FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CardinalAlum

https://www.d3football.com/awards/tow/2019/week1

Congrats to the CCIW players that made the D3 Football team of the week, especially the NCC offensive line.  Jarod Thornton is a heck of a good freshman to crack this starting lineup!  Congrats to McRae and O'Boyle as well!  Broc Rutter broke Kam Kniss' career TD record.  First of many he will break this year.  Nice start for the conference schools.  North Park was a surprise, along with Millikin. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: CNU85 on September 09, 2019, 08:31:15 AM
Quote from: AndOne on September 07, 2019, 11:16:11 PM
After outmaneuvering Hurricane Dorian to slip into Newport News, VA, the NCC Cardinals also outmaneuvered the home town Christopher Newport Captains to post a 43-13 season opening win. In rolling to the victory, the Cardinals racked up 508 total yards while allowing CNU just 212. They also forced 3 turnovers, and registered 4 quarterback sacks.

NCC All-America QB Broc Rutter completed 27 of 36 passes for 369 yards. Included in those 27 completions were 3 that went for touchdowns. The 3TDs were the 90th, 91st, and 92nd of Rutter's career, and set a new all-time career record for TD passes, surpassing the previous record which had stood since 2007.

One area definitely needing improvement is the kicking game as the Cardinals missed a relatively easy FG, and 2 PATs. That performance won't fly vs. superior opposition, and could easily cost a game.

Kudos to CNU for always trying to fill the schedule with top notch opponents. It's the only way to measure where you are. Unfortunately, the first game of the year is always tough, and especially against teams like NCC. They weer big and fast. Even the crazy travel didn't deter them.

CNU has a ways to go to return to the top 25 and higher. But we are making strides. Our coach is just starting his 3rd year after taking over for a CNU legend. I think the program overall is on the right track. 

I did meet with the President of NCC and chatted a bit. Very down to earth guy. Was good chatting with him for a bit. I just may make the return trip next year.

NCC President Troy Hammond attended the women's volleyball tournament which lasted until about 9:00 last Friday night. On Saturday morning he and Rick Spencer, NCC VP of Institutional Advancement, got up at 4:30 AM to catch a flight to Newport News, VA in order to attend the NCC @ CNU football game.
Very nice to have a President who naturally promotes the academic advancement of the College first, but who is also strongly supportive of its athletic endeavors as well.  8-)

CNU85

Quote from: AndOne on September 12, 2019, 07:54:10 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on September 09, 2019, 08:31:15 AM
Quote from: AndOne on September 07, 2019, 11:16:11 PM
After outmaneuvering Hurricane Dorian to slip into Newport News, VA, the NCC Cardinals also outmaneuvered the home town Christopher Newport Captains to post a 43-13 season opening win. In rolling to the victory, the Cardinals racked up 508 total yards while allowing CNU just 212. They also forced 3 turnovers, and registered 4 quarterback sacks.

NCC All-America QB Broc Rutter completed 27 of 36 passes for 369 yards. Included in those 27 completions were 3 that went for touchdowns. The 3TDs were the 90th, 91st, and 92nd of Rutter's career, and set a new all-time career record for TD passes, surpassing the previous record which had stood since 2007.

One area definitely needing improvement is the kicking game as the Cardinals missed a relatively easy FG, and 2 PATs. That performance won't fly vs. superior opposition, and could easily cost a game.

Kudos to CNU for always trying to fill the schedule with top notch opponents. It's the only way to measure where you are. Unfortunately, the first game of the year is always tough, and especially against teams like NCC. They weer big and fast. Even the crazy travel didn't deter them.

CNU has a ways to go to return to the top 25 and higher. But we are making strides. Our coach is just starting his 3rd year after taking over for a CNU legend. I think the program overall is on the right track. 

I did meet with the President of NCC and chatted a bit. Very down to earth guy. Was good chatting with him for a bit. I just may make the return trip next year.

NCC President Troy Hammond attended the women's volleyball tournament which lasted until about 9:00 last Friday night. On Saturday morning he and Rick Spencer, NCC VP of Institutional Advancement, got up at 4:30 AM to catch a flight to Newport News, VA in order to attend the NCC @ CNU football game.
Very nice to have a President who naturally promotes the academic advancement of the College first, but who is also strongly supportive of its athletic endeavors as well.  8-)

Indeed. For any program to be successful it must have administrative support from the top. This definitely shows he's "all in".  I know our President, a former US Senator, attends many games at home and on the road. He's been to ST Louis to watch the women's Volleyball team in the National Finals. This past basketball season I drove to the final four in Ft Wayne to cheer on the Captains. There he was. And I think he was probably at the women's soccer final four last year too,  but I don't know for sure. Since he took over at CNU in 1996 he has completely changed the culture and campus. There have been approx $1.5 Billion (with a B) in infrastructure additions and improvements. CNU is consistently ranked near the top by all he rankings. Princeton review, poet and quants, US News, etc.

After I met with your President and was at home, I looked him up. When I saw his background I was thinking, "no way that's the same guy I just met in jeans". So I found a picture of him (there's not one in his bio at NCC. Yep, that was him. If I make the trip to NCC next year, I will reach out to him as his last words to me were, "we would love to host you".

I may just do that. I'd love to see the famous at NCC and see what his vision is for NCC. Hint.....he took pictures of the CNU marching band and said he was showing your Provost!! 

From my 5 minute exposure my 8moression is they NCC is on the move and in good hands.

devildog29

IWU 1st quarter has consisted of -
1.  Blown kickoff coverage starts UWL near midfield.
2.  Blown coverage on 2nd play for 55 yard UWL TD.
3.  IWU pass into endzone should've been a TD but receiver lets DB tear the ball out of his hands for an INT.
4.  IWU throws a pick-6 on next possesion.
5.  IWU completes pass into the red zone on next posession but called back for holding and take a sack on next play.

They could not have had a sloppier 1st quarter to start the season even though they arguably look like the more talented team thus far.
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here, all out for Wesleyan!

Titan Q

Quote from: devildog29 on September 14, 2019, 02:44:21 PM
IWU 1st quarter has consisted of -
1.  Blown kickoff coverage starts UWL near midfield.
2.  Blown coverage on 2nd play for 55 yard UWL TD.
3.  IWU pass into endzone should've been a TD but receiver lets DB tear the ball out of his hands for an INT.
4.  IWU throws a pick-6 on next possesion.
5.  IWU completes pass into the red zone on next posession but called back for holding and take a sack on next play.

They could not have had a sloppier 1st quarter to start the season even though they arguably look like the more talented team thus far.

Half: UWL 17 IWU 7

* 1st downs: IWU 14 UWL 3

* Total offense: IWU 279 UWL 141

* T.O.P.: IWU 19:53 UWL 10:07

But Brandon Bauer has been picked 4 times.  One was on a perfectly thrown ball into the endzone that looked like a TD...and was somehow stripped by UWL in the endzone.  One a costly pick 6...another on UWL's 5...and one late that gave UWL a FG before half.

IWU gets the ball to start the half.  If the Titans can stop shooting themselves in the foot they can get back in this one.

Titan Q

Final 2OT:

UW-La Crosse 33
IWU 27

1st downs: IWU 32 UWL 12
Total yards: IWU 546 UWL 277
Possession: IWU 38:49 UWL 21:11

* Brandon Bauer: 32-55, 367 yards, 2 TD, 6 INT
* Hamid Bullie: 37 carries, 177 yards
* Jack Healy: 7 catches, 98 yards, 2 TD

* Trevor Koepke: 7 tackles

On the first possession of 2OT, Brandon Bauer completed a 3rd down pass for a 1st down.  I assumed the play was about to be blown dead...but the ball was stripped, fumbled, and returned 85 yards for a TD.

A very uncharacteristic game from senior QB Brandon Bauer, with 6 INTs.  One was a pick 6.

As disappointing as this loss was, I'm more confident in IWU's ability to contend for the CCIW title now than I was before the game.  RB Hamid Bullie (Virginia State) is a good player and I think IWU has a lot of talent on the defensive side.  And I don't see Bauer throwing 6 INTs again.

IWU didn't deserve to win today, but I think they can play with Wheaton next Saturday.

USee

With 7 turnovers in a game they won't contend for any title, or any game. Bauer is a gunslinger and he showed that today. 27 pts with that many turnovers shows the IWU offense is going to be pretty legit if they can hold on to the ball.

IWU defense was very good, not sure how good UWL's offense was. They scored on their second play off a play action post to their best WR Spieker, and I was baffled as to why they didn't go to that play again until midway through the 4th when they completed it again for a long gain. IWU was playing him bump and run man the whole game. Sometimes they played zone from that look but many times Koepke was alone on him. The CCIW QB's are going to go after that matchup a lot if that's what IWU does as a scheme.

I came away thinking IWU is who we thought they were. A talented team that can contend. If the took care of the ball today they would have won easily.

Titan Q

Quote from: USee on September 14, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
I came away thinking IWU is who we thought they were. A talented team that can contend. If the took care of the ball today they would have won easily.

Easily. 

Disappointing.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kiko

Todays results leave the conference with a 6-4 non-conference record.

Next week starts the main attraction:
Carroll at Carthage
Elmhurst at Augie
Millikin at North Park
North Central at Wash U
Illinois Wesleyan at Wheaton

USee

Quote from: kiko on September 14, 2019, 09:38:29 PM
Todays results leave the conference with a 6-4 non-conference record.

Next week starts the main attraction:
Carroll at Carthage
Elmhurst at Augie
Millikin at North Park
North Central at Wash U
Illinois Wesleyan at Wheaton

4 teams ranked in the top 25 for the CCIW in the latest poll though its a tall task to keep that for more than this week.

#5 plays @ #24
#18 plays @ #17

mwunder

Quote from: USee on September 14, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
With 7 turnovers in a game they won't contend for any title, or any game.

Ummm, they went in double OT against the #2 team in the WIAC.  What does it mean to "contend" if double OT vs. #23 doesn't fit the definition?

79jaybird

Kind of what I expected Saturday at Langhorst.  Aurora is a solid team, but this was more Elmhurst struggling.
McDonald has his hands full, but seems to have to right approach towards it.  Aurora's offense had their way all game. 
It's going to be a long year for Elmhurst.

IWU is going to be fine. I still expect them to compete well  (upper 1/3 of the division) in conference.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION