Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, March 01, 2005, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warriorcat

Big win for Salve against Middlebury this afternoon.  Down by three at the half, they hung tough and earned a hard fought win against one of the elite programs in the region.  Barrett Hanlon was once again the glue that kept the Seahawks together.  If not for some terrible free throw shooting in the last two minutes (six straight misses) they would have won going away.  Now the Conference schedule lies ahead and there will be no one not being ready for them.  Good luck against Nichols on Saturday.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Big win. The 'what if' of Pringle's injury is becoming more and more interesting every game.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Tomorrow:

WIT @ GC
NC @ SRU
UNE @ EC
WNE @ RWU
ENC @ CC

warriorcat

A different story for Salve today although the same result.  They fell behind Nichols with nearly nine minutes remaining in the first half and did not regain the until there were five minutes left in the game.   When they took the lead for good with 3:24 left they closed the game out with great defense ( 4 pts and no Nichols' field goals in the final 4:54) and excellent free throw shooting (8-9 in last five minutes).  It was great to see them not let down after their win over Middlebury on Thursday. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Endicott had to go to OT to beat UNE.  Either UNE picked up some players for second semester or EC's chemistry woes are rearing their heads again.

ENC with a big win over Curry.  I did not expect a score like that.  They are very likely for real.

At this point, though, you have to have Salve as big conference favorites, with Endicott the challengers if they pull it together.  We'll see how they match up tomorrow:

SRU @ EC
WIT @ UNE
NC @ CC
RWU @ ENC
GC @ WNE

warriorcat

Congratulations to Endicott on their win over Salve tonight in Beverly.  Even though they fell behind by as many as 12 points early in the first half they scratched their way to a 35-35 tie at the half and took over the game in the second half pushing their lead to as many as 12 points but not allowing Salve closer than five.  An outstanding shooting performance by John Henault who led all scorers with 26 points.  He was 9-13 from the field including 6-7 from beyond the arc.  Each of those three pointers seemed to stop Seahawk rallys late in the game.  Salve's top three scorers Dinneen (23), Hanlon (18), and Bielefeld (17) once again lead the visitors.

So after tonight's games there is now five teams tied for first in the Conference at 3-1.  Every night will be a battle.

warriorcat

Salve Regina improved to 9-3 , 4-1 in the CCC, with a 69-59 win over UNE.  Not a particularly impressive performance over a gutsy UNE squad.  The top three scorers once again led the Seahawks - Hanlon 18  Dineen 16 (4-5 from beyond the arc) Bielefeld 14 with 12 rebs. 

Updated Standings

Eastern Nazarene             4-1
Endicott                             4-1
Nichols                               4-1
Salve Regina                      4-1
Gordon                               3-2
Wentworth                         3-2
Curry                                  1-4
Roger Williams                    1-4
U of New England               1-4
Western New England        0-5

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, some interesting results this week.  I've been offline for most of it - I blew out my a/c adapter with static electricity on Monday night.  I'm impressed with some of these results - I didn't expect ENC to take both games.  We seem to be seeing a demarcation between the top six and the bottom four.  It will be interesting to see if anyone's fortunes turn around.  There's still a long way to go.

warriorcat

Good back and forth game between Gordon and Salve this afternoon.  This was my first look at Miersma and Thomas and they are both special players.  Gordon did what they needed to to win today.  I was wondering when poor free throw shooting would cost Salve a game.

What a stunning result in Springfield - WNEC 79  Eastern Nazarene  76 ! 

This is going to be a very competitive league.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: warriorcat on January 11, 2014, 07:15:09 PM

What a stunning result in Springfield - WNEC 79  Eastern Nazarene  76 ! 

Well, it looks like ENC's lack of height finally came back to bite them.  Rinaldi had 22 and 17 and got to the line a lot.  Foul trouble for ENC (WNE shot 36 FTs), plus poor shooting on their end (under 40% overall).  Bad combination.

warriorcat

As a new follower to the CCC it looks like a very competitive group of teams.  When a 0-5 team beats a 4-1 team anything can happen.

jackson5

WNEC is better than their record shows. They were in the Curry and UNE games to the final minute and refused to let Nichols stomp  on their throats to until the last minute of the game. They could easily be 3-3 right now. Rinaldi and Askew are two of the top forwards in the league their issue is that they don't have any guard play. When they can get any production out of their guards, like they did yesterday against ENC they can be a tough team to beat.

warriorcat

Thanks for the insight on WNEC.  It seems that very few of the games in the Conference have been blowouts and that the records do not necessarily dictate what will happen on any given night. 

On a separate note,  I got to see Zach Askew a number of times during his post graduate year.  He is a great young man and a good student.

warriorcat

Salve held off ENC on the road for a crucial 78-69 victory.  Good free throw shooting down the stretch allowed Salve to win comfortably.  A weird 7 point trip (three point play, two technical free throws, and a basket) at the 3:13 mark allowed ENC to trim a nine point Salve lead to two.  The Seahawks outscored the Lions 12-5 (6-6 from the line) in the final three minutes to close it out.  Once again, every Conference game is a battle and the teams stay bunched at the top.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: warriorcat on January 15, 2014, 08:56:50 PM
Salve held off ENC on the road for a crucial 78-69 victory.  Good free throw shooting down the stretch allowed Salve to win comfortably.  A weird 7 point trip (three point play, two technical free throws, and a basket) at the 3:13 mark allowed ENC to trim a nine point Salve lead to two.  The Seahawks outscored the Lions 12-5 (6-6 from the line) in the final three minutes to close it out.  Once again, every Conference game is a battle and the teams stay bunched at the top.

ENC is really going to struggle without stronger rebounding.  I think they can overcome a bad shooting night, but not without some boards.