WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Rofrog on March 11, 2018, 11:07:11 PM
Dave deposits have to be made by May.So I think a coach has a great idea who is committed to the school.

Oh I know that... but my point is, there are plenty of examples of players who end up either not showing up after their deposit is put down, change their minds after they get to campus, don't pan out once practices start (or before, just ask the Mary Washington women what that is all about), or don't play - heck... even injuries play a roll.

Many ask why I don't get excited about recruiting in DIII... all of those reasons have factored into many recruits not actually playing for teams everyone expected them. I don't get serious about players until I see them playing in games.

So I was giving a hard time, tongue and cheek wise, because of how much in DIII is unknown in this department.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEPAFAN

Are any issues you raise unique to d3?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on March 12, 2018, 09:08:31 AM
Are any issues you raise unique to d3?

Yes... all unique to D3. In D2 and D1 student-athletes who are getting scholarships sign contracts. There is a lot more going on before that student even steps on campus. And coaches know full well who is coming and who will have a jersey.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEPAFAN

Yet they can still decommit, or decided not to show up in September. Point is there is uncertainty at ever level, the ability to talk about recruits is what keeps posters like us to remain engaged through the summer.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on March 12, 2018, 01:44:02 PM
Yet they can still decommit, or decided not to show up in September. Point is there is uncertainty at ever level, the ability to talk about recruits is what keeps posters like us to remain engaged through the summer.

I just feel that when a recruit commits at the higher levels, there is FAR more certainty they are coming and playing... based basically on the paperwork they have to sign (rightly or wrongly). I think in DIII it can be a total crap shoot.

Rofrog

Dave I have to disagree with the total crap shoot theory.These kids go to.the school first and for emost for academic as in d1 they gp for the scholarships and to make money.This is why I love d3 because these kids go for there education first   athletics last.I truly believe these coaches know who is coming to school they start re rioting as a junior and so on.

Rofrog

Also I can tell you every year,It gets out there you see them at the games that they are the next one to come to the U.Thst is why I don't understand why hold on to November that was my point.Nepafan,Saratoga,ronk and I share little notes behind close doors because we know who is coming(Sometimes)One thing I have to say about Danzing he always mentions his recruits way before the season starts)!So it's not the part about if they show up its about putting it out there so your fan base can start getting excited for that purpose.

Rofrog

sorry it is suppose to say recruit not re rioting

NEPAFAN

rofrog you can edit your posts , there should be a modify button..

And glad we agree on the recruits. ;)
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Gentleman,

No recruits are secure until Ronk submits his paperwork to four NESCAC schools and one Landmark.

Article IV, Section II of the NCAA Division III bylaws clearly states:

Only upon actual written receipt of said scouting report from Ronk will aforementioned schools (Amherst, Williams, Tufts, Middlebury, Scranton and on occasion, CNU) be allowed to release the names of incoming student athletes.

Therefore, any delay in hearing about recruits/transfers appears to be less on the respective coaches and a little more on the Ronkster filing his AAU reports a little sooner. ;)

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on March 13, 2018, 10:13:40 AM
Gentleman,

No recruits are secure until Ronk submits his paperwork to four NESCAC schools and one Landmark.

Article IV, Section II of the NCAA Division III bylaws clearly states:

Only upon actual written receipt of said scouting report from Ronk will aforementioned schools (Amherst, Williams, Tufts, Middlebury, Scranton and on occasion, CNU) be allowed to release the names of incoming student athletes.

Therefore, any delay in hearing about recruits/transfers appears to be less on the respective coaches and a little more on the Ronkster filing his AAU reports a little sooner. ;)

At the moment, I have Tufts(2), CNU(2), Catholic(2), Muhlenberg(1), Wesleyan(1), Trinity-CT & TX(1 each), Carnegie-Mellon(1), Lynchburg(1), MIT(1) and Scranton,Amherst,Williams,Middlebury(0) of the ones who have verballed to D3 schools. The MIT and Carnegie-Mellon choices were my highest ranked prospects of these. Still a few undeclareds remaining, but hopefully, Trevor has more on his own list.

BTW, I had 2(Kerrigan,Sire) of the regional POYs announced today on my past lists; missed out on Bridgette because she didn't play much AAU.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Rofrog on March 13, 2018, 12:08:06 AM
Dave I have to disagree with the total crap shoot theory.These kids go to.the school first and for emost for academic as in d1 they gp for the scholarships and to make money.This is why I love d3 because these kids go for there education first   athletics last.I truly believe these coaches know who is coming to school they start re rioting as a junior and so on.

I am fully aware of the decisions students make to come to DIII. I have been in and around DIII since the mid-90s. I am a former DIII student-athlete. Proud of that. But that is also why I can say from personal experience it can be a crap shoot. I have had incredible talented teammates decide not to play anymore. Recruits were swear were going to play decide to stick to academics (and I was a fall sport, so that is a quick decision). Of course transfers because the school didn't fit what they wanted - nothing to do with academics (heck, some of that Scranton has experienced lately).

And yes, coaches get a sense of who is coming... but I know from a story of a friend of mine who's daughter was being recruiting by one of the top CCIW teams to come play for them. That coach was pretty sure the decision was their's. When the player chose her school, it was a more local one without the same prowess of a program. The CCIW coach was a bit surprised. They may know who they have coming starting with recruiting in mid-Junior year, but that doesn't mean things don't change even at the last minute. I have heard the stories, seen them play out, there is a comment on another board of a player committed to Loras who has now decommitted and looking at DII.

It is what it is and I just don't buy that much stock in the pre-season excitement.

saratoga

Somewhat of a head scratcher with the Mid-Atlantic pick for Women's Coach of the Year.

Fully agree that Juniata had a very nice season, received an at large bid to the tournament & even won a game.

However, the Scranton coaching staff with the loss of not one but two All-Americans, picked third by the other coaches in the Landmark turns around and not only wins the regular season but then wins the Landmark tournament, hosts the first round (wins both games) and then is picked as the host site for the Sectionals, advances to the Sweet 16 for the second straight year (the Elite 8) the previous season and gives Bowdoin one of its toughest games all season & by the way...ends up 28-2 & somehow Juniata's 23-6 record creates a more worthy coaching staff??

I would argue the body of work between the two teams certainly suggests otherwise.

Having a really nice season is one thing, having a truly fantastic eye-opening one is quite another.

Not saying this was a bad call by the other Landmark coaches, but it most certainly is the wrong call.

Pat Coleman

Juniata was 10-15 last year, and 2-12 in the Landmark. Improved by 13 wins. That was the case for Danny Young-Uhrich.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Rofrog

Talking about recruiting watching Syracuse tonight heard Boeheim speak of his daughter and playing the states.Well checked it out she will be going to U of R nice article.