FB: Region 6 fan poll

Started by 02 Warhawk, October 28, 2014, 04:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger74

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on October 29, 2014, 07:46:53 AM
I don't see anything wrong with two UWW voters. NRFP has a few Wabashians and it works out OK.

Besides, I don't think UWW bias will be that much of a deal. Everyone kinda knows where UWW goes in the poll :)

I know 02 Warhawks is trying to be as balanced as possible, but given the choice between no WRFP at all vs. a poll with a couple UWW voters, I'll take the poll with a little extra purple in it.

Plus, UWW diehards probably have a good feel for many of the other West conferences because of the multiple deep playoff runs.

What I've noticed in other polls is that bias tends more toward confences rather than teams. I think that if a WIAC poster truly thought that Linfield or one of the MIAC teams was better than Whitewater he would vote that way, but it's very unlikely that even the best team in the UMAC or MWC would be rated higher than all but the bottom teams in the power conferences. That's the bias you'd have to account for, in my opinion.
   I should note that this applies to me, too. I'm not putting St. Scholastica or Carroll in my Top 25 fan poll unless they get to at least the second round of the playoffs.
TANSTAAFL

art76

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 29, 2014, 08:07:09 AM
Alrighty...if there are no objections MasterJedi is in.

1. 02 Warhawk (UWW - WIAC)
2. Hazzben (Bethel - MIAC)
3. MasterJedi (UWW - WIAC)

You can throw my hat into the ring as well. (82 Bethel Alumni)
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

02 Warhawk

4. art76 (Bethel - MIAC)

I think we're good on Bethel and UWW voters.  :)  Depending on who else joins, there might be room for one more non-UWW WIAC voter, and one more non-Bethel MIAC voter.

bleedpurple

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 29, 2014, 11:59:49 AM

4. art76 (Bethel - MIAC)
5.Bleedpurple (Wartburg-IIAC  ;) )

I think we're good on Bethel and UWW voters.  :)  Depending on who else joins, there might be room for one more non-UWW WIAC voter, and one more non-Bethel MIAC voter.

jknezek

If you get someone from the NWC and SCIAC and got up to 5 people you could do the rest of this year. I do the South Region. It's a lot of fun, not a ton of work, and helps with my pick-ems. We only have 4 or 5 people submitting votes and it's enough.

bleedpurple

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on October 29, 2014, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on October 29, 2014, 07:46:53 AM
I don't see anything wrong with two UWW voters. NRFP has a few Wabashians and it works out OK.

Besides, I don't think UWW bias will be that much of a deal. Everyone kinda knows where UWW goes in the poll :)

I know 02 Warhawks is trying to be as balanced as possible, but given the choice between no WRFP at all vs. a poll with a couple UWW voters, I'll take the poll with a little extra purple in it.

Plus, UWW diehards probably have a good feel for many of the other West conferences because of the multiple deep playoff runs.

What I've noticed in other polls is that bias tends more toward confences rather than teams. I think that if a WIAC poster truly thought that Linfield or one of the MIAC teams was better than Whitewater he would vote that way, but it's very unlikely that even the best team in the UMAC or MWC would be rated higher than all but the bottom teams in the power conferences. That's the bias you'd have to account for, in my opinion.
   I should note that this applies to me, too. I'm not putting St. Scholastica or Carroll in my Top 25 fan poll unless they get to at least the second round of the playoffs.

On a more serious note than my previous post...

I agree with this generally, but not quite as firm as you put it. I would be open (although, I would admit I'm not sure how I would identify it) to keeping my eyes open for a "special" team from those weaker conferences. Maybe the presence of a stud player? Not sure.  But I think it would be important to try to keep your mind open to the possibilities. "Show me" works for me when putting teams into the "next level" within the Top 25. However, it would be tough for even most of the Top 25 teams if the only way they could "Show me" is to win a first round playoff game against UW-W/Linfield/MIAC Champ.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: jknezek on October 29, 2014, 01:30:23 PM
If you get someone from the NWC and SCIAC and got up to 5 people you could do the rest of this year. I do the South Region. It's a lot of fun, not a ton of work, and helps with my pick-ems. We only have 4 or 5 people submitting votes and it's enough.

Yea, once we get enough voters, I thought about finishing the season with a West poll...if the current volunteers are willing.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 29, 2014, 01:34:31 PM
On a more serious note than my previous post...

I agree with this generally, but not quite as firm as you put it. I would be open (although, I would admit I'm not sure how I would identify it) to keeping my eyes open for a "special" team from those weaker conferences. Maybe the presence of a stud player? Not sure.  But I think it would be important to try to keep your mind open to the possibilities. "Show me" works for me when putting teams into the "next level" within the Top 25. However, it would be tough for even most of the Top 25 teams if the only way they could "Show me" is to win a first round playoff game against UW-W/Linfield/MIAC Champ.

Well played, bleedpurpleorange

D3MAFAN

I am surprised there is no one from the NWC, they have a good amount of supporters on the boards.

02 Warhawk

Nice...I see hazzben hazzben getting the word out trying recruit in the West threads.

+K

(see what I did there?)  ;D

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 29, 2014, 02:09:46 PM

Yea, once we get enough voters, I thought about finishing the season with a West poll...if the current volunteers are willing.

I'm in if you need someone from the SCIAC for this season.. 

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Jack Parkman on October 29, 2014, 04:08:49 PM

Sure do....who's your team in the SCIAC?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 29, 2014, 04:57:53 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on October 29, 2014, 04:08:49 PM

Sure do....who's your team in the SCIAC?

I'm a Cal Lu athletic supporter....pun intended.

02 Warhawk

4. art76 (Bethel - MIAC)
5. Jack Parkman (Cal Luth. - SCIAC)

We might have a Linfield rep joining soon too. So far so good.

D O.C.

Not me.  I do not want any more polls with Whitewater at the top. That's where I'd put 'em.

Jack Parkman good.
Nominate MonroviaCat.
WC11 obvious but perhaps too busy.
Nominate (509)rat.