Covid Impacts on Fall 2020 athletics

Started by PlaySimple, May 20, 2020, 04:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlaySimple

I posted the following on another forum. It is about a D2 school but it is worth posting here.

The New York Institute of Technology has announced that it is suspending athletics for at least two years. The press release specifically states "Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the costs associated with it, New York Institute of Technology will suspend all of its NCAA Division II athletics programs for at least two years." It is also stated "all athletic scholarships will be honored for New York Tech students so that they can continue with their academic programs and graduate on schedule. Currently, close to 250 student-athletes are enrolled at New York Tech."

There is more here:

https://nyitbears.com/news/2020/8/20/general-new-york-tech-to-suspend-its-ncaa-programs.aspx

I certainly hope that this is not a developing trend but many schools are going to take a long and hard look at the role of athletics and how it relates the educational experience. I have previously stated that participation in athletics or, at the very least, club sports or intramurals, is important to the complete development of an individual. That said, some schools may very well decide that athletics are best served in a club atmosphere at the school or elsewhere. Perhaps akin to what is primarily done in Europe. I am not sure that this will be the case in the near immediate future but it is entirely conceivable that many schools and universities will head that way in the future.

Gray Fox

Quote from: PlaySimple on September 01, 2020, 12:59:42 PM
I posted the following on another forum. It is about a D2 school but it is worth posting here.

The New York Institute of Technology has announced that it is suspending athletics for at least two years. The press release specifically states "Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the costs associated with it, New York Institute of Technology will suspend all of its NCAA Division II athletics programs for at least two years." It is also stated "all athletic scholarships will be honored for New York Tech students so that they can continue with their academic programs and graduate on schedule. Currently, close to 250 student-athletes are enrolled at New York Tech."

There is more here:

https://nyitbears.com/news/2020/8/20/general-new-york-tech-to-suspend-its-ncaa-programs.aspx

I certainly hope that this is not a developing trend but many schools are going to take a long and hard look at the role of athletics and how it relates the educational experience. I have previously stated that participation in athletics or, at the very least, club sports or intramurals, is important to the complete development of an individual. That said, some schools may very well decide that athletics are best served in a club atmosphere at the school or elsewhere. Perhaps akin to what is primarily done in Europe. I am not sure that this will be the case in the near immediate future but it is entirely conceivable that many schools and universities will head that way in the future.
CalTech is not very competitive in most sports, but they officially believe in the benefit of sports participation (teamwork and perseverance under adversity). 
Fierce When Roused

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

CalTech is improving. They have taken some pages from the MIT model and have made headway.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 23, 2020, 03:14:48 PM
CalTech is improving. They have taken some pages from the MIT model and have made headway.
That is true.

PHYSICAL EDUCATION

It is the goal of the Physical Education program to enhance the physical, motor, mental and social development of all participating students. It is the objective of our Department to introduce students to a broad based program of instruction in physical education activities from which they will derive lifetime fitness benefits.

Courses offered include: badminton, basketball, bouldering, core training, cycling, dance, diving, fencing, golf, hiking, karate, lawn games, wellness, power walking, racquetball, rock climbing, rollerblading, running, soccer, squash, speed and agility training, swimming, table tennis, T'ai-Chi Ch'uan, tennis, triathlon, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, water polo, weightlifting and yoga.

Curriculum Course Requirements:

· Before graduation, each undergraduate is required to successfully complete nine units of physical education. This requirement may be satisfied entirely or in part by participation in intercollegiate athletics, or successful completion of physical-education coursework.

· All grades are issued pass/fail.

· A maximum of six units per term may be applied toward graduation requirements with the total not to exceed 36 units. Participation as a bona fide member of an intercollegiate team for the period covered by the sport in a given term satisfies the requirement for that term.

"Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation General Department Mission Statement

The mission of the Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation is to develop the physical, social, and emotional skills of Caltech students necessary for the cultivation of a sound mind in a sound body. The Department seeks to encourage participation in a balanced program of individual and group activities through a variety of intercollegiate, physical education, club, intramural, and informal recreation activities intended to meet the needs of all members of the community.

Our department values first and foremost a healthy, excellent and balanced education for each student in our programs.  Further we strive to educate the entire Caltech community toward excellent personal health and a balanced life approach through diverse programming.

Intercollegiate Athletics Philosophy Statement

As an enhancement to, and extension of, the complete education of a Caltech student, the intercollegiate athletics program instills leadership, promotes perseverance, and teaches resilience in each student-athlete within the spirit and letter of all rules of the game and with utmost respect for competition and opponents. With support and collaboration from their coaches, student-athletes strive for personal and collective excellence and contribute to the positive community spirit of the Institute. Student-athletes are representative of the entire Caltech student body and, as such, are fully integrated into the comprehensive educational, social, and residential experience.

As a proud NCAA DIII member of the SCIAC, Caltech contributes to the principles of amateurism, fair play, sportsmanship, and ethical and equitable treatment of all student-athletes, while maintaining the health and well being of individuals as a top priority in the operation of 20 teams. Intercollegiate athletics provide opportunities for student-athletes to learn life lessons that translate into persons' overall development as thoughtful citizens, scholars and leaders.  The intercollegiate athletic program contributes to the mission of the Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation which is committed to the philosophy that a sound mind resides in a sound body."
Fierce When Roused

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Their efforts to improve in athletics actually revealed a flaw in their curriculum where students had a certain amount of time where they could just float around taking different classes to see what they want to take. It left student-athletes not formally registered for classes for a period of time making them ineligible (even though they were playing games). The AD discovered the problem, reported it to the NCAA as a violation, and worked with CalTech to solve the issue moving forward.

They do want to have athletics be successful and such. I love see it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gray Fox

I think at one time the actual professors were making admissions decisions based strictly on academics.
They changed that to the admissions office having more of a say.
Fierce When Roused

PlaySimple

I also posted this on the men's forum -

It's not D3 but Michigan announced on Saturday that there is a pause of all athletic activity for up to 14 days. This is due to some involved in UofM athletics testing positive for a variant strain of covid that is more virulent.

From the UofM press release:

"The mandate follows positive test results for the SAR-CoV-2 B.1.1.7 variant virus infections from several individuals linked to the U-M Athletic Department through its diligent testing regiment. The B.1.1.7 variant is thought to be approximately 50 percent more transmissible than the standard form of the virus, leading to faster spread of the virus, potentially increased numbers of cases, and additional hospitalizations and deaths."

There have been struggles to holding winter sports at D3 schools around the country. Basketball games are being postponed or canceled, I've heard of some track meets being canceled, etc. Some schools, colleges, and high schools, have tried to combat the situation for track meets by holding events that might be jumping only, throws only, sprints only, distance events only, etc. That's easier to do with a sport like track but it can't work for basketball or most team sports. This all does not bode well for a spring season. I hope that I'm wrong but it's going to be tough.

Here is the UofM press release: https://mgoblue.com/news/2021/1/23/general-university-of-michigan-athletics-enters-department-wide-activity-pause.aspx