FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SagatagSam

Quote from: sfury on October 16, 2018, 11:39:02 PM
Mentioned this on the game thread but the maddening use of replays on the Stretch games is something else. Number one all-time example, as I just went back to rewatch: On Jackson's fumble recovery, the replay starts as Jackson picks up the ball! The live action then picks up with Jackson running on the Tommies 30-yard line. These replays start .005 seconds after the play ends...and sometimes the play isn't even over! So the biggest play of the season, and we didn't even see the dang thing in its entirety. If Stretch was handling the 2003 Stagg, it would have cut to replay as Elliott was bouncing off the Mount defender on his TD run because it would have thought play was over.

That frustrated me as well.  I'm guessing there is just a "replay button" that the producer can hit and there isn't any ability to adjust to specific situations on the fly.  This function is likely preset to last the duration of the average football play (which, I'm guessing is between 7 and 10 seconds). I have yet to break out the stop watch to confirm this, but that's what I'm thinking based on past observation of the Johnnie live stream. There are some long developing plays I've seen in the past that get cut off because of this presumed preset.  I want to say there were some punt returns for TDs and long developing/long yardage pass plays where the replay begins mid play.  It's almost like when I'm watching an NFL game and I hit the "back" button on my DVR and it automatically jumps 10 seconds back.

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

AO

Quote from: faunch on October 17, 2018, 06:49:50 AM
Quote from: sfury on October 17, 2018, 12:48:08 AM
Tried a fancy google drive thing here to see that replay in question. Again, appreciate the folks working on it but you can imagine the frustration of being at home, waiting for first victory over St. Thomas in four years, Tommies marching in to make game closer and then....

https://tinyurl.com/y9pk82cf
Gamen highlights...Jackson's fumble return included.
https://youtu.be/PEWbU-Et584
As long as we're giving constructive criticism to the Johnnies video team, those highlights make the game look very boring.  Show the Tommie highlights so you can build up some tension in the video.  Use VOJ's call a lot more and the music way less.

Mr.MIAC

Way off topic. I had an interesting conversation about marijuanas with some tourists from Colorado last night. Colorado has legalized marijuanas for recreational use, and it's now legal to smoke recreationally and carry up to two ounces for personal use in DC. To be honest, it's hard to walk a few blocks in the city and not smell marijuanas nowadays, so I guess it's become socially acceptable. Anyways, these folks were saying that on college campuses in Colorado smoking marijuanas is seen as akin to drinking beer--it's just part of college life. That got me thinking about how athletic programs are approaching the whole thing. As more states legalize marijuanas for recreational and/or medical use (including Minnesota), are coaches and administrators talking about it with players? If so, what are they saying? 

MiacMan

Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on October 17, 2018, 10:51:34 AM
Way off topic. I had an interesting conversation about marijuanas with some tourists from Colorado last night. Colorado has legalized marijuanas for recreational use, and it's now legal to smoke recreationally and carry up to two ounces for personal use in DC. To be honest, it's hard to walk a few blocks in the city and not smell marijuanas nowadays, so I guess it's become socially acceptable. Anyways, these folks were saying that on college campuses in Colorado smoking marijuanas is seen as akin to drinking beer--it's just part of college life. That got me thinking about how athletic programs are approaching the whole thing. As more states legalize marijuanas for recreational and/or medical use (including Minnesota), are coaches and administrators talking about it with players? If so, what are they saying?

Rev

I gotta hand it to ya, you are man of extremes. I have no clue. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the issue in my coaching days. My guess would be that if it is indeed legal for recreational use, one would treat it like alcohol? Make sure the kids are educated on the dangers etc..?

wally_wabash

As long as it stays on the NCAA's banned substance list, your players have to stay away from it.  "But it's legal in my town" isn't going to keep you from getting suspended by the NCAA for a failed test. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MiacMan

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 17, 2018, 11:15:13 AM
As long as it stays on the NCAA's banned substance list, your players have to stay away from it.  "But it's legal in my town" isn't going to keep you from getting suspended by the NCAA for a failed test.

Excellent Point! So really as far as student-athletes go nothing would really change. Next question.

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: MiacMan on October 17, 2018, 11:22:55 AM

Excellent Point! So really as far as student-athletes go nothing would really change. Next question.

That list is interesting; it includes caffeine and alcohol. Marijuana, listed as an illicit drug, is banned. However, it's not illicit in many states, and the number of states is growing. I wonder if the NCAA is discussing this legalization issue internally. I guess my bigger point is that if the legal use of marijuana is truly becoming commonplace on college campuses, coaches are probably having to raise awareness of some of these issues amongst the players. Back in my undergraduate days we were told not to get too drunk, and never drink and drive. If an authority figure sat us down and told us not to get high, which sort of implies we might want to get high, it would have been surreal.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on October 17, 2018, 11:54:52 AM
Quote from: MiacMan on October 17, 2018, 11:22:55 AM

That list is interesting; it includes caffeine and alcohol. Marijuana, listed as an illicit drug, is banned. However, it's not illicit in many states, and the number of states is growing. I wonder if the NCAA is discussing this legalization issue internally. I guess my bigger point is that if the legal use of marijuana is truly becoming commonplace on college campuses, coaches are probably having to raise awareness of some of these issues amongst the players. Back in my undergraduate days we were told not to get too drunk, and never drink and drive. If an authority figure sat us down and told us not to get high, which sort of implies we might want to get high, it would have been surreal.

I'm sure with the NCAA's long and steadfast record on issues of social progress, as well as their commitment to not restricting a student-athlete's individual rights in any way, they'll be right on this. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

sowilson

Plus, Football S&C coaches, trainers, and medical staff will have opinions on the use of alchohol, weed, and other substances and how it effects you as a football player.  Part of being an athlete is to fuel yourself properly and alcohol and weed probably don't fit into that picture.

DuffMan

Quote from: sowilson on October 17, 2018, 12:27:44 PM
Part of being an athlete is to fuel yourself properly and alcohol and weed probably don't fit into that picture.

Says the guy that bragged about his son's Beer Pong prowess.  ::)

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

D O.C.

I cannot comment on this.
I've agreed to drop the subject.

sowilson

Quote from: DuffMan on October 17, 2018, 12:44:09 PM
Quote from: sowilson on October 17, 2018, 12:27:44 PM
Part of being an athlete is to fuel yourself properly and alcohol and weed probably don't fit into that picture.

Says the guy that bragged about his son's Beer Pong prowess.  ::)

yep a choice he's made, not that I agree with it.  I wouldn't have a problem if athletic departments banned alcohol use and suspended players who drank, even my son.  Are you trying make some lame point?

DuffMan

I find it a bit hypocritical and amusing that you'd boast about something that you don't condone, but then again, that's your choice and not something I'd agree with.  :P

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

jamtod

From the OAC board, something fun for us to banter about:

Quote from: oldtraveler39 on October 17, 2018, 03:03:05 PM
Was reading the Toledo Blade newspaper this morning and in the article of BGSU replacing the fired head coach, on the list of possible hires was Glenn Caruso, Head Coach of Division 3 St Thomas.

SagatagSam

The fellas at SSQTCH put together footage of the field storming post-Johnnie-Tommie with the climax to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBGKFTmN2c

I thought it was kind of funny how moments after the first few fans entered the field the student event staff--in their neon yellow shirts--basically said "screw it, my job is done for the day" and joined in the craziness.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.