FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NescacPhanatic

I'd be curious to hear perspectives regarding the impact of the new 2019 schedule to what may be changes in the standings
Thoughts?

Trin9-0

Quote from: nescac1 on March 04, 2019, 12:11:14 PM
I think this is harder in football than in other sports, but here are a few young players to keep an eye on next year, NBC93:

OJ Armstrong, Tufts -- very quick receiver who should get a lot of opportunities given that the Tufts' receiving corp is decimated by graduation.
Dan Vaughn, Williams -- an impressive athlete who was forced to move from QB to WR mid-season due to injuries in the receiving corp and showed a lot of promise that may be realized with a full off-season (I assume) at the position. 
David Estevez, Wesleyan -- highly touted recruit who should be a key player for the Cards next year either at WR or QB or both
Brian Casagrande, Trinity -- another highly touted recruit who is likely to emerge as a starter next year for the Bantams' always-loaded LB unit

Fully agree with you regarding Casagrande. The fact that he played as much as he did as a freshmen is impressive given the typical depth Trinity has at that position. I think he's a strong candidate to continue the legacy of great Bantam linebackers.

Another sophomore to keep an eye on is Spencer Lockwood. The former CT high school player of the year is the odds-on favorite to replace Chipouras as the Bant's feature back. Most of his carries last season came late in blowout games but he did average 6.4 yards per carry and scored 5 touchdowns.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

nescac1

I was thinking Lockwood but figured he was too productive / prominent a player to even warrant mentioning.  Between those two, Lambert, Levine, and who knows who else, Trinity's absolutely massive rising sophomore class is gonna be tough to deal with for a LONG time. 

amh63

Trin8-0.....you are starting to scare me with all this talk wrt Bantam talent...in the midst of March Madness too! :).   Just kidding here.
In response to the earlier poster's question on next season.....good news for Amherst in that both Midd and the Bantams play at Pratt Field.  Still Amherst goes to Williams and the Tufts for expected battles. Believe in recent history,  Amherst tend to be more successful against such tough opponents.  Wrt to the Cardinals....in Middletown?  It will be a toss-up in Ct.

Trin9-0

Quote from: nescac1 on March 08, 2019, 02:40:53 PM
I was thinking Lockwood but figured he was too productive / prominent a player to even warrant mentioning.  Between those two, Lambert, Levine, and who knows who else, Trinity's absolutely massive rising sophomore class is gonna be tough to deal with for a LONG time.

I wouldn't say Lockwood was a prominent player for Trinity last season. He had a total of 1 carry in the Bantams' four closes games (Williams, Tufts, Amherst, Wesleyan). Again, he was fantastic in mop-up duty against the lower-tier teams but the average margin of victory in those games was 41 points. Regardless, I agreed with you that the future is bright in Hartford.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

letsgo!

One school has their schedule up. I know most all games are played Saturday at 1:00. The night games seem like a great idea. Tufts and Wesleyan Saturday night at 6:00.

https://www.nescac.com/sports/fball/2019-20/schedule

PBPOP20

Lumbercat....  any feedback out of Brunswick on the new coaches,  or where JB Wells will end up?

lumbercat

PBPOP20
It is time for a reply and update on the CBB- on a personal note I wish your boy the best--assume his temporary address these days is the Bowdoin weight room.

There have been coaching changes at each of the CBB schools and here is an overview on the Maine schools at this point-

Colby- Nothing more to say than Cosgrove seems to have the whole deal nailed. Wrapped up his recruiting class early while Bates and Bowdoin are still scrambling. Colby admissions is playing ball and as loose as ever with Football and Basketball. Cosgrove arrived at the right time or has the persuasive knack with admissions on Mayflower Hill- he is getting any recruit he asks for.

Sorry to bring this up but the 2011 scandal surrounding one of the best QBs in Colby history is now far enough in the rear view mirror to a point where Colby is back to the standards of the 2000-2010 era where just about anyone the Football program has targeted is getting in. Colby is the clear CBB favorite going forward.

Very different admissions structure remains at Bowdoin and Bates. Extreme commitment to winning at Colby while they build the new mega Athletic complex.

Gotta get back to March Madness- Bowdoin and Bates to follow.

PB1918

Colby is going to optional SAT/ACT scores too, which will help.  I am not sure when that takes affect.  I can't tell you how many recruits over the last few years who Colby wanted, who wanted to go to Colby, but were excluded due to the standardized test scores only.

lumbercat

Thats always been the case but in recent years things were a lot tighter with many of those who met the testing criteria and still didn't get in. Most of those recruits are getting in now like pre 2011.
Cosgrove had 28 recruits signed sealed and delivered in record time this year. That hasn't happened in Waterville in quite some time.

amh63

Though immersed in D1 March Madness lately.....dropped in on this board to cite a news story on the Amherst website that may impact future posts here.
At 18:21 military notation time, Amherst has provided general info on next year's entering class.  Amherst is sending out acceptance notices!  11% of over 10,000 plus applicants have been accepted.  Maybe more definitive info on the incoming FYs...in particular the football recruits will be available as well as the basketball student athletes, etc., etc.   Other Nescac schools have also been making similar announcements recently on their websites.
It is to be noted that this is the first incoming class that former Dean of Admission at MIT has been involved with....Head of Admission and Fin. aid....the head person....getting lost in the latest title morass these days. :'(

lumbercat

Haven't heard much about one of Maines finest JB Wells- believe he was in the mix on recent HC jobs at Elmhurst and NY Maritime. Still hoping he lands a good job. He's a football guy through and through and a damn good coach. Truth be known- scouted many of his practices over his years and have a high level of respect for the quality of his work and the way he ran that program.

Unfortunately some Bowdoin alum on Wall Street and an inside group of grey Polar Bears pulled a financial string and lapdog AD Ryan gassed JB and highly respected Wesleyan guy Shem Bloom. And while he was at it Ryan took out OC Tim Vial too.

New guy MC Hammer and his neophyte coordinators not impressing anyone in Brunswick yet. Hammer and his 2 cubs evidently entrenched in a Brunswick foxhole. Others can do the math on the combined years of experienced of the 2 guys the Hammer brought to Brunswick- neither can carry Shem Blooms jockstrap. Sad to see an experienced coach like Bloom throw in the towel and enter private business after Ryan handed him his pink slip. Good luck to Bloom but the coaching profession lost a good guy.

Ryan maybe hearing footsteps in Brunswick as well......cant remember when Bowdoin Hockey, the cornerstone of Polar Bear Athletics,  has been this bad in many years. Colby drums them on a regular basis.....Ryan has to be feeling the heat which could be a contributing factor on his pre mature knee jerk with JBW and the Football program.

quicksilver

Quote from: lumbercat on March 27, 2019, 10:34:37 PM
. .
Ryan maybe hearing footsteps in Brunswick as well......cant remember when Bowdoin Hockey, the cornerstone of Polar Bear Athletics,  has been this bad in many years. Colby drums them on a regular basis.....Ryan has to be feeling the heat which could be a contributing factor on his pre mature knee jerk with JBW and the Football program.

if Ryan is not hearing footsteps, then he is deaf as his handling of the Bowdoin men's hockey program defies explanation. Instead of conducting a proper search following the retirement of Bowdoin's long-time head hockey coach after the 2016 season, he elevated the long-time assistant coach to be the head coach even though it was obvious that he was ill equipped for the position by background and experience. What followed in rapid succession were the three worst records for the Bowdoin hockey program since the early 1960s (literally). For the second year in a row, Bowdoin did not qualify for the NESCAC play-offs this season even though 8 of 10 teams qualify and Bowdoin had never not qualified for the play-offs before the change in coach . . Hockey is not like football at Bowdoin -- there is a long and rich record of great success and an expectation of success every year. As a long-time hockey fan, I hope and believe that the status quo will not be tolerated for much longer . . . .

polbear73

Quote from: quicksilver on March 28, 2019, 12:55:47 AM
Quote from: lumbercat on March 27, 2019, 10:34:37 PM
. .

if Ryan is not hearing footsteps, then he is deaf as his handling of the Bowdoin men's hockey program defies explanation. Instead of conducting a proper search following the retirement of Bowdoin's long-time head hockey coach after the 2016 season, he elevated the long-time assistant coach to be the head coach even though it was obvious that he was ill equipped for the position by background and experience. What followed in rapid succession were the three worst records for the Bowdoin hockey program since the early 1960s (literally). For the second year in a row, Bowdoin did not qualify for the NESCAC play-offs this season even though 8 of 10 teams qualify and Bowdoin had never not qualified for the play-offs before the change in coach . . Hockey is not like football at Bowdoin -- there is a long and rich record of great success and an expectation of success every year. As a long-time hockey fan, I hope and believe that the status quo will not be tolerated for much longer . . . .
Hear, Hear!!!!!!!!!

firstdown

Lumbercat

It seems pretty clear from your comments that you aren't happy about the coaching changes at Bowdoin.  While I haven't followed Bowdoin football in the past, I have enjoyed the North Coast Conference for many years.  As has been said on this board by a number of posters from the North Coast board, Coach Hammer and Coach Cochran and Coach Layer have done a quite a good job there.  Coach Cochran comes to Bowdoin as the o line and strength and conditioning coach. Allegheny went from being pusheds around to a tough bunch from the time in the weight room. Coach Layer comes as the offensive coordinator.  Coach Layer was a quarterback college and brings several years of being a quarterback coach experience to the role as offensive coordinator.  During his tenure as O coordinator at Allegheny, the Gators offensive was quite potent.  Coach Layer designs the offense around the talent that he has rather than seeking to force the talent into a preconceived mold.  He may be a younger coach, but he knows his stuff.

Coach Hammer will also serve as the defensive coordinator and he is hardly a neophyte.  At Wabash, he defenses were consistently in the top 5 of the Division 3 defensive stats and his defense led all divisions in college football in several categories.  At Allegheny, last year, his defense was in the top 10 in Division 3 in a number of statistical categories.  Coach Hammer always believes in being well prepared, so rather than hiding in foxhole, he and the entire coaching staff have no doubt be assessing the existing talent on the team, the other teams in the conference, and planning a recruiting program.  Coach Hammer also believes in strength and conditioning off season and that will be noticeable next Fall.

Yes there has been a change in the coaching staff that you may not agree with, Coach Hammer brought the team at Allegheny that had not won a game for several years before he got there, into contending for the conference championship this past season.  Coaches Cochran and Layer were an important part of that success.  They and the existing coaching staff at Bowdoin will be working hard to achieve good results for the Polar Bears.