MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcarr

For the first time in over a decade, I looked up my username and reset my password, just to say: WOW and WOO!  (Also, thanks to the board for keeping this occasional lurker informed over the past 15 years).
Wheaton Thunder soccer: '08 Women's Runners-up. '07 Women's Champions. '06 Women's Champions.  '06 Men's Runners-up. '04 Women's Champions.

Mr. Ypsi

Yeah, I think Francis is highly overrated - only 62 points??  Pshaw!!

I would have felt much more comfortable if his teammates had stepped up a bit more (Wheaton is MUCH more dangerous when they do), but tonight he really COULD do it (almost) by himself!  He not only had over 2/3 of their points, he had 5 more rebounds than any other Wheatie.  (I can't help but wonder if some/many others were suffering an adrenaline hangover from the win over Augie.)

Congrats to Wheaton on their first ever trip to the D3 final four.  As Greg pointed out earlier, we now have all but three teams that have made it to Salem (or, oops!, Ft. Wayne).

Gregory Sager

You can tell that this is a big night, folks: We've just had a Paul Carr sighting on CCIW Chat.

I feel as though I should be dressed black-tie, or something. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

I was a couple pages behind when I came back to the thread this evening. It's kinda fun to read this in hindsight.

Aston Francis is not human.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

augiefan

An absolutely incredible performance by Francis. I have always believed one player cannot win a game singlehandedly, but this game kind of disproved that theory. So glad the Final Four fans will get a chance to see such unbelievably talented player.

GoPerry

Wow.  Wheaton 91  Marietta 87

You just run out of superlatives for Aston Francis.  62 pts 12 rebs (hate those 6 turnovers, but it's all good) but unbelievably clutch in the last 3 mins including the game winner.  Coming off last night's big win, you had to worry if the Thunder could match the energy.  I would say they didn't for a majority of the game and they were especially lethargic defensively when the Pios extended their lead to 14.  But Luke Anthony and Nyameye Adom had a few nice scoring possessions, they clamped down a little defensively, and got the ball to Francis to close it out.  Whew!

Congrats to the Marietta Pioneers for a really superb game and deserved to win as well.  They are a skilled and veteran senior led team and showed it. 

Final Four!!  Rematch with UW-Oshkosh awaits.  On the negative side, 6-6 230 lbs Spencer Peterson was out from the injury sustained vs Augie.  The Thunder really missed him tonight vs Kreeger but the UWO Titans are even bigger and longer.  Let's hope he can recover and play.

Congrats to Coach Mike Schauer and the Wheaton Thunder – on to Ft Wayne!

Smitty Oom

Here is my stat for the day...

Points scored in the Carver Center for the 2018-2019 season:

:: 160 points - Aston Francis - Wheaton Thunder - 4 games
:: 157 points - Brett Benning - Augustana Vikings - 14 games
:: 147 points - Micah Martin - Augustana Vikings - 15 games

(Crishawn Orange had 173 and Pierson Wofford had 171... was hoping that home/road splits would favor Francis somehow outscoring one of those two Viking players.)

iwu70

Wheaton will play Oshkosh in the semi -- as they barely held on over Guilford.  Also a great game.  Ben Boots and Aston Francis in the same game -- should be rich!

IWU'70

Swarthmore (my son's alma mater) vs. CNU in the other semi on Friday in Ft. Wayne.  His comment was "nerds reign."   (Got that right, Ypsi?). 

ms

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 09, 2019, 10:04:36 PM

:: 157 points - Micah Martin - Augustana Vikings - 15 games

(Crishawn Orange had 173 and Pierson Wofford had 171... was hoping that home/road splits would favor Francis somehow outscoring one of those two Viking players.)

Even if he didn't beat out Orange and Wofford (who presumably had 14 or 15 games), that's still freakin' unbelievable!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 09, 2019, 10:04:36 PM

:: 157 points - Micah Martin - Augustana Vikings - 15 games

Wow! Smitty flashing the numbers! Nice!

Here's another one for you: Aston Francis has 180 points in this tournament, setting a new D3 tournament record. The previous record was set by Michael Nogelo of Williams in 1998. It took Nogelo six games to set that record. Francis broke it in four.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

If I'm correctly remembering a post from one of the D3 guys (Ryan Scott?), he also broke the all-time 3-year scoring record.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 09, 2019, 10:14:33 PM
If I'm correctly remembering a post from one of the D3 guys (Ryan Scott?), he also broke the all-time 3-year scoring record.

I said that, but he didn't.  I forgot the great Greg Grant was only a three year player, so his 2600+ points will probably not be touched - unless Francis goes for 100 or so in each of the next two games.  Aston will have to settle for second highest three year scoring total ever.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

This sets the stage for Wheaton's Fort Wayne semifinal next Friday night against UW-Oshkosh, which will be a rematch of this season's Lee Pfund Classic championship game. Wheaton beat UWO in that game, 86-74, as Francis scored 45 points on 12-29 shooting en route to being named the Will Landry MVP of the Pfund. His opposite number, the estimable Ben Boots of the Titans (this season's WIAC POY) had a very quiet six points that night on 2-15 shooting. Don't look for lightning to strike twice in terms of Boots going 2-15 from the field.

Gregory Sager

One final question:

Did Mike Schauer end up getting tossed into the Carver Center pool?

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 09, 2019, 10:49:03 PM
One final question:

Did Mike Schauer end up getting tossed into the Carver Center pool?

A promise is a promise I think . . .