FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: HansenRatings on September 27, 2016, 04:29:20 PM
Non-conference strength of schedule (based on my ratings, 0 to 1 scale) for each ODAC team:

Team   SoS   
Bridgewater   0.794   
Washington and Lee   0.680   
Randolph-Macon   0.495   
Hampden-Sydney   0.462   
Emory and Henry   0.449   
Guilford   0.250   
Catholic   0.242   
Shenandoah   0.187   

Bridgwater (excluding the NNA game) and W&L had the toughest schedules (thanks to TMC & JHU, respectively). RMC, HSC, and E&H played average competition, and the other three pretty much exclusively played cupcakes. It would be hard to argue that Guilford's schedule is demonstrably more difficult than Catholic's.
I don't think anyone disagrees.  We know, for example, that GCQ's OOC schedule is weak on a yearly basis and this year is no exception.

HSCTiger fan

Personally I get a little tired of hearing about OOC scheduled. Especially GC's. Everyone has to play and perform against who they play. Preseason everyone would have HSC 3-0 or 2-1. Well they aren't. OOC games MUST be scheduled based on budget for ALL ODAC schools. Why should GC drop Greensboro?  I say play them for the next 100 years. What does it matter? 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 28, 2016, 08:21:27 AM
Personally I get a little tired of hearing about OOC scheduled. Especially GC's. Everyone has to play and perform against who they play. Preseason everyone would have HSC 3-0 or 2-1. Well they aren't. OOC games MUST be scheduled based on budget for ALL ODAC schools. Why should GC drop Greensboro?  I say play them for the next 100 years. What does it matter?

I agree and disagree with this. Schools have to do what is in their best interest. If Guilford chooses to only pay to play the 3 or 4 nearest schools, then that is what they do. However, you don't want to hear grumbling when they go 9-1 and get left out of the playoffs by losing the AQ. Not from Guilford, not from the ODAC. They reap what they sow, and I think Hasa has done a great job of being up front about it. I doubt all Guilford fans are the same way.

W&L played the lamest OOC schedule last year I've ever seen. But they won the AQ. Would they have gone undefeated if they hadn't played a weak slate? I don't know. Based on this year it seems unlikely. But if they had, they might have pulled a home game in the playoffs with just one better opponent. This year W&L played the toughest slate in the conference. I know Hanson is ignoring NNA, but lets not forget about them just because they don't fit a neat and tidy box. CMS is likely to make the West Regional Rankings if they keep winning, JHU is likely to be near the top of the South Regional Rankings if they keep focused. But the issue is can W&L win the conference. Because with 2 losses, even to presumed RROs, you aren't getting a Pool C.

So OOC matters, but only if you don't win the AQ. Does playing better opponents prepare you for the season ahead? Or does running over marshmallows give you the momentum you need going into conference play? There is plenty of evidence on both sides, so I think it is difficult to draw a conclusion.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on September 28, 2016, 08:49:07 AM
I agree and disagree with this. Schools have to do what is in their best interest. If Guilford chooses to only pay to play the 3 or 4 nearest schools, then that is what they do. However, you don't want to hear grumbling when they go 9-1 and get left out of the playoffs by losing the AQ. Not from Guilford, not from the ODAC. They reap what they sow, and I think Hasa has done a great job of being up front about it. I doubt all Guilford fans are the same way.

Twitter proves this correct.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

W&L played the lamest OOC schedule last year I've ever seen. But they won the AQ. Would they have gone undefeated if they hadn't played a weak slate? I don't know. Based on this year it seems unlikely. But if they had, they might have pulled a home game in the playoffs with just one better opponent. This year W&L played the toughest slate in the conference. I know Hanson is ignoring NNA, but lets not forget about them just because they don't fit a neat and tidy box. CMS is likely to make the West Regional Rankings if they keep winning, JHU is likely to be near the top of the South Regional Rankings if they keep focused. But the issue is can W&L win the conference. Because with 2 losses, even to presumed RROs, you aren't getting a Pool C.

Just to clarify here, two losses all by itself isn't a Pool C disqualifier.  Three losses is though and in W&L's case (and so many others) for them to not qualify automatically requires a loss somewhere in league play, which would be the fatal third loss. I plan to illustrate this sort of thing in an eliminator table that I'll drop into the Pool C thread once a week maybe starting this week, next week at the latest. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 28, 2016, 01:59:51 PM

Just to clarify here, two losses all by itself isn't a Pool C disqualifier.  Three losses is though and in W&L's case (and so many others) for them to not qualify automatically requires a loss somewhere in league play, which would be the fatal third loss. I plan to illustrate this sort of thing in an eliminator table that I'll drop into the Pool C thread once a week maybe starting this week, next week at the latest.

Good point Wally. I was thinking along those lines, and typed something else entirely. +K for the clarification.

CMR

Quote from: hasanova on September 21, 2016, 11:39:22 AM
No ODAC football until the 29th!  What will I do?
One thing that you'll need to do is wait until the 30th.  Just heard the game has been moved to Friday night.

hasanova

Quote from: CMR on September 28, 2016, 03:26:26 PM
Quote from: hasanova on September 21, 2016, 11:39:22 AM
No ODAC football until the 29th!  What will I do?
One thing that you'll need to do is wait until the 30th.  Just heard the game has been moved to Friday night.
Okay, thanks for the update ... I was going to tune in Thursday to get a look at both squads.

Birddawg79

Finally some cooler temps! Starting to feel like football weather. Gonna be alittle damp in Lexington this Friday night which should help W&L's ground and pound game. Not sure which General team will show up but after a week off hopefully Abell has them focused and hungry.
Tent, chairs and all the tailgating supplies are packed and ready to go. Safe travels to all!

Go Generals!

jknezek

Quote from: Birddawg79 on September 29, 2016, 11:57:25 AM
Finally some cooler temps! Starting to feel like football weather. Gonna be alittle damp in Lexington this Friday night which should help W&L's ground and pound game. Not sure which General team will show up but after a week off hopefully Abell has them focused and hungry.
Tent, chairs and all the tailgating supplies are packed and ready to go. Safe travels to all!

Go Generals!

Here's hoping. That second half against CMS was painful. Waiting for W&L to put together a complete game. Hoping we got a little healthier over the bye and a little more polished. Ready for the ODAC challenge to start!

HSCTiger fan

How many ODAC teams have ever made the NCAA tournament as an at large team?  I only know of one. HSC did it in 2010.  Basically a team must win ODAC to play in the tournament. So if you are an ODAC team scheduling good teams in OOC play, it might help with home field, there's a slim chance it might get you an at large - BUT only if you win the OOC game.  Lose the OOC game and finish 2nd in ODAC gets you nothing. 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

onceamink

Quote from: jknezek on September 29, 2016, 12:59:51 PM

Go Generals!

Here's hoping. That second half against CMS was painful. Waiting for W&L to put together a complete game. Hoping we got a little healthier over the bye and a little more polished. Ready for the ODAC challenge to start!

They have played a quarter... can they play 3 more?

jknezek

Quote from: onceamink on September 30, 2016, 07:18:06 PM

Go Generals!

Nope

onceamink

Quote from: jknezek on September 30, 2016, 07:51:45 PM

Go Generals!

Nope

Same bad body language by the players.  Lack of intensity...  ugh.

Birddawg79

Quote from: onceamink on September 30, 2016, 08:33:14 PM
Quote from: jknezek on September 30, 2016, 07:51:45 PM

Go Generals!

Nope

Same bad body language by the players.  Lack of intensity...  ugh.

Sloppy 3rd.