MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Rochester chased down St. John Fisher after trailing by 11 at the half to win in overtime, 86-82.

Jacob Witting knocked down two free-throws with 0:04 seconds left and the Yellowjackets subsequently fouled Fisher prior to the inbound pass, trailing 73-72.  Fisher made the first of two free-throws, but missed the second.

Andrew Lundstrom rebounded the ball before passing it down court to a streaking Yellowjacket (could not tell from the livestream) for an easy lay-in.  Rochester got the best of Fisher in overtime.

Rochester should take note as Fisher runs commercials throughout their otherwise free broadcast.

WUPHF

Also, Washington University defeated Principia by a bunch.  Brandeis did mostly the same against Becker.

WUPHF

OK, I guess I have to say something about the Washington University-Principia game.

Arenas had only attempted 4 field goals in the last 4 games.  Platteville was ready for him to pass every time he got the ball in the paint.  He needs to be an offensive threat.  Only 3-9 last night, but keep shooting.

Hardy has had a highlight reel pass in every game and had more last night en route to 10 assists.  Hardy is ranked third in the league in assists and is only getting started.

uaaaficionado

Quote from: WUPHF on December 07, 2018, 11:31:19 AM
OK, I guess I have to say something about the Washington University-Principia game.

Arenas had only attempted 4 field goals in the last 4 games.  Platteville was ready for him to pass every time he got the ball in the paint.  He needs to be an offensive threat.  Only 3-9 last night, but keep shooting.

Hardy has had a highlight reel pass in every game and had more last night en route to 10 assists.  Hardy is ranked third in the league in assists and is only getting started.

Haven't gotten a chance to watch much of Hardy yet. Right now he's averaging 15.3ppg, 4.6rpg, and 3.6apg as a freshman - this kid must be the real deal! Did he have any Division I interest coming out of high school?

Comparing and contrasting in my head a little bit to some other UAA guys that had some success as freshman over the years..

2017-18
Romin Williams (Emory) - 15.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.6 apg
Jack Nolan (WashU) - 11.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.2 apg

2016-17
Jimmy Martinelli (NYU) - 8.9 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.5 apg

2014-15
Ross Udine (NYU) - 9.2 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 5.5 apg

2012-13
Jordan Smith (Chicago) - 7.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.7 apg

2010-11
Jake Davis (Emory) - 13.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.9 apg

2009-10 (really jumping in the time machine here..)
John DiBartolomeo - 11.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, and 4.6 apg

Speaking purely from a statistics perspective Hardy is on pace to have one of the best rookie season's in recent memory. However, we all know - the season is long.

WUPHF

Hardy did have at least one Division I offer according to the reportage, but had considered a handful of Division II offers.

Matt Schner is no longer eligible for ROY honors, but in his first season on the floor, he is averaging 30 minutes, 11 points (50% from the field) and 7 rebounds per game.

WUPHF

Brandeis falls to Wesleyan, 78-67 in a game that was much closer than the score. The Judges led for a minute or so with under 10 minutes to play.

WUPHF

Chicago loses on the road to Albion in overtime, 75-69. One notable stat: 7-31 from three point range.

WUPHF

Rochester is 9-0 after two good wins over the weekend and are coming in at No. 13 on in the rankings. 

It is probably time to talk about the Yellowjackets.

I have not paid as much attention to Rochester as I have in previous seasons and I made that obvious last week when I criticized their schedule and suggested a few examples of teams they should schedule and included a team that they already played this season.  Proof positive that no one should take me too seriously.

The Yellowjackets were ORV in the preseason and picked to finished second in the league by the coaches and two or three posters.  They are currently No. 24 in the Matt Snyder efficiency ratings and No. 15 in the Massey Ratings to go along with the No. 13 ranking.

I have not watched much of Rochester because they were the most known of all the UAA schools, returning their first team and second team all-UAA guards in Clamage and Wittig and nearly everyone else.  They have three other senior guards including Mangan and reserves Gamble and O'Shea. 

Rochester lost two forwards who combined for 35 minutes, 12.2 points, 8.3 rebounds per game last season, but returned a Lundstrom and Benka, both upperclassmen who played 18 and 20 minutes respectively along with a sophomore in Algier who has worked his way in to the rotation this season.

They generally pass the eye test and have closed out a few close games...

I have a few concerns as the head in to league play...

In terms of personnel, they are mostly the same team that went 16-9 last season and went 0-6 against Emory, Chicago and Washington University.  They only have two players averaging more than 10 points, but others have stepped up throughout the season.  As compared to the league, they rank No. 5 in rebounds and turnovers and 7th in three point field goal percentage.

Despite my concerns about the relatively weak non-conference schedule, I want to buy Rochester, but I do not see them finishing better than 1-1 against the other top three.  They get Emory at home to start the season which bodes well if they can start off with a win.

Who knows?  Is Rochester the 13th best team in the nation?

Caz Bombers

after getting clobbered by a 3-3 Ithaca team, gonna go with "no" to the above query.

WUPHF

+1 Massey had given Rochester an 87% chance for the win of Ithaca College, but instead they fall 85-70.  The Bombers shot better from three point range (14-30) and better over all en route to the win.

Brandeis had the game of the night with a almost-buzzer beater to defeat Emerson, 75-72.  Emerson tied the game with a three pointer with 20 or so seconds left.  Brandeis responded with a Corey Sherman three leaving less than a second on the clock.  Brandeis is 7-2.

NYU defeats Hunter, 89-76.  Two key players are not listed in the box score.  Not sure the status, but the Violets are going to struggle in the league without those players on the floor.

Emory gets the 92-83 win over Berry.

Washington University defeats Fontbonne, 83-54.
The offense looked so much better tonight than it did a month ago.  Ball movement!

WUPHF

The UAA is 51-24 with one game to go before the Christmas holiday and twelve games to go before league play begins.

Here are a few random thoughts...

Carnegie Mellon, Case Western and Chicago went 4-0 over quality opponents with Case Western Reserve scheduled to play 8-2 Plattsburgh State tonight.  The computers are giving the Spartans a 21% and 33% respectively.

Five teams have won 70% or more of their games this season and only two teams hold a losing record.

Rochester is the only team in the Top 25, but I do expect them to fall out after the first or second weekend of league play.  There is no way they beat Emory.  Emory should play themselves back in by the way.  That is my prediction and I am sticking to it.

Massey prefers Chicago over everyone else at No. 35 followed by Rochester (No. 38), Washington University (No. 54), Emory (No. 58), Brandeis (No. 95), Case Western Reserve (No. 121), Carnegie Mellon (No. 198), and NYU (No. 282).

WUPHF

Case Western Reserve falls to Plattsburgh State, 88-69.  The Spartans had a nice run early in the second after trailing by as many as 20 in the first half before eventually going on a few nice runs early in the second.

ADL70

Quote from: WUPHF on December 20, 2018, 04:09:34 PM
Case Western Reserve falls to Plattsburgh State, 88-69.  The Spartans had a nice run early in the second after trailing by as many as 20 in the first half before eventually going on a few nice runs early in the second.

Plattsburgh currently ranked #13 in d3hoops Top 25.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

WUPHF

Merry Christmas to #d3hoops fans in general and UAA fans in particular. Not to mention the players, coaches and families.

WUPHF

Just looking ahead to the non-conference games left...as well as the first two weekends of UAA play.

Brandeis hosts Bowdoin on Sunday.  Then Brandeis hosts NYU before traveling to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. 

Carnegie Mellon plays at Division I Akron and hosts Marymont next Wednesday.  Then hosts Carnegie Mellon, Brandeis and NYU.

Case Western Reserve hosts Oberlin next week Thursday.  Then travels to Pittsburgh before hosting NYU and Brandeis.  Massey gives Case a 47%, 85% and 55% chance of winning those league games.

Chicago hosts Millikin on Sunday, then hosts Washington University, Rochester and Emory.  Massey gives Chicago a 64%, 68% and 73% chance at winning those league games.

Emory hosts 9-0 and Massey No. 34 ranked Oswego State and East Texas Baptist over the weekend. Then Emory travels to Rochester before heading to Chicago and St. Louis.

NYU travels to West Connecticut on Sunday and Pitt-Bradford on Wednesday.  NYU then travels to Brandeis, Case Western Reserve and Carnegie Mellon.

Rochester plays at Catholic next Wednesday. Then Rochester hosts Emory before traveling to St. Louis and Chicago.  Massey gives Rochester a 66%, 32% and 38% chance of winning those league games.

Washington University plays at 10-1 and No. 3 ranked Augustana on Saturday and at Westminster on Monday.  Then Washington University travels to Chicago before hosting Emory and Rochester.