Author Topic: World Cup and European leagues  (Read 361386 times)

Offline rudy

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup and European leagues
« Reply #2985 on: April 11, 2018, 06:29:36 pm »
Wow. Thoughts on the late penalty that sent Real Madrid through? I think it could be a penalty, but at 90+7 I'm not deciding the game as a referee on that foul...

I think it was a foul. Have to call it..would most likely have been a goal if defender didn't take him down. Tough break with so little time remaining but you're playing with fire trying to defend in your box. Clear the ball out and don't make the ref have to make that decision

Offline jknezek

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 11, 2018, 06:33:41 pm »
He didn't take him down. He did press from the back and it was a dangerous kick, but after 180+ of tie game? Don't make it about the referee in my opinion. I guarantee a foul was missed at least that bad in the other box over those 180. It always is. Just look for a corner. That's why I think it was the wrong moment to make that call.

Offline blooter442

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:24 pm »
He didn't take him down. He did press from the back and it was a dangerous kick, but after 180+ of tie game? Don't make it about the referee in my opinion. I guarantee a foul was missed at least that bad in the other box over those 180. It always is. Just look for a corner. That's why I think it was the wrong moment to make that call.

The high boot and lack of contact with the ball seemed more of a pen to me than the contact from the back, but I can see why it was given. I do think it was a shame it happened at the time it did. Also worth pointing out that Real got hosed on the Isco offsides decision — and I say this as someone who doesn’t particularly care for Real or Ronaldo and his cockiness. If that goal stands maybe Juve doesn’t get a second. Who knows?

That being said, while Real will be the bookies’ favorites to win it all now, they are clearly not infallible on this evidence, nor were they last year IMHO when Ronado’s two offsides goals got them by Bayern in ET. An absolute clanger by Navas, and I’ll spare a thought for David De Gea — much as I dislike him saving United time and again, he could have won two (and maybe three if Real win this spring) CL titles if his transfer went through! Poor guy. I’m thinking Real come back in for him this summer, Navas is OK but not near De Gea’s level of consistency or talent.
Giant tropical centipedes share their territories with tarantulas.