2017 Playoffs

Started by Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat, October 31, 2017, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

As usual, Pat beat me to the punchline.   The NESCAC now plays 9 games, but all still only among themselves, and no playoffs.  To my mind, they are playing intramurals, and (in football) not members of D3.  A shame, since they do so well in many other sports, but I wish Pat would declare it taboo to vote for NESCAC teams in football, since there is absolutely no way to compare them.

emma17

Merle,
I do look forward to your comments.

edward de vere

wally_wabash

Quote from: merlecanlas on November 09, 2017, 01:48:47 PM
of course UWO has a tough schedule due to the WIAC, but their OOC leaves a ton to be desired.  JCU was a good game, but that will look bad against Mount vs JCU,

You were saying, sir? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

merlecanlas

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 10, 2017, 03:42:28 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on November 10, 2017, 03:05:11 PM

maybe don't wait until June to schedule that year's football games?  I'm no AD but I would try to handle that prior to camp.

Nobody waits until June to schedule that year's games. For example, we relaunched our Open Dates board last month and UW-Oshkosh was one of the first to post its dates for 2018 and 2019.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/scoop-friday-june-2-2017/

maybe ask your buddy at football scoop about it.  Seems like a little late to send out invites for a friendly football match.

Pat, no need to be rude about Mount's OOC schedule.  UWW, UWO, SJF, Franklin, Wash U, does Rose-Hulman count? Your post was mediocre, not Mount's recent OOC

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 11, 2017, 05:37:39 PM
of course UWO has a tough schedule due to the WIAC, but their OOC leaves a ton to be desired.  JCU was a good game, but that will look bad against Mount vs JCU,

You were saying, sir? 

Mount under performed.  UWO's OOC still is garbage (VA-Lynchburg vs St Olaf, or even Bye week vs VA-Lynchburg, now that's a game) but they can enjoy the "North" region as the #1.  Mount will likely still host a semi-final game but would gladly travel to Wisconsin in middle December

merlecanlas

Quote from: smedindy on November 11, 2017, 12:09:35 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on November 09, 2017, 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on November 09, 2017, 02:14:50 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on November 09, 2017, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on November 09, 2017, 12:58:41 PM
the coach for UWO's 2nd OOC (Jimmy Joe, what a name) was just fired for being 0-8 on the year.  Does this information get to the NCAA/RAC prior to ranking?  It was tough finding that W-L record

Can't believe there's any axe left to grind on this. 

Mount Union lost a game in 2016 and lost their right to host games in that season's tournament.  Then they lost in the semifinals which means that they lost their previous year's championship record protection to the teams that went farther...of which one is Oshkosh.  It's a full year process before Mount Union can get that protection back.  Unless they get help, the Raiders are going to have to advance to Salem by winning one game on the road.  That's just the way it's gonna be no matter how loud you want to yell about Va-Lynchburg. 

Also, I'm still waiting for you to tell me who Oshkosh was supposed to play.  You've deftly ignored that.

Mount will go on the road, but I dont have access to the D3 composite schedule. But I would be shocked if there wasn't a team or two open.  But they didnt schedule anybody and I accept that, they chose to play an inter-mural team.  But a schedule with UVL and a bye shouldn't be praised as a meat grinder.  Should 10 conference teams start scheduling the College of Faith or Stark State for their non conference game?  UWO's choice of OOC is gross

You keep saying this like it was UW-O's deliberate choice to not play 10 games and to have a game against UVa-Lynchburg.  There were open teams?  Who was open?  And then who among those teams with open dates were willing to go play Oshkosh?  You go find that stuff out and get back to us.  I'll wait.

maybe don't wait until June to schedule that year's football games?  I'm no AD but I would try to handle that prior to camp.

Just running down the list of D3 teams, ranked from least amount of wins to most, there is at least 20 schools with only 8 games played by the time you get to 3 wins.  I bet they all were called and said no. 

Can't wait for your new playoff projection

Some teams also schedule only 9 games. The SCIAC and most of the NWC only play nine. The NESCAC only plays 8, as you know, and they don't do any non-conference games.

I dont believe my list had any NESCAC or SCIAC teams on it.  i've got NWC, ASC, MWC, USAC, NEWMAC, NACC, ODAC, IIAC schools without 10 games and that was only counting the bad ones. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: merlecanlas on November 12, 2017, 12:10:11 PM

Nobody waits until June to schedule that year's games. For example, we relaunched our Open Dates board last month and UW-Oshkosh was one of the first to post its dates for 2018 and 2019.

maybe ask your buddy at football scoop about it.  Seems like a little late to send out invites for a friendly football match.

Pat, no need to be rude about Mount's OOC schedule.  UWW, UWO, SJF, Franklin, Wash U, does Rose-Hulman count? Your post was mediocre, not Mount's recent OOC

Seems like a silly assumption to think that was the first time UWO tried to schedule. When you get to emergency, yeah, perhaps you post again. You're smarter than that, even if you are just a pale purple suit.

You skipped some schools. And haven't played Rose-Hulman yet but kudos for scheduling them out five years in advance.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

smedindy

I don't think Linfield has ever schedule 10 regular season games in a season - at least not in a while.

I'm sure there are teams in other conferences that would play a WIAC team, but have round-robins with only one slot. With the growth of conferences to have just one or two non-conference games, it's harder to find games for those with multiple weeks off.

Then there are some conferences and teams that don't have the budget to travel very far. Some of the New England teams can't really travel outside of their region to play.

Many MWC college teams have continued to play teams in their other division.

I also think you are looking at the wrong column in the standings as well...

smedindy

Here's a list of teams (non-NESCAC) with 9 or fewer games, not counting the games lost to OXY.

Wi - Oshkosh
Linfield
WI - Stout
Redlands
Pacific Lutheran
Wash U
Cal Lutheran
Pacific
Pomona Pitzer
CMS
Puget Sound
Merchant Marine
LaVerne
Lewis & Clark
Willamette
Rochester
Whittier
Maine Maritime
Concordia - Chicago
Rockford
Finlandia

So, we have the NWC and SCIAC schools, who rarely or never play 10. Rochester schedules nine as a rule. Merchant Marine and Maine Maritime really stay in their region to play. Wash U. was an independent this year, and fit in teams where they could while playing their old UAA bretheren. Then there's Concordia, Rockford, and Finlandia, which have really no business playing a WIAC team, though Finlandia did last year.

Scheduling is hard - it's relatively easy for those teams with one bye week, but the more games you have to get, the fewer teams with open dates there are.

bluestreak66

You were saying, sir? 

Mount under performed.  UWO's OOC still is garbage (VA-Lynchburg vs St Olaf, or even Bye week vs VA-Lynchburg, now that's a game) but they can enjoy the "North" region as the #1.  Mount will likely still host a semi-final game but would gladly travel to Wisconsin in middle December

I don't think mount under performed as much as I think john carroll is actually a quality non playoff team that played two bad games against two other pretty good teams, and played two good games against two really great teams. Not totally sure what the crusade against oshkosh is all about, but they:
A. Won their conference
B. Were on a small list of teams that finished undefeated this year
C. Are in what we can all agree is one of the best conferences in the country  (and still posted an undefeated record)
D. Are the defending runners up, and thus will be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to seeding.

Yes, they only played 9 games,  and one was against a really, really weak opponent, but weather they played Lynchburg or not doesn't, and shouldn't, have bearing on how good the committee  (accurately) views them. And given the similar results against the common opponent, people are going to view them on Mount's level
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

SaintsFAN

Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 12, 2017, 06:36:46 PM

You were saying, sir? 

I don't think mount under performed as much as I think john carroll is actually a quality non playoff team that played two bad games against two other pretty good teams, and played two good games against two really great teams. Not totally sure what the crusade against oshkosh is all about, but they:
A. Won their conference
B. Were on a small list of teams that finished undefeated this year
C. Are in what we can all agree is one of the best conferences in the country  (and still posted an undefeated record)
D. Are the defending runners up, and thus will be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to seeding.

Yes, they only played 9 games,  and one was against a really, really weak opponent, but weather they played Lynchburg or not doesn't, and shouldn't, have bearing on how good the committee  (accurately) views them. And given the similar results against the common opponent, people are going to view them on Mount's level

It's just a really bad and misinformed rant-turned multi-post
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

jknezek

At this point people are just feeding the thing under the bridge.

MediaGuy

I think there are 2 other factors involved with scheduling that nobody has mentioned. First is cost, very few teams will sign a multi-year game contract that isn't a home and away deal, meaning one year they will have to travel, and many schools don't have a long road trip in their budget, so that limits the range of possible opponents. Second, every team scrimmages someone in the pre-season.  A Wartburg vs Platteville game or Dubuque vs Oshkosh game would make sense for possible regionally ranked opponents but they currently scrimmage each other, so that is just one less team from an ever shrinking list that you could possibly schedule

smedindy

Kind of surprised it's nice and quiet about selections (for a change - no one is barking about the auto-bids), and the only questions I see are the St. John's @ North Central matchup. That's probably no doubt due to how they had to put other teams together and it's no worse than Hardin Simmons traveling to Linfield. it also matters that St. John's was 5th in the West rankings with really no chance to move ahead of the top 4.

It basically is a classic 4 vs 5.