MBB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by awadelewis, October 14, 2012, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: tarheelfan on March 01, 2019, 04:14:23 PM
Very rough first season...

Quote from: rlk on August 10, 2018, 06:44:39 PM
I see Tyler Papadinis has taken the head coaching position at Rhodes College.  He's done a great job as associate head coach at MIT, and I think you're going to be very happy with him at the helm.  Very sharp and a great person all around.

What exactly did you expect? It was the first season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

tarheelfan

Much closer to .500.  They only graduated one contributor off the 2017-18 team that was 13-13, 7-7 in SAA play

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 02, 2019, 12:59:47 AM

I see Tyler Papadinis has taken the head coaching position at Rhodes College.  He's done a great job as associate head coach at MIT, and I think you're going to be very happy with him at the helm.  Very sharp and a great person all around.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: tarheelfan on March 02, 2019, 01:27:28 PM
Much closer to .500.  They only graduated one contributor off the 2017-18 team that was 13-13, 7-7 in SAA play

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 02, 2019, 12:59:47 AM

They also completely, 100% changes styles.  Tough to re-learn everything on the fly.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

pbrooks3

Didn't get to follow it tonight but Centre got a huge road win @ Wabash tallying a late Jacob Bates basket for a 77-76 victory.  Though this was Wabash's opening game, they came in ranked 14th in the preseason D3 poll.  Perry Ayers led the Centre effort with 19 points followed by Bates' 15 and 14 from Dawson Crump.  The Colonels are now 2-1 having played a much tougher early season schedule in 2019 than in recent years.  No rest for the weary as Centre takes on in-state rival Transylvania next week in Lexington. 
🏀🏀🏀

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: pbrooks3 on November 14, 2019, 10:57:51 PM
Didn't get to follow it tonight but Centre got a huge road win @ Wabash tallying a late Jacob Bates basket for a 77-76 victory.  Though this was Wabash's opening game, they came in ranked 14th in the preseason D3 poll.  Perry Ayers led the Centre effort with 19 points followed by Bates' 15 and 14 from Dawson Crump.  The Colonels are now 2-1 having played a much tougher early season schedule in 2019 than in recent years.  No rest for the weary as Centre takes on in-state rival Transylvania next week in Lexington.

I'll come over from the NCAC board and speak to the Centre vs. Wabash game.

I knew coming in that it would be a tough game and one that Wabash could easily lose. Centre is a solid team, however, Wabash played really badly besides a stretch of about 15 minutes in the second half. Centre really gritted it out and stuck together for the win. You could definitely tell that Centre had played two games already and Wabash had played none.

Wabash had 10 more turnovers than Centre and they were 9 of 13 at the line. Jack Davidson (set the NCAA record for most FT makes in a row with 95 last year) had a FT attempt with 15 seconds remaining to put it to a two possession game but missed the front end of a 1-and-1.

Centre made more winning plays than Wabash down the stretch and they came out with a great win.

I'll also say I have never seen more charge calls called in a basketball game in my life. There were 10 charges called amongst both teams.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

pbrooks3

Centre pulled out another win 58-57 @ the end with Jacob Bates knocking down the winner for a 2nd game in a row.  Colonels got the Bates winner with 0.5 seconds left.  Transy made a big comeback in the 2nd half after being down 13 at the half.  The Pioneers held a 5 point lead with slightly over a minute left in the game 57-52.  Thanks to a Bates free throw and an Ayers 3-pointer after a critical Transy turnover, Centre reduced the deficit to 1.  Centre got 1 final defensive stop which set the stage for the Bates heroics on the road again. Colonels leave Lexington 3-1 as the Pioneers suffer their 1st loss; they are now 3-1.
🏀🏀🏀

hasanova

Berry Vikings at #19 Guilford Quakers Saturday, November 23 at 2 pm.  GC took last season's meeting in Georgia.

hasanova

Quote from: hasanova on November 20, 2019, 11:34:19 PM
Berry Vikings at #19 Guilford Quakers Saturday, November 23 at 2 pm.  GC took last season's meeting in Georgia.
Guilford won 73-56.

awadelewis

Conference opener for four teams on Dec 7th as Sewanee pulled away late in the game to beat Centre and Berry overcame a slow start in the first half to beat Ogelthorpe.

Back to OOC games until after the holiday...

pbrooks3

Centre capped a solid road weekend with a 78-71 victory @ Millsaps with Jacob Bates leading the way with 37 points.  This followed a Friday night win against Birmingham-Southern.  Colonels are now 12-2 overall and 2-1 in the SAA. Next weekend Centre finally gets to host games against Berry and Oglethorpe.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Centre upped its record tonight to 13-2 (3-1 in SAA play) with a physical win over Berry 74-67 behind Bailey Rakes’ 18 points and 8 rebounds.  Dawson Crump chipped in 16 with Jacob Bates tallying 15.  Colonels shot it well despite committing 14 turnovers.  Micah Johnson led the Vikings with 20 and Caleb Haynes had 13 as Berry drops to 2-2 in the league.  Colonels lace them up again Sunday afternoon against Oglethorpe. Almost forgot......a big milestone tonight for Centre coach Greg Mason - he notched his 400th career win for the school.  Congrats Coach Mason!
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Centre wrapped up the weekend with an 18-point win over Oglethorpe on Sunday afternoon upping their overall record to 14-2.  Art Walker led the effort with 28 points on the strength of 6-11 from beyond the 3-point arc.  Colonels had 22 assists on 31 converted field goals while shooting 50%.  Centre is now tied with Hendrix atop the SAA at 4-1. 
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Centre notches its 15th win tonight over Hendrix 80-58 taking over sole possession of 1st place in the SAA.  Art Walker led the way with 16 including 3-3 on the long ball.  Freshman Carter Baughman chipped in 15. Colonels will host Rhodes on Sunday afternoon in search of their 6th conference win of the season.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

A good one at Oglethorpe tonight as Millsaps is leading by 2 in double OT with less than a minute to play.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Oglethorpe just nailed a contested 3 from nearly 30 feet to tie the score.  Looks like this one may go another 5 minutes.  Yep. Triple OT with the score tied at 97.
🏀🏀🏀