"Official Thank-you Board" for the NCAA Women's Brackets.

Started by Ralph Turner, February 26, 2007, 10:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

We fans gripe a lot about the things that we don't like about the bracket, but I wanted to start a board where we fans could mention some things that we thought were equitable and sensible, within the funding restraints and the regional emphasis of D3.

I appreciate the thought that was put into the Howard Payne Triad (LaVerne at Chapman and the winner to HPU) and the sending of McMurry out to George Fox.  I thought that that gave some interesting matchups and split the potential McM and HPU match to the 3rd round.  That also gave HPU the chance to host the Sectional, with the geographic pull of a victorious McM being a bus ride to Brownwood. ;)

Go McMurry!  Go LIB!  (Ladies In Basketball!)

WLCALUM83

I was wondering what LIB stood for whenever I saw that on the ASC boards. Now I finally found out.

GAVA

I am thankful RMC gets to host the first two rounds so I can see the games. The Jackets have been amazing first year post-Silva. :)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on February 26, 2007, 01:01:56 PM
I was wondering what LIB stood for whenever I saw that on the ASC boards. Now I finally found out.

Not exactly. Their NCAA-deposed nickname was Lady Indians. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Rick Akins

Ralph:  As an HPU fan, I had assumed L.I.B. was a disguise for Lady Indian  Basketball--but I guess you cannot put that in print!!  Also, an an HPU grad and fan--WOW!!!   Yes,  we all  humbly thank the NCAA for the bye and ESPECIALLY for not having to play  McMurry(and I feared HSU)  4 times in a four week period.   I gave them grief in football over the Millsaps mappoint fiasco( I am also a UMHB fan)  so I need to applaud when what we perceive as fairness and logic prevails--at least in this one area!!

Ralph Turner

Once again, the women's brackets seem to have separated the "top seeds".

I know that women's hoops in the country seem to have pockets of quality ball, but trying to "protect" the Top 8, as Pat Coleman surmised, is commendable.

Thanks for the home game for McMurry last night.  In the last game that the seniors will play at Kimbrell Arena, Maigen Sawyer went over 1000 points for her three years at McMurry, and All-American Tarra Richardson went over 1000 rebounds and 300 blocks for her career.  She passed 2000 career points last month and went over 200 career steals in the ASC Tourney.  For the chance to do that in front of the home fans was gratifying.

I also want to thank the Women's Committee for working with Hoopsville.  We D3fans appreciate the effort that is expended by the D3hoops.com crew on behalf of D3 women's (and men's) basketball.  Having the selections announcement on Hoopsville was exciting.

You know that D3hoops is primary with this entity and not just an obligation to the membership.

LogShow

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 06, 2008, 05:40:59 PM
All-American Tarra Richardson went over 1000 rebounds and 300 blocks for her career.  She passed 2000 career points last month and went over 200 career steals in the ASC Tourney. 

Wow. now thats some really impressive career stats!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 06, 2008, 05:40:59 PM
Once again, the women's brackets seem to have separated the "top seeds".

I know that women's hoops in the country seem to have pockets of quality ball, but trying to "protect" the Top 8, as Pat Coleman surmised, is commendable.

Agreed, and while the men's seems better this year, the women's committee still does a better job.

My only quibble (and fairly minor) is I wish they had put Hope and Howard Payne (excuse me, Ralph, 'Horrid Pain' ;D) in different sectionals.  The potential for three undefeated teams in the Final Four would be a delight!  Alas, one of them must fall in the Elite Eight (IF they make it that far, of course).

LogShow

Depending on how they do...might have to start calling them "House of Payne"  :D

Ralph Turner

Quote from: LogShow on March 06, 2008, 09:01:43 PM
Depending on how they do...might have to start calling them "House of Payne"  :D
;) They have!   :D

It's a good rivalry.  The schools have been playing since the 1930's.  In the 1930's, McMurry would drive down to Brownwood and play games on Friday and Saturday.  The next year, Howard Payne would drive the 80 miles to Abilene and play a Friday and a Saturday game.

Howard Payne and McMurry would also play Trinity TX when the school was located in Waxahachie (Wahx" uh hatch' ee), just 30 miles south of Dallas.  Drive 180 miles play a game, spend the night and play again before driving home.

Ralph Turner

Reviving an old message board...

The committee had three pairs of travel orphans and did a good job of distributing them.

In southern California, Chapman and Oxy.
In the northwest, GFU and L&C.
In the ASC, HPU and Louisiana College.

You needed four flights, regardless, because we did not have  "geographic" byes to give.

Chapman (IND) hosts and will play Louisiana College (ASC).
The other game is George Fox (NWC) and Occidental (SCIAC).

The other orphans, Howard Payne (ASC) and Lewis and Clark (NWC) were sent to Coe (Iowa IAC).

HPU lost to Coe at the Holiday tourney at Concordia TX (CTX) in December.  If the HPU Lady Jackets can beat a tough L&C team, then they can get the rematch.

monsoon

Agree that the committee did a good job of splitting up the "orphans".

Wish they would have split up the @Hope pod:  Hope, DePauw, Denison & Washington U. is a heck of a four-some that certainly could have been balanced out a bit better.

David Collinge

troutman

Thank you from Gallaudet University thank you! thank you! thank you!

7express

I'd like to say thanks as a West Conn student and LEC fan.

East Conn deserved a spot in the tournament and they have a winnable first round opponent (Baruch).  Even though West Conn didn't host, they sent us to a site thats within a drivable distance so I don't have to spend the night.