MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeks14

Ryan Cain - (28 pts,8-14 FG, 5-7 3FG) on senior night and held Zukowski to only 9 points.....WPI also clinches home court for the Newmac tourney where they are 45-6 over the past 4 years

hugenerd

A general question.  Anyone know why WPI only scheduled 23 games this year?

cheeks14

How many are they supposed to schedule?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Who did they scrimmage this year?  If they had a pre-season exhibition with a d1 school, that counts as one of their 25, even though it doesn't count in the standings.

That's the only possibility I can even think of.  Other than maybe they're trying to keep costs down.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hugenerd

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 16, 2007, 08:53:08 AM

Who did they scrimmage this year?  If they had a pre-season exhibition with a d1 school, that counts as one of their 25, even though it doesn't count in the standings.

That's the only possibility I can even think of.  Other than maybe they're trying to keep costs down.

I know of that rule, but I couldnt find any mention of a d1 exhibition game.

I also noticed that they only played 23 last year in the regular season, too.  I guess the coach is scheduling that way intentionally.

clarkie

Quotei'll admit though, clark sucks this year and phillips is still working the refs like textile workers in lowell to try to get charge calls out of the refs where his players clearly flop like manu ginobli.  some things never change. 

as much as you all might think they suck, they did beat springfield last night...never trailing in the game. normandin had a monster game too including clutch free throws at the end...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The Midwest Conference only allows 23 regular season games as a way to ensure they remain a bastion of academic excellence, as if those extra two games make a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Maybe WPI fancies themselves elite; although that's a bit funny when you're in a conference with MIT.

hugenerd

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 16, 2007, 10:35:13 AM
The Midwest Conference only allows 23 regular season games as a way to ensure they remain a bastion of academic excellence, as if those extra two games make a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Maybe WPI fancies themselves elite; although that's a bit funny when you're in a conference with MIT.

I am sorry if I missed something, what does the Midwest Conference have to do with anything? 

WPI played 24 regular season games 2 years ago (04-05) and MIT (and I think the rest of the NEWMAC) play 25 year in and year out.  In my opinion, they should take those two games and try to schedule some tougher teams so people dont always have to debate whether they are as good as their record.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The MWC only allows 23 games because they think 25 takes too much time away from academics.  I was just offering it as a potential reason why WPI might not schedule the max.

cheeks14

it is very difficult for WPI to find harder teams to play against because they have been playing so well the past few years.  Most teams do not want to schedule them because of the extra potential loss.  I do find it kind of weird that WPI only has 23 games though.  I think they scrimmaged Assumption in the preseason but they are Division 2.  Is there any rule that makes that count as a game or is it only Division 1 games?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think it's only d1 games, but then again I really don't know.

This is the last year for that rule anyway, next year d1 exhibitions will not count against the 25 so long as they are played within the pre-season period.  (They will count as one of two allowed exhibitions, though).

hugenerd

I was at the MIT-Clark game today.  Clark's game plan was pretty evident from the start, get the ball out of Jimmy Bartolotta's hands, every time he caught the ball they would run an extra man at him, sometimes two.  MIT led for most of the second half but just doesnt have enough players, 195 of the 200 minutes in the game were played by 5 players (one player played 4 minutes and 1 played 1 minute).  Down the stretch, you could tell some of the MIT guys were tired and they started to turn the ball over (they were -10 on turnovers)

Bartolotta was more than impressive, I cant remember a basket MIT made in the second half that he did not score himself or set up.  He ended the game with 32 points (9-12 FG, 14-14 FT), 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 6 steals, and 1 block.

I know he is on a "bad" team, but no one can convince me that he is not the best player in the NEWMAC.  He is now averaging 21.0 points, 8.4 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.84 steals, 1.08 blocks, and is shooting 48.0% from the field, 39.0% from 3 and 88.2% from the line (in 36.5 minutes).  Compare his stats to anyone else's in the league and there is no contest.  There is no player that has those kind of stats across the board.  Some players may compete with him in a category or two, but no one is as good as him on both sides of the ball.

clarkie

so Bartolotta is smart AND can play basketball...lets give him some credit for that to...for being a true SCHOLAR ATHLETE...

anything to screw ryan cain over too. bartolotta seems like a nice kid...that should could for something.

cheeks14

anything to screw Ryan Cain over?? whats that supposed to mean?? you obviously don't know what you are talking about if you think Ryan Cain isn't a nice kid......also "should could" doesn't make sense......Ryan Cain has won scholar athlete awards before also so you need to get your information correct