MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

I understand your way of thinking.

As to the part about the building being multipurpose (including faculty dorm-apartments, which is exceedingly rare), I figured that was common knowledge.  I mention that only because it has likely slowed down the process.

WUPHF

Unfortunately, the allegations against Coach Meehan are getting worse according to the latest from Deadspin: https://deadspin.com/it-took-five-years-of-complaints-about-racism-for-brand-1825112459

Gregory Sager

It's hard to believe that someone could get away with using the anti-Semitic slur "Jew Boy" at Brandeis, of all places.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

Regarding the Wash U coaching situation... the longer the search process goes on, the more nervous current assistant and supposed candidate Caleb Lawson must be getting..

My opinion... and nothing against Caleb Lawson... I wonder if a top D3 program like Wash U is ready to hire a relatively young guy with NO head coaching experience... As much credit as A guy like Caleb gets for all the behind the scenes contributions he has made to Wash U's program, he has never been faced with taking direct responsibility for winning and losing games.. it's a whole different job... I would think a head coaching job anywhere else would serve Caleb Lawson's career very well... Which brings to mind Tim Whittle, who was the primary assistant at Wash U when they won two NCAA championships... He went on to take the unenviable task of coaching Macalester, and recently resigned that position with a dismal W/L record... yet, could the decision makers feel the head coaching experience there coupled with his success at Wash U might make him a candidate to consider?  (Granted, I don't have any knowledge that he even applied)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Mr. Mo

Point taken, but I am still pulling for him.  He has clearly showed that he can recruit and game plan.  He is well versed in WashU's unique culture.

I would like to see him to get the chance to prove himself as a head coach.

Mr. Mo

WashU's last head coach didn't have any head coaching experience when he was hired either.

He seemed to work out okay.

Pat Coleman

True, although the Wash U program has changed just a bit since then.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Mo

If Newton's first law applies to basketball, it should be easier then.   :)

WUPHF

That is the challenge of hiring an assistant over a head coach.

The Washington University job went from being a job at an institution did not want varsity athletics to being one of the best jobs in college basketball (outside of Division I) with salary being a big part of that equation.

WUPHF

I have one more post about next season ready to go and in that post I made a point about the league becoming a more guard oriented league next season.  That is generally still true, but NYU did pick up a 6-9 forward out of California: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/cade-hoppe/kN_Ku8OAEeS-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

Mr. Mo

Whomever gets the WashU job will be getting a talented young team.  Even though only Nolan and Reinmiller started games last year, a number of the returners played quality minutes.

I am looking forward to seeing what can become of this rising junior class.

AndOne

WASH U RECRUIT

Kam Mack of Jacobs HS in Algonquin, IL Has committed to Wash U.
Mack, a SG in HS, probably projects as a wing or true SF in college. He is 6'6" and weights in at 180.
He had narrowed his choices to WU, Augustana, and IL Wesleyan.
12.1 PPG
4.4 RPG
44.8 FG%
31.4 3 PT%

WUPHF

USee

Sounds like NYU has made their choice....announcement coming shortly

WUPHF

Thanks...I kinda figured that after seeing the latest commitment.