UAA 2018

Started by WUPHF, June 09, 2018, 09:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mondomike

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: blooter442 on September 02, 2018, 11:58:11 PM
Quote from: 4samuy on September 02, 2018, 11:54:17 PM
Greg,

Not sure I saw the take down by koh with 5 mins left but imho  The pk for trinity to tie the game was a horrible call and the tackle on koh with a minute remaining was an obvious penalty and should have been a pk.

Both of the non-calls looked like penalties to me.

The 5 minute mark is in reference to the gap between End of Regulation and start of OT.    It's the clumsy foul with 1 minute remaining.  Absolute PK and not even close.

I cannot believe a PK was called against Chicago.  It was a foul... by the Trinity attacker for pulling the Chicago defender down by the shirt.

Gregory Sager

Thanks for clearing that timeframe up. I turned on the game in the final minute of regulation.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

blooter442

One interesting thing I noticed about the U of C-Trinity game: the final whistle at the end of extra time blew exactly three hours after the scheduled start of the match. Whether or not the match started on time, I don't know — I tuned in late in the second half — but even with extra time soccer matches very rarely last three hours (from scheduled start to the final whistle) in my observation, and that goes for matches which go to PKs as well.

4samuy

The feed started on time at 8:00 central with both teams going thru pregame warm ups.  The game itself didn't start until 8:25-8:30.  I don't remember any mention as to the late start, but did go back to look at the Trinity womens result and it was at home and went 2OT.  Box score didn't give a start time but I would guess that led to the late start.

Mr.Right

Looks like Brandeis has thrown the hammer down on its athletic dept as was expected after the basketball scandal. Now we have the swimming coach in some hot water. This is some serious stuff especially in 2018 and Brandeis did the right thing here. Was a bit surprised they demoted a couple of them instead of firing them but they certainly and rightly made an example of those involved. From Deadspin:

https://deadspin.com/brandeis-cleans-house-after-investigation-into-basketba-1828811340/amp

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 04, 2018, 08:42:04 PM
Looks like Brandeis has thrown the hammer down on its athletic dept as was expected after the basketball scandal. Now we have the swimming coach in some hot water. This is some serious stuff especially in 2018 and Brandeis did the right thing here. Was a bit surprised they demoted a couple of them instead of firing them but they certainly and rightly made an example of those involved. From Deadspin:

https://deadspin.com/brandeis-cleans-house-after-investigation-into-basketba-1828811340/amp

One giant mess. Still makes me angry that this was allowed to happen, although I am not naïve enough to think this is an anomaly.

PaulNewman

Totally irritated with Univ Rochester for STILL charging to watch games, especially with one of my kids a recent graduate.  Thought they would have corrected this mistake by now.  70K a year, a supposedly thriving university, major university medical complex, and charging to watch D3 athletic events.  Will not watch. 

blooter442

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 08, 2018, 07:58:54 PM
Totally irritated with Univ Rochester for STILL charging to watch games, especially with one of my kids a recent graduate.  Thought they would have corrected this mistake by now.  70K a year, a supposedly thriving university, major university medical complex, and charging to watch D3 athletic events.  Will not watch.

I do it out of principle after paying to watch Brandeis win there, and win the UAA title, in 2015, only to see absolutely nothing because – unbeknownst to me – it doesn't work if you have an ad blocker on. Never got my money back or got to see a video of the winning goal. Ah well. Still a little bit salty, but I'd rather them win and me not see it rather than not win and see it.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Watched a good portion of the CMU vs Lycoming game Friday night. CMU looked very talented and I think they will compete with Chicago for the UAA crown. Chicago still the clear favorites but I think this team can sneak up and challenge them come conference play. Lycoming was a worthy opponent but CMU moved the ball easily against the defensive pressure and never looked disrupted when in possession. I have not looked at the preseason poll for the UAA, but based on last year and the start this season, I would rank them as follows for the league:

1. Chicago
2. Emory
T3. Rochester/CMU
5. Brandeis
6. Case Western
7. Wash U
8. NYU

Falconer

Quote from: blooter442 on September 04, 2018, 09:02:15 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on September 04, 2018, 08:42:04 PM

One giant mess. Still makes me angry that this was allowed to happen, although I am not naïve enough to think this is an anomaly.

Reading that report, it's just hard to believe that Meehan got away with stuff like that for so long. As the report says, "calling another athlete 'Jew boy,'" like really? He's expecting to get away with that at BRANDEIS? It'd be as if a coach at Messiah were to call a player a "stupid Christian," or a white coach at Howard or Fisk using the n-word toward a black player, or something along those lines. Those other things in the report are just as bad, mind you, but what could that coach possibly have been thinking? How indeed did he keep his job that long? It sounds like house cleaning was the only option.

blooter442

Quote from: Falconer on September 09, 2018, 02:36:25 PM
Reading that report, it's just hard to believe that Meehan got away with stuff like that for so long. As the report says, "calling another athlete 'Jew boy,'" like really? He's expecting to get away with that at BRANDEIS? It'd be as if a coach at Messiah were to call a player a "stupid Christian," or a white coach at Howard or Fisk using the n-word toward a black player, or something along those lines. Those other things in the report are just as bad, mind you, but what could that coach possibly have been thinking? How indeed did he keep his job that long? It sounds like house cleaning was the only option.

It's pretty absurd. I used to be the sports editor of the newspaper, but I usually made my writers cover basketball so I never dealt with the guy. Always wondered what he was like personality-wise. I suppose my answer is not acceptable to print.

It's tough, because I know some of the people named. However, clearly there were conflicts of interest that weren't addressed, let alone even acknowledged, and the lack of action was and is unacceptable. The process and administrators clearly failed the students.

Still, I commend the University President for taking swift action and not equivocating -- his leadership was admirable (and, in an unrelated note, he was at the men's soccer game the day after the report was released).

NEsoccerfan

Given the SOS for most of these teams, these pre conference game records are impressive:

Emory                6-0-0
Rochester            5-0-0
Chicago                6-0-1
Carnegie              5-0-1
Case Western     5-1-0
NYU                     5-1-0
Brandeis               2-3-0
Wash U                1-3-0

Chicago in 3rd? 6th place NYU at 5-1-0? Brandeis and Wash U at the bottom of the table? Can't wait for conference play to get going. Looks like the UAA is picking up right where it left off from last year's post season.

4samuy

UAA is going to be a blood bath. Week 2 national rankings just came out and 6 of the first 7 opponents for Chicago thus far, are ranked in their respective regions with Calvin and UAA schedule upcoming.  Whoa!

WUPHF

I am sad to see Washington University Men's Soccer in such a hole.  They will get a few quality wins before the season is over, but as far as the postseason goes, it seems likely that Bears fans will have to focus on the Women's Soccer team.

Incidentally, I am going to say it here, I think Washington University Women's Soccer team turns the tide on Chicago this season and wins the league.