Georgetown exploring Division III

Started by Pat Coleman, May 04, 2011, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

This is the NAIA school in Kentucky, not the former football D-III member in D.C.

http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2011/05/georgetown-exploring-d3
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

Potential PBK chapter means the SCAC could be one possibility down the road.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 04, 2011, 02:39:57 PM

And they're not too far out of the NCAC footprint either, if that conference were ever interested.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 04, 2011, 05:38:54 PM

And they're not too far out of the NCAC footprint either, if that conference were ever interested.

Crawfordsville, IN to Meadville, PA is only a footprint if you're Paul Bunyan. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 04, 2011, 07:27:52 PM

Crawfordsville, IN to Meadville, PA is only a footprint if you're Paul Bunyan. ;)

Whose footprint is Colorado Springs, CO to Atlanta, GA?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on May 04, 2011, 09:08:44 PM

Well, since Paul Bunyan is the mythical, larger-than-life hero of the North, the SCAC's parallel should be a mythical, larger-than-life hero of the South.

Therefore, the footprint of Colorado Springs, CO to Atlanta, GA belongs to either Robert E. Lee or Richard Petty. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Another travel partner for Centre, and only an hour away.

Mr. Ypsi

Pat, my initial reaction was - OMG, Georgetown is leaving the Big East to go d3?! :o

Would it have been too much to add (KY) in the initial thread name?! ;D

Or were you still in the April Fool's mindset?

Pat Coleman

Nope, it wouldn't have been too much but I did put it in the headline of the story on the site and specified it on Twitter. In all honesty, I didn't think this audience would think Georgetown (D.C.) was leaving D-I.

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 04, 2011, 10:03:21 PM

Well, since Paul Bunyan is the mythical, larger-than-life hero of the North, the SCAC's parallel should be a mythical, larger-than-life hero of the South.

Therefore, the footprint of Colorado Springs, CO to Atlanta, GA belongs to either Robert E. Lee or Richard Petty. ;)

I always thought John Henry was the larger-than-life hero of the south, but it's hard to argue against the Dukes of Hazard car.

Ron Boerger

The SCAC could really benefit from CC going D2.    NCAC would be a decent fit for these guys too.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 05, 2011, 12:09:40 AM

The SCAC could really benefit from CC going D2.    NCAC would be a decent fit for these guys too.
I really agree, especially now that they don't have football!

BUBeaverFan

I wonder if a move like this would have any impact on what Kentucky Wesleyan eventually decides to do?  Kentucky Wesleyan has a new President coming on board and apparently a new A.D. The D2 boards folks hope these changes signal a decision to stay where they are in the GLVC. 

Just Bill

Quote from: BUBeaverFan on May 05, 2011, 08:45:55 AM
I wonder if a move like this would have any impact on what Kentucky Wesleyan eventually decides to do?  Kentucky Wesleyan has a new President coming on board and apparently a new A.D. The D2 boards folks hope these changes signal a decision to stay where they are in the GLVC. 

Get enough Kentucky schools and maybe someday we'll see a KIAC! Let's figure it out now: would it be pronounced Kee-yak or Ki-yak?  The WIAC people have been arguing this for years.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BUBeaverFan

Quote from: Just Bill on May 05, 2011, 09:12:11 AM
Quote from: BUBeaverFan on May 05, 2011, 08:45:55 AM

Get enough Kentucky schools and maybe someday we'll see a KIAC! Let's figure it out now: would it be pronounced Kee-yak or Ki-yak?  The WIAC people have been arguing this for years.

It has surprised me that a number of schools in the current  NAIA KIAC haven't made the switch to NCAA DIII or for some others NCAA DII.