BB: Regionals (Mideast) 2012 Marietta

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

The 2012 Regional will be held at Don Schaly Field, Marietta OH.

EttaFan1

The things I'm anxious to see about this regional: 

1. How many teams? 6 or 8. If you go unbeaten you play and win 4 games. The losers bracket changes though.
2. Do any Mideast region teams earn a pool c bod and do they stay in region?  Mount union should be in, do any other teams make it in and do hey get shipped out?
3. Who gets shipped in? An amcc school probably. Shenendoah? Rowan? Montclair state? Some other surprise?
4. Can Marietta repeat?

woosterbooster

From what I've seen in the handbook, there are going to be four six-team regionals and four eight-team regionals, adding up to the 56 teams in the field.

Can anyone tell me if there is the possibility of any of the six-team regionals not starting until Thursday rather than on Wednesday?  I'm particularly wondering about the Mideast Regional at Marietta.

OshDude

Quote from: Wooster Booster on May 09, 2012, 10:38:12 PM
From what I've seen in the handbook, there are going to be four six-team regionals and four eight-team regionals, adding up to the 56 teams in the field.

Can anyone tell me if there is the possibility of any of the six-team regionals not starting until Thursday rather than on Wednesday?  I'm particularly wondering about the Mideast Regional at Marietta.
That same Handbook says regionals will start Wednesday.
All first-round games shall begin Wednesday, May 16, and will be conducted over a four- or five-day period as outlined below.

sjfcards

Anyone at the game today have a report for a Fisher fan watching from afar? 
GO FISHER!!!

mideastfan2

Marietta took care of business in their regional opener.  They defeated #8 La Roche 12-3 behind Blaski's 11 k's in 7 IP effort.  UnGerbuehler had the hot bat, as he collected 4 hits and 6 RBI, including a huge 3-run HR.  Saunders Added 3 hits as well.

The Etta Express will play St. John Fisher tomorrow in a winner's bracket game at 4:30pm.

EttaFan1

Not in game, but here were my observations...

D'Amato is a quality pitcher.  Little guy, but has nasy stuff.  he really kept Westminster at bay.  The homerun was a laser beam.

The big story, In my mind, was their offense today.  They "nickel dimed" Westminster's starter with bunts, well placed infield hits, and were the beneficiaries of really bad Westminster defense.  And then they ran.  and ran.  and bunted for hits.  and ran.  and bunted for another hit.  Westminster's catcher couldn't have thown me out.

They lived up to the guady numbers on their stat sheet.  Tomorrow will HOPEFULLY be a much different test for them.  Hopefully Marietta gets a good outing from Gasser, and the defense will be much improved over what Westminster showed today.  Marietta's cacher is one of the best defensive catchers in d3.  They will test Mr. Toth, but they won't run wild either. 

St. John Fisher is a good baseball team.  I was impressed.

sjfcards

Quote from: EttaFan1 on May 16, 2012, 03:47:13 PM

D'Amato is a quality pitcher.  Little guy, but has nasy stuff.  he really kept Westminster at bay.  The homerun was a laser beam.

The big story, In my mind, was their offense today.  They "nickel dimed" Westminster's starter with bunts, well placed infield hits, and were the beneficiaries of really bad Westminster defense.  And then they ran.  and ran.  and bunted for hits.  and ran.  and bunted for another hit.  Westminster's catcher couldn't have thown me out.

They lived up to the guady numbers on their stat sheet.  Tomorrow will HOPEFULLY be a much different test for them.  Hopefully Marietta gets a good outing from Gasser, and the defense will be much improved over what Westminster showed today.  Marietta's cacher is one of the best defensive catchers in d3.  They will test Mr. Toth, but they won't run wild either. 

Thanks EttaFan1. I have to admit other than where they are ranked, etc I don't know much about Marietta. I am sure they are all I have heard they are, and I am interested to see how Fisher matches up tomorrow. Beaumont is a good starter and Fisher will need a big outing out of him. I love the Fisher lineup, but don't know if it is enough.
GO FISHER!!!

Dr. Acula

Adrian gives up 4 in the top of the 1st and then shuts down Wooster for an 8-4 win.

Manchester beats up on W&J 13-3 in the last game.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: sjfcards on May 16, 2012, 07:32:29 PM

Thanks EttaFan1. I have to admit other than where they are ranked, etc I don't know much about Marietta. I am sure they are all I have heard they are, and I am interested to see how Fisher matches up tomorrow. Beaumont is a good starter and Fisher will need a big outing out of him. I love the Fisher lineup, but don't know if it is enough.

I'm interested to see how Gasser looks tomorrow for Etta.  Obviously it's no secret he can be nearly unbeatable as all of 2011 proved.  But it seems like he's been human in 2012.  Well, if you consider 9-2 human I guess.  When I saw him last year he had great command of all of his pitches.  Very polished, very poised.  Just the complete package.  It seems like the Etta fans on here have mentioned some inconsistency with his control this year (correct me if I'm remembering wrong guys).  If his control is on I don't know if SJF is going to fair well.  If not?  Anything can happen.  Should be interesting!

sjfcards

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 16, 2012, 11:39:55 PM
Quote from: sjfcards on May 16, 2012, 07:32:29 PM

I'm interested to see how Gasser looks tomorrow for Etta.  Obviously it's no secret he can be nearly unbeatable as all of 2011 proved.  But it seems like he's been human in 2012.  Well, if you consider 9-2 human I guess.  When I saw him last year he had great command of all of his pitches.  Very polished, very poised.  Just the complete package.  It seems like the Etta fans on here have mentioned some inconsistency with his control this year (correct me if I'm remembering wrong guys).  If his control is on I don't know if SJF is going to fair well.  If not?  Anything can happen.  Should be interesting!

Pitchers have been able to shut down the Fisher offense at points this year. Fisher seems to hit in bunches so it may be a sink or swim thing for whoever pitches against them. Marietta seems to be the real deal, so we shall see. Whichever way it goes the winner of today's games in the winners bracket really do themselves a big favor. If Fisher loses today it may be tough without their top 2 guys available to pitch. Johnson is a good pitcher, but he is not D'Amato or Beaumont.
GO FISHER!!!

EttaFan1

Gasser has had control problems at times this year (@ Wilmington where he hit a guy and walked four in one inning before getting the hook as an example.)  His best outing of the year was last week in the OAC tournament.  He was sharp. 

He has to stay in the zone and let his defense work behind him.  I'm hoping he is strong today and gives Marietta chance to be in it. 

After yesterday's games, I was very disappointed in the lack of defense by many of the teams in the regional.  It wasn't just errors (there were plenty of those too), but there seems to be a lack of defensive speed by many teams in the field.  perhaps I'm spoiled by how solid Marietta has been on defense this year, but there were some times when I was scratching my head.

So far through four games....

Biggest Surprise: (tie) St. John Fisher and how good they appear to be.  W&J and how bad they pitched and played defense yesterday.

How hot is "hot"?:  If you are Manchester it is super nova hot.  They were the 4 seed in the HCAC conference tournament.  They POUNDED the #2 seed yesterday.  Just hit it all over the place.  If you are Josh Ungerbuehler, it is also super nova.  The little used backup catcher went 4-5, 6 RBI including a 3r HR.  he doubled his RBI total. 

Not so much:  Westminster is a pretty bad looking ball club.  Slow.  Not particularly good hitters.  Pitching seems to be a problem as well.  With apologies to Huey Lewis and the News...Sometimes bad is bad.  I look for 2 and barbecue today....Although La Roche is more on par competition wise.  Pitching.  In what would have looked to be a day full of pitcher's duels, that never really materialized.  D'Amato was sharp for the most part, but still gave up 5 runs (though three were unearned).  Blaski settled in after the first two guys scored.  Fryman was shelled early, but was able to settle down and cruise, Truschel got rocked and never got back in it.  The kid from Manchester maybe had the best day of all of them.

Beautiful day again in the valley for baseball.  High of 73 and Sunshine all around. 

EttaFan1

Westminster and La Roche played a pretty good ball game today.  Errors were costly for Westminster though.  In the eighth, The cutoff man failed to catch a throw from the outfiled which allowed the tying run to score and the winning run to move into scoring position.  La Roche came through with a clutch base hit to push the go-ahead run across.

Final score, La Roche 3, Westminster 2.  Much better baseball was played by both teams today.

So far today the wind is blowing IN.  It looks to be a pitcher's day.

Westminster's pitcher went the distance, which was probably an inning too much. 

La Roche moves on to play at 1:00 tomorrow, Westminster completes their season. 

mideastfan2

Marietta falls to SJFC 5-2.  Beaumont threw a great game for SJF, and MC once again got off to a terrible start.

With the 8-team format, MArietta will have a lot of work to do the rest of this tournament.  THey must win 5 in a row to return to Appleton.  The good news is that they have deep pitching, and Blaksi and Gasser should be available for this weekend, if they can get there.

SJFC is a solid baseball team.  Not sure if they have much pitching beyond their top 2, but those 2 are very good.  It will be interesting to see if they can keep the momentum going tomorrow against the Adrian/Manchester winner.  They celebrated this win like it was the regional title...and it very well could be.  But there is still a lot of tournament left to play.  Congrats to SJFC on a huge win for their program!

EttaFan1

Beaumont was phenomenal today. The pioneer bats had no answers. I'm equally impressed with the fisher offense. They put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. It will be interesting to see the matchup for the winners bracket game.