Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoBo

A couple of different views on the subject (not DIII, but you get the point)...

The Kansas Comet, Gale Sayers, once said:
"Football is a very short-term proposition. Football really prepares you for nothing. The only thing I got out of football was the ability to work hard, and that's it."

On the other hand, a quote by Gen. George Marshall reads, "I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player."  The sign is touched by the Army Black Knights as they enter the field for every home game in Michie Stadium at the United States Military Academy in West Point.

I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

gordonmann

I'm with Hazzben and the others here. I can't add anything more to Hazzben's response, which is excellent.

Ron Boerger

A lot of you just got +1's from this observer. 

frank uible

Football got Gale Sayers at least a short career as a professional football player and a job as AD of Southern Illinois University - and probably more.

Bombers798891

Quote from: frank uible on September 23, 2011, 02:50:42 PM
Football got Gale Sayers at least a short career as a professional football player and a job as AD of Southern Illinois University - and probably more.

And for the fractional few that can be as good as Sayers or work for someone who is willing to hire them despite not spending time in the English Writing Well 212 course, that's a good thing. But I have a feeling the punter for Castleton State may want to hit the books

K-Mack

Quote from: AUPepBand on September 23, 2011, 09:20:31 AM
As for team colors, Pep believes that Alfred was listed as purple and yellow, but, in harmony with the fight song lyrics,"Purple and gold proclaim Alfred's royalty" and, going back to that student body decision in 1874, it's always been "royal purple and gold." And, as far as original and cool nicknames, Pep thinks one can't match the Saxons!

I bought a shirt at Alfred and it's most certainly yellow ... either that or I want my $20-something bucks back.

That's what I meant by some have to pass the eye test. A lot of yellows call themselves gold, and so forth. Don't even get me started again on the reds.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Re: Tom, Bomb and Hazzben,
I mostly got out of Tom's note that you should be putting maximum effort into football, not necessarily at the expense of classwork, but in addition to it.

Techinically that's what he said in the first bolded sentence, but not so much in the last two.

You guys write fine rebuttals; it's definitely true that what Tom wrote about jobs and the advice most players might want to heed aren't one and the same.

I think it's good that there's disagreement and rebuttal. I don't know that there definitely has to be a right answer, but if pushed, I would probably say that while football is a very valid learning experience and networking opportunity, it's a good idea to take school seriously as well. Y'know, just in case. :)

I didn't really realize I was publishing something that goes against most of what we write, and what ATN says D-III stands for. Then again, that's why I like Tom and his advice. It's never the generic what you think it's going to be, and that's good to hear too.

Appreciate the replies on the board here. Maybe I'll point readers toward this this week.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

AUPepBand

Quote from: K-Mack on September 27, 2011, 08:14:48 PM
Quote from: AUPepBand on September 23, 2011, 09:20:31 AM
As for team colors, Pep believes that Alfred was listed as purple and yellow, but, in harmony with the fight song lyrics,"Purple and gold proclaim Alfred's royalty" and, going back to that student body decision in 1874, it's always been "royal purple and gold." And, as far as original and cool nicknames, Pep thinks one can't match the Saxons!

I bought a shirt at Alfred and it's most certainly yellow ... either that or I want my $20-something bucks back.

That's what I meant by some have to pass the eye test. A lot of yellows call themselves gold, and so forth. Don't even get me started again on the reds.

K-Mack: It would have been a safer bet to buy purple....you must have been a victim of that counterfeit tee-shirt operation. Will an XL fit? Pep will be happy to send you an authentic AU Pep Band t-shirt....a white tee with the official seal of the AU Pep Band in purple and gold. (Gold was not an option on the Change Color drop-down).  :o

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

clandfan

Ohio Northern holds MU to 14 points and loses by only 7.  Perhaps that best regular season showing against the giant in many years.  For their efforts, they get dropped from the Top 25.  Mount Union, on the other hand, still gets 4 first place votes.  Programs should be rated on more than won / loss records.  I know, I know...its not how you play the game, its whether you when or lose...I get it!  Not really.

Pat Coleman

If that game were played that way on a clean, dry field, I'd have agreed with you.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

If it makes you feel better, ONU had no business being in the top 25 the week before; don't look at it so much as a one-week referendum on a well-played loss against Mount Union. ONU did do some damage; UMU lost two of its six first-place votes.

Also too, at two losses, a voter can make a case sometimes to still vote for a team. Once you get to a losing record you really can't justify it.

Also AU, it was an official shirt. You can call it gold all you like, but Alfred wears purple and yellow.

This is purple and gold:
http://www.knox.edu/athletics/football.html
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

roocru

Keith, I really enjoyed this week's column.  One of your best in my view!
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

bleedpurple

Great column Keith.  Really interesting stuff and you drive home a really important point for all D3 fans.  Enjoy the journey!  There is much to treasure each week and each game.  With teams playing on small college campuses all over the country, there is too much good stuff happening to worry about whether the Stagg Bowl is all purple or not.  Even as a loyal follower of UW-W, I am concerned about one thing: enjoying October 8th. 

bleedpurple

"Ya Gotta Pull For..."

www.uwwfootball.com

Jerry Bawcom

You are so right; enjoy the journey.  The CRU "road warriors" journey in 2004 was an incredible experience; a lifetime experience for some of the players.  The CRU in the playoffs since has been great fun, except for the game at Linfield a couple of years ago....
I'm going to miss the next two weeks of games and am already having withdrawal!  There's nothing like fall, the smell of grass, the sounds of the band and football to stir up one's excitement!!!  D-III thanks for the memories!!!
True Crusader Fan !!!