BB: General West Region Discussion

Started by DIIIBASEBALLFAN, March 09, 2009, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILVBB

Crash; that is the old downtown campus field that they "abandoned" several years ago. The good news is the new facility is much nicer.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: ILVBB on January 26, 2013, 01:09:04 PM
Crash; that is the old downtown campus field that they "abandoned" several years ago. The good news is the new facility is much nicer.
Covered stands, lights, field turf, covered batting cages, nice scoreboard, large dugouts....Looks like one of the nicest facilities in the West Region
Click on link below
Concordia-Texas Field
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

Here is the new field link>

http://athletics.concordia.edu/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=71

Agree with Crash, there is probably not a better field in the West region, I hope they put in for a bid. There are plenty of hotels and Austin is an easy (and cheap) city to get to and from, plus we would not have pages and pages of comments about the weather in the Northwest.....

Whatagame

That is one great looking facility, but you gotta admit, despite the manly weather, you'll be hard-pressed to find a D3 stadium in a more spectacular natural setting than this one....Whitworth in Spokane.  Just like Crash's picture, click on photo to get bigger view.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on January 26, 2013, 12:58:00 PM
I expect in 2013 the SCIAC and the NWC to get 2 bids each to the West Regional with the remaining 2 going to ASC Pool A and SCAC Pool A.

Any guess or news on WHERE the West Regional will be held?

How about Concordia-Texas? Click on picture for larger view

That should be a good location for the West Regional.  Lots of things to do in  Austin.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Whatagame on January 26, 2013, 03:54:21 PM
That is one great looking facility, but you gotta admit, despite the manly weather, you'll be hard-pressed to find a D3 stadium in a more spectacular natural setting than this one....Whitworth in Spokane.  Just like Crash's picture, click on photo to get bigger view.

While Whitworth is a beautiful setting around the field. Lack of lights, seating, weather, grass field etc...will not make this place to be considered for hosting a regional. Upgrading the facility like Linfields field would give it a better chance but the weather is just so iffy in the NW to be considered in my opinion.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Jack Parkman

I don't see Whitworth ever hosting a regional due to the cost of flying teams there.  It is insanely expensive to fly into Spokane and the West is a region that will always have 3 or more flights.  On the flip-side, Whitworth is doing a major upgrade to their field and it looks like it is long overdue.

http://www.whitworthpirates.com/sports/bsb/2012-13/releases/Baseball_Renovations

Kudos to the staff and administration at Whitworth for getting these upgrades (that are much needed) done.  This should help them stay out of the gym for practice at the start of the season.

108 Stitches

Great to see that Concordia Tx will do the regional this year. Surprised there have been no comments so far, but as much as I enjoyed the wine country last year in Oregon, (we got REALLY lucky on the weather as it rained for a couple of days following the Regional) and the hotel situation was abysmal.

Austin is a great town, with lots of restaurants, hotels, easy access, reasonable flights, and a fantastic field. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy it in May. I am sure the Concordia folks will put on a great event.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2013/01/west-regional

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 05, 2013, 11:26:01 AM
Great to see that Concordia Tx will do the regional this year. Surprised there have been no comments so far, but as much as I enjoyed the wine country last year in Oregon, (we got REALLY lucky on the weather as it rained for a couple of days following the Regional) and the hotel situation was abysmal.

Austin is a great town, with lots of restaurants, hotels, easy access, reasonable flights, and a fantastic field. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy it in May. I am sure the Concordia folks will put on a great event.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2013/01/west-regional

CTX Outstanding choice. Great town, easy to get to and lots of hotels and less rain and cold than Oregon Back in 2010 Several teams had to stay in the Salem OR area a good 40+ minute bus ride one way plus games were played in freezing rain with lots of wind and rain with temps in the low 40's high 30's. Even if it rains in Austin it will at least be warmer

Ron Boerger

Yay a regional I can get to in about 20 minutes :)  Congrats CTX!!

Going to have to check the weekend to see what else might be in Austin at that time.  There are constantly major events in town (mostly revolving around the live music scene) and festivals, all of which drive up the hotel rates here.

Maybe I can rent out a room or two  ;D

Jack Parkman

I think Austin is a great spot for the Regional.  The only negative is playing on turf which is going to be very hot, but it sure beats dodging weather in other places.  I looked up the campus and see that its a little bit int he middle of nowhere but the facility looks pretty nice, especially the covered seating.  Austin should be a fun place for all to go.

Ron Boerger

Average temps in Austin this time of year - lows in the mid 60's, highs in the mid 80's, certainly can get into the 90s.

In a typical year May is also the wettest of the year (4+" in an average month), the bulk of which comes from storms that blow up along the last cold fronts to make it through until the fall.  At the same time, we've been in a drought situation for the last 3-4 years which is likely to continue into 2013. 

BigPoppa

You guys are killing me with the baseball talk... as I look of my classroom window right now, I see nothing but snow coming down sideways today:( We are at least 6 weeks away from even seeing the grass...
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

108 Stitches

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 06, 2013, 12:27:33 AM

Maybe I can rent out a room or two  ;D

If a good cook included....I'm in. (I will bring the cold beer) One alternative is that I can do a mean BBQ if you have a grill!

The new campus is a bit away from downtown, but it is an easy drive on major highways from central hotels about 20mins. There are hotels to the north that are only 5-10 minutes away.

Turf can get hot, but it beats freezing rain.

108 Stitches

BigPoppa,

I saw some posts of parents/players playing in freezing sleet in some other areas of the country from last weekend and I was thinking how lucky we are in the West. I was at the Chapman/TU games over the weekend and had to put on a hoodie sweatshirt for the evening game.....brrr.

However.....those cold weather teams get it together in time for the regionals and CWS and seem to a pretty darn good job.