Rank the Mideast Region

Started by Spence, March 17, 2013, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElRetornodelEspencio

Quote from: ADL70 on May 14, 2016, 11:41:43 PM
Quote from: EttaFan1 on May 14, 2016, 07:19:20 PM
Regionally ranked pool a teams

1. La Roche. (Leads 8-4 in the 7th at this time)
2. Marietta
5. Wooster
8. rose Hulman

Unbranded pool a

Thomas more.
Kalamazoo

Pool b teams

4. Cwru

Pool c teams
3. Owu
6. Otterbein
7. Adrian
9. Denison

Bs are likely to be Emory and SJ Fisher so CWRU drops to C. LaRoche won today, faces Behrend tomorrow for the AQ. Go Redhawks!

I imagine it'll be a lively discussion for the 2nd Pool B spot. In the end I doubt it matters as they're all 3 (Case, Fisher, Wash U) getting in, I think.

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU and Case both get in. Do not know how each was ranked in the final secret ballot, but glad both got in.  They are the 3rd seed in the west while OWU is the 5th in Washington.
Marietta goes south to GA as a number 4.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on May 05, 2016, 10:53:33 PM
Well they moved up one or two places in the regional rankings today, and they continue to recieve votes in the d3 poll.
And I agree, they should not wait until the end to schedule a tough opponent. Looks like they have done that for a few years now.
With Ott being left home hopefully we will see a stronger schedule for them next year. Played one game against a BAD D1 team and then 3 against North Central. Did not play very strong teams when they went down south. Hopefully they change their MO next year.

ADL70

They did have two or three games scheduled with CWRU that were lost to weather.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: ADL70 on May 16, 2016, 05:54:00 PM
They did have two or three games scheduled with CWRU that were lost to weather.
true but IMO, they wasted three games in Florida. I can see playing one game against North Central but not Three.

ElRetornodelEspencio

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on May 16, 2016, 04:49:05 PM
Well they moved up one or two places in the regional rankings today, and they continue to recieve votes in the d3 poll.
And I agree, they should not wait until the end to schedule a tough opponent. Looks like they have done that for a few years now.
With Ott being left home hopefully we will see a stronger schedule for them next year. Played one game against a BAD D1 team and then 3 against North Central. Did not play very strong teams when they went down south. Hopefully they change their MO next year.

Only so much they can do with when their spring trip is. But they can't play North Central 3 times again. They just can't. Killed them. I don't think it should have, I think people should have been smart enough to see through that, and maybe they were and it just wasn't good enough. But it just destroyed their SOS.

Bishopleftiesdad

I think if they could have pulled off a win at La Roche, they could have made it. It looked like head to head may have been important.

DagarmanSpartan

Go to see Case made it in.  Their pool looks tough though.  It'll take a tremendous effort on their part to advance.

GO SPARTANS!!!

EttaFan1

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on May 16, 2016, 04:49:05 PM

I think otterbein is at a slight disadvantage for spring break. It appears their Florida trip doesn't line up with most other d3 schools when everyone else goes south, so the number of opponents is limited. With that said I thought most of the d3 schools in our region would have learned last year when Wooster who had 30+ wins was left at home because of their awful sos.

Dr. Acula

The other thing that didn't help Ott was that the OAC as a whole was down.  Lots of .500 teams this year including two of the teams that made the OAC tournament.  The records of the 2nd-4th place teams didn't do them any favors.  Normally you could have counted on something more like Etta being 28-12 and BW/JCU being 25-15 or thereabouts.   

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 17, 2016, 12:03:55 PM
The other thing that didn't help Ott was that the OAC as a whole was down.  Lots of .500 teams this year including two of the teams that made the OAC tournament.  The records of the 2nd-4th place teams didn't do them any favors.  Normally you could have counted on something more like Etta being 28-12 and BW/JCU being 25-15 or thereabouts.   
BW has been good but really only since the 2012 season. Before that they were a middle of the road team. Of coarse that is when Coach Harrison showed up and has done good things with the program. I hope this is just a blip on the radar for BW and not a return to form.

Dr. Acula

They were good down the stretch including in the OAC tournament.  They lost 1-0 and 6-5 to Etta last weekend so it's not like they were playing poorly at all.  Harrison does a very good job there.  They just started slowly this year.

EttaFan1

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 17, 2016, 12:03:55 PM

True to a point....The OAC is down.  Otterbein had the best overall record, and you don't play yourself, so there is no benefit to that, but it is worth noting, that the only OAC school with a worse SOS than Otterbein is Wilmington.  BW, JCU, and Marietta all had top 50 SOS rankings this year and played in the same conference.  IS the difference between 212 and 34 playing Otterbein 2 or three times vs playing BW two or three times? 

I would also venture a guess that conferences probably look very similar from top to bottom from an overall W-L perspective.  There are bad and mediocre teams in every conference. 

I really think it goes beyond what is in your conference.   Scheduling good teams and having decent results against that competition is given a lot more weight when it comes time to the post season selection.   They sent that message loudly to Wooster last year.  I hope Otterbein heard them again. 

old scot

OWU getting in was a real stretch.  Mid east was weak this year and they were thrown a bone.  Will see how things shakeout and see what is what. Woo not getting last year vs OWU getting in this year must be politics.  Scots earned their way in this year. Yea, I'm bitter about last year when the Obies took the auto bid and Woo got shut out.  Good luck to the Scots, Etta, and OWU.

Bishopleftiesdad

I was surprised when OWU got in. They did have abtop 50 SOS, compared to Wooster last year. Alsobthe teams in front of them in the regional rankings won the pool A bids. OWU was probably first or second on the board for the mid east. If Depauw had gotten the pool A OWU would not have gotten in, bevause Wooster would have taken a C and OWU and probably left on the board when the last selection is made. OWU needs to prove they belong.