floor at once, for 3-5 minute streches)and because Western scored 8 unanswered points in the last minute, doesn't mean if Caoch Simon wanted to beat you by 60 she couldn't. All the nasayers beware, if you have seen games since the opening game you would realize that Brandeis has taken steps evry week and this young team is getting more comfortable with their respective roles. Hope it continues.

Kayla Johnson

Allen:
What's your take on the USM/MMA game?!

LA RAMS

Funny how the news of Tiffany Jones' dismissal from the USM team comes RIGHT after I make my picks for the Dance which naturally had me picking USM dancing all the way to the National Championship game. What the HELL happened now?  I didn't know that she had been suspended back in January for violating team rules but this is really sad - not only for her but the team as well.  Bloody rotten timing to say the least.
"Beating 'SC is not a matter of life or death.  It's more important than that."  Former UCLA Head Football Coach Red Sanders

Allen M. Karon

Kayla--

With the news of the Tiffany Jones suspension, look for S. Maine to advance to the Sweet 16, but lose to  Bates or Emmanuel in the Sweet 16.  S. Maine's national title hopes are now practically gone.

Kayla Johnson

Yeah bad news for USM...without her they are a different team - still great, but definitely not the phenomenal team they are with her!

Not In The Bulb

With the suspension of Tiffany Jones, Southern Maine may have a difficult time with Ithaca. The Bombers got off to a slow start, missing Jennie Swatling and Kelly Gawronski who graduated last spring. The team jelled nicely, however, over Christmas Break when coach Dan Raymond instituted "two-a-day" practices, the first of which started at 6am. Since then, Ithaca has only lost to UR(in OT, a game the Bombers should have won), Bowdoin(who was #1 at the time), and conference rival St.John Fisher...who they've beaten twice since.  

Ithaca boasts a sure-fire first team all-american in Stephanie Cleary. Cleary is 2nd in the nation in both scoring and steals, after leading the entire NCAA, all divisions for men and women, in steals last year. She averaged over 30 ppg in the E8 tournament and opened with 27 in the first round vs Colby-Sawyer.

Other players to watch for Ithaca include junio Jill Post and sophomore Sue Kelly. Kelly, a sweet-shooting lefty, has come on of late. She has a very nice outside jumper. Post is an interior player who can also step out and hit the outside J. Her improved play coincided with the reawakening of the Bombers. I think this will be a very close game.

(Message edited by gobombers15 on March 4, 2005)

Lloyd Christmas

Ithaca lost at home to Bowdoin (when the Bomber's "sure-fire first-team All-American" exploded for nine points and one steal) by 16. USM is a slight notch below Bowdoin/Bates, Jones or no Jones, and playing at home. USM is a dominant defensive team and has won its last 25 games.  

The loss of Jones hurts USM's depth a bit, but her loss won't make a difference until they play Bates.

I'd be surprised if this was a close game.

Not In The Bulb

She'll have bad shooting nights now and then. She's expected to carry the entire load for that team so she's allowed to have a bad regular season game now and then. Keep in mind Bowdoin's coach was an Ithaca assistant up through last year. She'd seen Steph in every game and every practice for three years. Think maybe,just maybe, she knew Steph's strengths and weaknesses? I'm gonna say yes.

A "slight" notch below Bates? You got it handed to you by Bates, friend. You didn't have Jones then and you don't have her now, so I would say you're more than a "slight" notch below them right now.  

Unless Cleary can't throw it in the ocean tomorrow, this will be a close game. The Bombers are peaking at the right time.

Not In The Bulb

And, yes, she's a shoe-in for first team all-american. SECOND in points and SECOND in steals in the nation. Over/Under on steals for her tomorrow is 4.5, place your bets now.