WBB: Northwest Conference

Started by swiss, March 07, 2005, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiss

The Bruins dropped one spot in the D3Hoops Poll to 7th (no telling why) but have jumped up to 5th in the WCBA poll.  The recognition is nice, but polls create increasingly high expectations in fans and always greater motivation for the opponent.  We'll still have to see how well this solid and deep basketball team fares in managing the emotional pressures of competition.

swiss

Well, there doesn't seem to be much to talk about right now in the NWC.  The Bruins have regained the spot they lost on the D3Hoops poll... now back at 6th with one first place vote.  Southern Maine gets the other 24.  So... I guess it's safe to assume that at least one of the 25 coaches/SIDs is from the west coast. 

Linfield gets two votes.  L&C probably deserves a few too.

andrewf

Yeah I'd say one of the voters is from the west coast, possibly could've even had their team play Fox and were impressed.  Odd to see a 6th ranked team with a first place vote.

swiss

No #1's for Fox in the WBCA poll but they have moved up from 5th to 3rd this week.

swiss

For any of you poll watchers:  Southern Maine (currently ranked #1 in D3Hoops with 24 1st place votes) got beat over the weekend by Salem State so there will likely be some reshuffling in the polls that come out tomorrow.

parklandpride

Is Brandi Loring done for the year? That knee looked pretty braced up on Saturday. Hate seeing things like that, senior year and all. One of the best players in the conference, hope she has a speedy recovery.

-PP
2006 NWC Champions, NWC Tournament Champions, Sweet 16

rimshot

Polls don't matter---this early---wins do---GFU seems to be in total control able to play the uptempo and hit the 3-ball or a defensive struggle--just look at WOU box scores.

PLU should get votes not LC---but rember polls don't matter. It seems several teams have players out, missing, injured---not showing up in the box scores.  Did Brandi hurt her knee--when?  Anyone know why the Roberts girl from UPS is not playing?  Is Whitman all healthy again?  PLU seems to have everyone back according to press releases.

Is there a team in the NWC that can beat GFU----PLU seems to have everyone on the same page. 

swiss

RS:  I agree, PLU should get some votes (so it's a good thing polls don't matter ;D).  However, Linfield... now 7-3, gets 4 votes and PLU... 7-1 gets none.  Go figure!  What happened to PLU's web site anyway?

For those that pay attention to the "insignificant" polls, there's an interesting thread in the Daily Dose that debates whether Southern Maine should keep their number one spot following their loss to Salem State.  They did... barely.  Although, I'd love to see the Bruins take them on this afternoon.

BTW:  I do think polls matter... to fans and players, not particularly to coaches.  It puts a pressure on the coach that is pretty unreasonable.  Determining the "best" team is a very fluid process that has to take into account so many variables and intangibles that much of the objectivity is lost.  In the end, one has to say the last team standing is the "best" team.  In the meantime, what's important for coaches and players it to make a commitment to give their best to each battle or each challenge they face, letting the polls take care of themselves.  But, for us fans, polls give us something to talk about.

swiss

PLU's web site is back online.

GFU moved up to number 2 in the WBCA poll behind Washington U.  Seems to me the WBCA has a clearer notion of the top 10 than D3Hoops but, of course, that's debatable.

PLU did get one vote in the WBCA, Linfield did not.  So, that seems more on track too.

parklandpride

There isn't enough national media coverage for all the voters to know what teams are doing or how they are really playing (Nationally). No one on the east coast has any real idea what is going on with NWC teams. Fox is an easy pick, they were almost a final four team last year and since their tourney loss are posting a perfect record. Started high, staying high. Despite the strong start I would argue that Rueck wished Liz and Kellie were still playing. Linfield made some noise early on getting a win against D2 NNU, but since losing their best player, have lost twice to Warner Pac, and once to Clairmont MS (SCIAC). You think anyone other than the one NWC voter knows that Loring is out and what the means to her team? I do like how they still have last years team picture posted...i found myself asking if Heidi Jurgens was every going to graduate?

For the record, PLU doesnt deserve anything yet either. 7-1 is a solid start, but a 3 minute 10 point meltdown to TESU shows they still have some work to do. Of course the 10 pt comback against Warner was a nice bounce back and the win at Corban was solid, there is still alot for PLU to improve to consider them a top 25. Other than Mann, Turner and Long (returning Anna Sticklin), this is a brand spanking new squad. Bet no one outside of Washington knows that PLU has a started from last year that is out for the season as well.

The polls do serve a purpose, they give fans a chance to get interested in hoops before conference starts. All this out of conference jockying is interesting, but what these teams are going to do in conference is more telling than any national poll. Wasn't Carleton (MIAC) #3 in the nation last year before they made the NWC tour and walked away 0-3? Some poll.

L&C is more dangerous than ever before, right Suzy? So watch for them. If Linfield can figure out who is going to be their go to scorer (Don't say Bayley Coblentz, she seems to want to pass 1st) they could do some damage still. UPS can score, so wins are possible, but can they defend (losses are also possible). Fox has played only one team with a winning record (Southern Oregon) and beat up a D2 school with no wins (Western Oregon 0-8). PLU has notched some solid wins (Chapman, Corban) and handed away a game (Evergreen), so consistancy and maturity are still a question. Willamette is starting over (V. Wyffles/J. Short sitings? anyone?). Pacific will win a few here and there, because DeeDee Arnell has always had the numbers, but she also seems to have matured and is playing amazing basketball. Whitman seems to have gone soft, but is never easy in Walla x2 and Speer and Shogren-less Whitworth is still going to make every game a game and will beat the 1st team that doesnt respect them.

Enough of the pre-conference mojo...January can't get here soon enough. Merry Christmas (I can say Christmas on this board can't I?) to you all.

-PP

rimshot

P.P.
It seems you have more inside information than the coaches of the NWC--how do you attend so many games?  When I stated polls don't matter---maybe I should  have said---Polls don't win you games---Polls create chatter, which anything that brings women's (or men's) DIII basketball up in a conversation is okay by me.

As for your remarks--interesting, insightful are you sure you don't talk to the coaches and get scoop?  I still say GFU is taking the NWC---PLU will ride defense to 2nd place and 3rd is up for grabs to any team with 5 or less in the loss column?  Agree?   If what you say is correct then.... LC should ask Santa for continued hot shooting, Maybe UPS should ask for defense, Whitman for health and a chip on their shoulders, Linfield for a couple of scorers and Whitworth for all home games----and maybe Pacific for another DD.

Happy holidays

swiss

I don't have a sense of all of teams in the NWC like PP, but I have seen most of the Bruin games the last two years.  Injuries are certainly one of those variables that can dramatically impact a team's fortunes during a season.  The Bruin's Karissa Boyd is out for the year with a torn ACL.  The loss of a true point guard like KB who sees the floor so well and for whom assists are more important than points is a difficult obstacle to overcome for any team.  However, the Bruins have a lot of depth and in addition to Tiffany Behary, the starting PG, there are 4 or 5 other players that can handle the ball with their head up and enough confidence to make the offence work.  Still, when injuries occur to key players, rotations have to change and players are sometimes forced out of their most natural positions, so it remains to be seen how her loss will impact this team over the course of the season. 

My own "moderately biased" opinion ;) is that this team is much stronger than they have appeared so far.  If they avoid further injuries (always a big IF), if they stay focused, and if Kim Leith, Erin Powers, and Robin Taylor provide the kind of upper classman leadership that Liz & Kellie did last year, I think (as do the polls) they can play with any DIII team in the nation.  Their defense has been very good, creating multiple turnovers, and their offensive potential is huge if they will play together.

This is a team that has yet to really click offensively (the first WOU game being the exception).  All of them can score (virtually the whole roster) from most anywhere on the court; so they won't be an easy team to stop.  But they'd be impossible to stop if they will add in an extra pass or two.  They are tall, they are quick, and they can jump.  Most of the time they have been tenacious on the offensive boards.  I didn't look at their overall stats but my impression is that they give up too many second chances on the defensive end.

One of the biggest challenges of the year for them might be playing Biola during the upcoming Southern California trip.  Biola has a 6-6 post who apparently can put the ball in the basket.  To start the year they threatened Seattle Pacific and lost a heartbreaker to Central Washington, so we know they can play.  Hopefully, SR and the Bruins will have an answer for the Nigerian, Ogugua. 

I also send Holiday Greetings and a Merry Christmas to all the players, coaches and fans of the NWC.  Enjoy your break, but then let the battles begin!

parklandpride

Ironically, of all the teams in the NWC, Fox is one i havent seen. The closest i have seen to a Fox hoops game is Kellie Thomas (not sure her new last name) shooting 3 pointers at a half time contest at Corban.

I don't have "more" insider information, but i do get a chance to talk with several of the coaches on a regular basis. The NWC has a really good group of head coaches and assistants, most of them just good people that like talking hoops. How do i get to so many games? Sometimes i am asked to watch a specific game and the other times I just pick one and go. You would be amazed at the conference chatter you can get talking to parents, if you can see through all the bias. SID's are good conversation as well, and there are some awesome SID's in the NWC. You dont have to be Dick Vital to get the scoop on the league, you just have to watch games, talk to fans and let a coach know you enjoyed watching their team play that night. Its a good conference, great players and awesome coaches.

I would agree that you have to pick Fox as the favorite, but again, they have had a pretty easy non-conference schedule (if you go by opponent records) and the things that Liz Clark did last year (so much you dont see in a box score) are hard to replace. Until they are beaten, i wont say anyone is better, but you have to ask yourself if the schedule they play is getting them ready for NWC play. I am sure Coach Rueck will make sure they are ready to go.

L&C's hot start isnt something Santa can control (although he's making a list i hear) unless Coach Fulks has another winter job involving a big red suit. The biggest difference in the Pio's, she has them believing they can and should win games. L&C has been a door mat for several years, even with talent, but now they believe they can win, and are going to put themselves in position for a spot in the NWC tourney. I have yet to meet Coach Fulks, but hope to.

I guess i could write about everyone tonight, but i won't. What i will do is encourage everyone to actually attend a game that your favorite team ISNT playing in. If you put yourself in another gym and don't have team bias on your mind, it is amazing how much you can witness and learn about this conference and it's teams. I have found the overall experience more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I have my favorite, my alma mater and my former head coach, but basketball is basketball and we are blessed to live close to an amazing conference. Take advantage of it anyway you can.

swiss

PP--  "Kellie Thomas Fiegi": Husband is Eric Fiegi (Corban's 6'9", 27 ppg post) and brother in law is Ryan Fiegi (OIT's 16.3 ppg guard).  If you could purchase basketball stock, that family is going to be a definite BUY.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: swiss on December 20, 2005, 05:31:39 PM
GFU moved up to number 2 in the WBCA poll behind Washington U.  Seems to me the WBCA has a clearer notion of the top 10 than D3Hoops but, of course, that's debatable.

They have a notion you agree with. That doesn't make it more clear or more correct. :)

We both have west coast voters, different people of course. The WBCA poll has 12.5% of its voters from the Pacific Time Zone, a bit disproportional considering that only about 4% of the Division III women's basketball teams are on the west coast. So you can expect the NWC to do disproportionately better in the WBCA poll.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.