FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Words or Less

Quote from: doolittledog on December 10, 2012, 09:56:40 PM
Wait a minute...Ohle left Wartburg, a Lutheran college for Gustavus Adolphus...another Lutheran college.  Now the Luther College president is stepping down after this year.  I see where 5WOL is going with this.  Luther needs to hire Ohle as president and then watch the football titles come rolling into Decorah!!!

Now THAT would create some drama around here ;D

Tear down the fieldhouse ... ol' Jack's a comin'  ;)

warthog

From an article about the Ohle situation:

He boils the conflict down to a difference in the President's personality and leadership style and how it contrasts with that of the faculty.

"The best way we can illustrate [the conflict] is the different personality styles. [President Ohle] has a certain way of leadership whereas Gustavus has had a long tradition of how we move forward. Gustavus tends to be more of an egalitarian culture. We all depend on each other."

"Without criticism of President Ohle, he has a leadership style that's very much, 'let's go forward.' He's a unilateral decision maker, and that just doesn't mix well [with the faculty]."

I would agree, Ohle's style is: Let's go forward.
I'm not sure that is so bad.
Sounds like the faculty not only wants to stir the broth. but they also want to pick the recipe.  Too many chefs ruin the stew.
BE ORANGE

hazzben

^ yeah, I read the stuff and was left with the same impression. And college faculty can be a pretty prickly, privileged, 'know it all' bunch. Not the easiest group to lead, that's for sure.

doolittledog

Just looking at conference schedules for next year.

Dubuque, Loras, Luther, Wartburg get 4 home and 3 away games.
BVU, Central, Coe, Simpson get 3 home and 4 away games. 

BVU  Looks like a tough road to hoe.
Coe
@ Wartburg
@ Central
Loras
@ Luther
@ Simpson
Dubuque

Central LWWWWLL???
@ Dubuque
@ Simpson
BVU
Luther
@ Loras
@ Wartburg
Coe

Coe 3 Home/4 Away hurt, but the Kohawks should still be confident
@ BVU
@ Loras
Dubuque
Simpson
@ Wartburg
Luther
@ Central

Dubuque Starting with 3 of 4 at home helps. 

Central
Luther (Homecoming)
@ Coe
Wartburg
@ Simpson
Loras
@ BVU

Loras 4 home games and 1 of 3 away games is down the street at UD...nice

@ Luther
Coe
Simpson
@ BVU
Central
@ Dubuque
Wartburg

Luther Only school to alternate Home/Away throughout the conference schedule

Loras
@ Dubuque
Wartburg
@ Central
BVU
@ Coe 
Simpson

Simpson  If Storm can find themselves a new defense, Cen/DBQ/BVU at home helps.

@ Wartburg
Central
@ Loras
@ Coe
Dubuque
BVU
@ Luther

Wartburg  Getting Sim/BVU/Coe/Cen all at home could bode well for the Knights. 

Simpson
BVU
@ Luther
@ Dubuque 
Coe
Central
@ Loras

Willie University

Quote from: doolittledog on December 08, 2012, 07:25:41 PM
Wyatt Hanus played the 2nd half for the North team in the D3 Senior Classic yesterday.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2012/12/d3-senior-classic-boxscore.XML

His stats were 13-21-187yds 2TD 0Int

Not too shabby considering never playing with any of those guys or coaches before. I sincerely hope Wyatt tries to play after college somewhere. I think he has the tools to play at a higher level including physical stature. I am not saying NFL but hopefully some higher level. Have they released who the final 4 for the Gagliardi Trophy are yet?

Willie U

DBQ1965

Quote from: Willie University on December 11, 2012, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: doolittledog on December 08, 2012, 07:25:41 PM
Wyatt Hanus played the 2nd half for the North team in the D3 Senior Classic yesterday.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2012/12/d3-senior-classic-boxscore.XML

His stats were 13-21-187yds 2TD 0Int

Not too shabby considering never playing with any of those guys or coaches before. I sincerely hope Wyatt tries to play after college somewhere. I think he has the tools to play at a higher level including physical stature. I am not saying NFL but hopefully some higher level. Have they released who the final 4 for the Gagliardi Trophy are yet?

Willie U

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2012/12/gagliardi-down-to-final-four
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

Kohawk Krazy

Frank Weymiller also had four solo tackles in the D3 Senior Classic.

notlongago

Quote from: doolittledog on December 11, 2012, 02:10:07 PM

Central LWWWWLL???
@ Dubuque
@ Simpson
BVU
Luther
@ Loras
@ Wartburg
Coe

Central will be favorites vs DBQ and a push vs wartburg, and Coe is very up in the air right now (even though I think they will be just fine). Not saying Central goes undefeated in conference, but that would be much more likely than them going 0-3 vs DBQ, Wartburg, and Coe.

DBQ loses too much from a team that a juvenile Central team beat. Wartburg will be a helluva game like it has been the past 8 years or so. Coe will still probably have Centrals number, but that late in the year its too hard to predict.

Willie University

Quote from: notlongago on December 12, 2012, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: doolittledog on December 11, 2012, 02:10:07 PM

Central LWWWWLL???
@ Dubuque
@ Simpson
BVU
Luther
@ Loras
@ Wartburg
Coe

Central will be favorites vs DBQ and a push vs wartburg, and Coe is very up in the air right now (even though I think they will be just fine). Not saying Central goes undefeated in conference, but that would be much more likely than them going 0-3 vs DBQ, Wartburg, and Coe.

DBQ loses too much from a team that a juvenile Central team beat. Wartburg will be a helluva game like it has been the past 8 years or so. Coe will still probably have Centrals number, but that late in the year its too hard to predict.

I hope everyone keeps thinking that and UD gets a pre-season rank of 7th again. Last time that happened, the Spartans steamrolled a "mature" central team. I'm not worried, losing to central was a fluke this year. The better overall team did not win that game no matter what shade your glasses are tinted.

doolittledog

This time of year everyone can make a case for why they think their team is better than other teams.  I am of the opinion that Dubuque could have a very good season next year. 

But, to paraphrase Jeff Bridges from 'The Big Lebowski' - Yeah, well...that's just like, my opinion, man.

After 2011 Dubuque lost the all-time NCAA leading receiver Michael Zweifel, the 3rd leading receiver in UD history Demacus Fleming, the all time leading rusher in UD history Justin Spaulding and the right side of their O-line.  For 2012 Wyatt Hanus went on to pass for 1/2 a yard less per game than he had the previous year.  Kyle Acker rushed for 993 yards.  The UD offense went on and prospered without the players they lost to graduation.  For 2013 on offense UD loses Hanus at QB, Skaife at C, Hookstead at TE.  All 1st team IIAC pics.  But, UD went from Jackson to Hansen to Hanus at QB...continuing on to Fry in 2013 at QB will hopefully be just as successful.  Hookstead was a great TE, but I like what I see in Lee Jones and Tyler Dobratz at TE.  Richard Skaife went down with a season ending knee injury and was replaced with Michael Murphy and UD went on a 3 game winning streak to close out the year.  The rest of the offense returns.  UD should be fine on offense in 2013. 

On defense UD loses 5 starters.  2 on the line, 2 linebackers, 1 safety.  Marice Hill was 2nd team IIAC DE, Trevor Runkle was 2nd team IIAC LB, Malcolm Stewart was 1st team IIAC Safety.  While those are bigger holes to fill than on offense for UD, knowing what they have in the pipeline, the coaches seem confident for next year on the D side of things. 

How UD does in the non-con portion of the schedule could go a long ways towards determining how the Spartans do during the conference portion of the schedule.  I am confident, but I should be as a fan. 

DutchFan2004

Quote from: hazzben on December 10, 2012, 11:02:43 PM
Quote from: DutchFan2004 on December 10, 2012, 09:23:09 PM
Quote from: hazzben on December 10, 2012, 05:55:15 PM
Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on December 10, 2012, 04:26:55 PM
I will admit that I can't think of the relevance, but I thought it interesting that, in the last 5 years, Central beat two of Saturday's semi-finalists (St Thomas, UWOshkosh) and lost to a third (Mary Hardin Baylor) by a whisker.  Maybe the significance is playing Central makes you better.

Can't speak to the other results. But the year Central beat UST, everybody beat UST. They were 2-8, with victories against Carleton and Augsburg. They even lost Hamline  :o

One of those years that they beat UST they beat BU as well.

They sure did...a 5 - 5 Bethel team if I remember correctly. We rolled up 500+ yds of offense to Centrals 200ish (??) and still managed to lose.  :o Tommie Davis, starting center, dominated the Dutch NG like I've never seen. Then, mid-3rd quarter got rolled up on and blew out an ACL. Devastating injury for an amazing player who was never quite the same. Dutch coaches came into the locker room, searched out the Bethel Oline coach and commented they hadn't been run on like that in a long, long time. Phil Porta was something special though. Still can't believe we lost. Central punter had some amazing punts and field position was a major factor. Weird game, weird loss. But as they say, the only stat that matters...

Your memory is pretty good on that game.  Hard to win a game though no matter what the yardage is when you throw a pick six.  To me that was the turning point in the game.  Yards me nothing except for fodder on message boards.  That year Augustana also rolled up a bunch of running yards on the Dutch if memory serves. Porta was a gifted running back.  The pick six and the last play of the game was the two decisive plays.  I still can't understand why your coach ran the ball on that play with as little time was on the clock. 
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

warthog

Are other recruiters out in force this week?

We have UD Spartan coaches sniffing around our neck of the woods this week.    ???  :-\

I wish they would head back up to Dubuque County and leave Scott, Clinton, Muscatine, Cedar, and Des Moines Counties to their old teammates from Wartburg.  ;)
BE ORANGE

notlongago

Gotta love pokin the DBQ faithful...they're the only ones who really get up in arms when you disagree with their opinions. Makes for an entertaining off season.

doolittledog

Quote from: notlongago on December 12, 2012, 08:54:20 PM
Gotta love pokin the DBQ faithful...they're the only ones who really get up in arms when you disagree with their opinions. Makes for an entertaining off season.

Sigh,  I remember the days when a poster could actually list reasons why they thought a team would be good/bad the next season, then we might get a whole page worth of replies from others that would come on and state why they thought that poster was full of it or expand on that thought with more reasons why they thought the original poster was correct in their analysis. 

Now, we just get a bland 'you lose too much to win next year' comment.  When other posters give reasons why they think you're wrong, and hope to get back a reply that better states the origional posters opinion, all we get is basically a 'ha ha, you're upset' type of reply.  Oh well, I guess. 

NewKnightDad

Unless Wartburg improves a bunch on the o-line they are going to be in for another 6-4 type of year.

Not the insightful prognostication you were looking for, it is the best I can do at this time.  ;)
Win or lose we still booze!!