2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblot

Guilford will have to fly to sectionals.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Inkblot

So it's Amherst, Nichols, Swarthmore, and Randolph–Macon in the lower-left sectional. I notice it's 484 miles from Randolph–Macon to Amherst.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Rules on the number of cheerleaders and pep band members... oh and there's some basketball games on too. Good work Dave, Ryan, and Gordon. :)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

SUMMIT!!!!!

and we are assured that there will not be a repeat champion.  NWU was tough but UST's defense, depth and balance carried the day,  Not bad for  team picked to finish 4th in its conference :)

who will host upper right Sweet 16? UST, UWO, Guiliford and Loras? I believe UST & UWO are committed to hosting the women's sweet 16
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 02, 2019, 09:53:17 PM
and we are assured that there will not be a repeat champion.  NWU was tough but UST's defense, depth and balance carried the day,  Not bad for  team picked to finish 4th in its conference :)

who will host upper right Sweet 16? UST, UWO, Guiliford and Loras? I believe UST & UWO are committed to hosting the women's sweet 16

In odd-numbered years, men have preference in the 2nd weekend.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 02, 2019, 09:56:12 PM
Quote from: miacmaniac on March 02, 2019, 09:53:17 PM

In odd-numbered years, men have preference in the 2nd weekend.

Guilford is flying, the other 3 are all in range of each other. Loras was ahead of St Thomas in the regional rankings. My guess is Oshkosh hosts.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Gregory Sager

UW-Oshkosh will host. Men have preference over the women in the second weekend for hosting purposes. And UWO was third in the final Central Region ranking, while Loras was fourth and St. Thomas was fifth in the West Region ranking. All three schools are within bus distance of each other.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2019, 10:06:41 PM
UW-Oshkosh will host. Men have preference over the women in the second weekend for hosting purposes. And UWO was third in the final Central Region ranking, while Loras was fourth and St. Thomas was fifth in the West Region ranking. All three schools are within bus distance of each other.

The Central #3 vs West #4 is not a thing at all. 

Just comes down to which resume is considered better:
* Oshkosh: .885/.542/5-3 
* Loras: .778/.587/3-2 (wins over two of the tourney's top four seeds - Augustana and Nebraska Wesleyan)

That is super, super close.  Probably Oshkosh by an eyelash.

(We do know it is not St. Thomas...because they are for sure behind Loras.)

Titan Q

Quote from: Titan Q on March 02, 2019, 11:54:16 AM
Here is the one Augie hosts for sure:
- Augustana
- Wheaton
- Marietta
- Oswego State

Two flights either way you slice it...highest seed (Augustana) wins.

Obviously Augie as a host is a done deal.

Inkblot

So Augustana, Oshkosh, Amherst, and Hamilton probably?

Titan Q

Quote from: Inkblot on March 02, 2019, 10:22:01 PM
So Augustana, Oshkosh, Amherst, and Hamilton probably?

I think Loras vs Oshkosh is a coin flip.

I think there will be serious discussion (financially) about flying 3 teams to Whitman.  I don't think Hamilton (or Williams) is a done deal over Whitman.

Whitman is the overall #1 or #2 seed in this tournament.  Shipping them east would be a big-time screw job.  Not saying it won't happen...but this has to be a huge conversation.

kiko

Quote from: Titan Q on March 02, 2019, 10:14:08 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2019, 10:06:41 PM

The Central #3 vs West #4 is not a thing at all. 

Just comes down to which resume is considered better:
* Oshkosh: .885/.542/5-3 
* Loras: .778/.587/3-2 (wins over two of the tourney's top four seeds - Augustana and Nebraska Wesleyan)

That is super, super close.  Probably Oshkosh by an eyelash.

(We do know it is not St. Thomas...because they are for sure behind Loras.)

Not sure if it matters at all in this conversation, but Loras just beat the team directly ahead of Oshkosh in the last set of rankings.  I don't know if the committee freezes resumes at the end of the regular season or factors in the first weekend as it parses out resumes this close.

Titan Q

Quote from: kiko on March 02, 2019, 10:33:36 PM

Not sure if it matters at all in this conversation, but Loras just beat the team directly ahead of Oshkosh in the last set of rankings.  I don't know if the committee freezes resumes at the end of the regular season or factors in the first weekend as it parses out resumes this close.

They freeze them.  So they don't look at NCAA tournament games at all...just the Selection Sunday resumes.

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/02/men-regional-rankings-final

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There was a time the data changed based on the tournament ... before it was revealed to the committee that they were influencing how that data was changing based on their tournament brackets.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

Gurantee alot of brackets took a hit with that loss of NWU!!!