BB: General West Region Discussion

Started by DIIIBASEBALLFAN, March 09, 2009, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman

My humble opinion is that the TX and NW schools will dominate the SCIAC for a while.  It seems like the quality of play in the SCIAC has dropped recently and I don't really have an answer as to why.  Chapman has really dropped off but they are still capable of beating anyone at any time.  I have always been a little tough on Trinity and UT-Tyler since they have never been to the WS but that might be changing real soon.  I think the West as a whole hasbecome much more competitive.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 17, 2014, 06:32:47 PM
Pretty sure Texas Lutheran's eligible.    They've already won one SCAC championship this season (football).

Women's Basketball has also locked down the top seed for the conference tourney in SA at the end of the month.

108 Stitches

That is good Ron, will make the conference much stronger and the conf tournament much more interesting.

Jack the seeding and World Series participation has been discussed here ad nauseam, last year it was Linfield, previous years it was Chapman. Based on performance last year you could argue that Trinity was the second best team in the country but none of that matters. We're in 2014 so lets see what happens this year. Linfield is beatable and you have to get through the Regional to get there so go beat the team in front of you and not worry about it.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 17, 2014, 07:18:00 PM
That is good Ron, will make the conference much stronger and the conf tournament much more interesting.

Jack the seeding and World Series participation has been discussed here ad nauseam, last year it was Linfield, previous years it was Chapman. Based on performance last year you could argue that Trinity was the second best team in the country but none of that matters. We're in 2014 so lets see what happens this year. Linfield is beatable and you have to get through the Regional to get there so go beat the team in front of you and not worry about it.

You are not going to get any argument from me on that.  Trinity was really good last year and I think they have as good a chance as anyone this year.  Maybe they will are tired of hearing me talk about them never making the Series and do it this year???  SOme pretty good tests early in the season and I think they have passed those tests.

dp643

UMHB opened their season with a road victory at TLU 9-4. Looks like UMHB may be pretty good at the plate this year, even though they started 6 Freshman and Sophomores yesterday. The key is going to see how consistent and deep they are on the mound. I didnt like seeing 4 errors yesterday, but was very happy to only see 2 walks by the pitching. That was a problem last year for the CRU. 5 stolen bases yesterday compared to only 43 all of last year, but I dont know if that is a reflection of a weak defensive catcher for TLU or more team speed for the CRU. Time will tell, but excellent win versus a good team that is traditionally tough to beat at home.

BamColt

I saw Concordia has Cameron Cox on their roster, this kid actually threw at Texas last year and has a live arm.
Is he considered a starter for Boggs or coming out of the pen.

Shows he was drafted a few years ago out of HS.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: BamColt on February 19, 2014, 12:21:00 PM
I saw Concordia has Cameron Cox on their roster, this kid actually threw at Texas last year and has a live arm.
Is he considered a starter for Boggs or coming out of the pen.

Shows he was drafted a few years ago out of HS.

He's a starter.  1-0 in 2 starts with a 1.35 ERA.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 17, 2014, 07:27:45 PM
Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 17, 2014, 07:18:00 PM

You are not going to get any argument from me on that.  Trinity was really good last year and I think they have as good a chance as anyone this year.  Maybe they will are tired of hearing me talk about them never making the Series and do it this year???  SOme pretty good tests early in the season and I think they have passed those tests.

Pitching is going to be a key this year because, at least so far, they don't seem to have the stud starters they've had in the recent past.  No Klimesh, no Lucero, etc.   Zach Speer has picked up where he left off last season (which is good), they've got some decent looking short relief but again very early in the season so we'll need to see how things develop. 

Yeah, I know, in what year isn't pitching a key?   8-)

108 Stitches

Yes, TU season will go where their pitching takes them, they have all of the other pieces. Actually they have the pitching pieces, it is a matter of if  they develop during the year to championship levels. They are also playing a scheduled this year that will make them a hardened team come regionals.

108 Stitches

And then there were three....but not for long.

Top teams in the West.

Linfield
Trinity
CLU

George Fox knocking on the door, soon to be ranked.
Texas Tyler dropping. (and will likely continue)
TLU will rise up, top 25? TBD

Who else?

Chapman (I think will end up a top 25 team)
MHB?
Concordia?
Whitman? Has to be one of the surprises of the season.

1   Linfield (21)   7-2   618   1
2   Southern Maine (2)   0-0   585   2
3   Trinity (Texas) (2)   8-1   544   6
4   UW-Stevens Point   0-0   537   4
5   Kean   2-1   493   3
6   Ithaca   0-0   473   5
7   Manchester   0-0   422   7
8   Webster   0-0   416   8
9   St. Thomas   0-0   388   9
10   Cortland State   3-1   379   10
11   Salisbury   3-1   374   13
12   Cal Lutheran   4-1   348   11
13   UW-Whitewater   0-0   306   15
14   Concordia-Chicago   0-0   260   16
15   Marietta   0-0   257   18
16   Wheaton (Mass.)   0-0   238   19
17   Rowan   3-0   199   22
18   Johns Hopkins   0-0   164   20
19   Bridgewater (Va.)   5-1   148   24
20   Millsaps   6-5   109   12
21   Misericordia   0-0   100   23
22   Augustana   1-1   94   21
23   Washington and Jefferson   0-0   92   25
24   Birmingham-Southern   5-1   70   rv
25   Adrian   0-0   69   rv
Dropped out: No. 14 Texas-Tyler, No. 17 Keystone.

Others receiving votes: George Fox 68, Texas-Tyler 52, Keystone 45, Shenandoah 27, Rhodes 27, Mount Union 26, Case Western Reserve 23, Illinois Wesleyan 22, Western New Eng. 18, Endicott 13, St. Scholastica 12, Concordia (TX) 11, Alvernia 10, Mary Hardin-Baylor 10, Texas Lutheran 10, Piedmont 10, Wooster 9, UW-Oshkosh 8, Huntingdon 8, Covenant 5, Hampden-Sydney 4, Emory 4, Wartburg 4, LeTourneau 4, Moravian 2, La Roche 2, DeSales 2, Saint Joseph's (Me.) 2, St. John Fisher 2, Salem St. 1, Lynchburg 1.

CrashDavisD3

Chapman will be in the top 25 soon. Top pitching with great defense and enough hitting equals wins...
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

CrashDavisD3

Top Teams in West 2/26/2014

SCIAC
Cal Lutheran
Chapman
Whittier

NWC
George Fox
Linfield
Whitman

ASC
Le Tourneau
Mary-Hardin-Baylor
Concordia-Texas

SCAC
Trinity-Texas
Texas Lutheran
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

I had not seen this until someone emailed it to me dated Feb 25. Here is how Massey Rates teams. Obviously a snap shot in time, also I did not realize the GF was 9-1.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cbase2014&sub=11620

For West teams they would rate them in the following order:

1. Trinity
2. G. Fox
3. M Hardin-Baylor
4.  Linfield
5. CLU
6. TLU
7. Whitman
8. Le Trourneau* not sure they are West
9. Chapman
10. Concordia

dp643

I am excited to see what UMHB can do this weekend vs Tyler. I am not sold on the pitching depth (yet), but I think they can develop and be just fine. This team is playing good defense and hitting very consistent right now. Hitting .333 through 4 games, with their best hitter from last year (Zach Whiddon) struggling out the gate (.067). Its only a matter of time before he turns it around. I know it is still early, and sweeping Howard Payne doesn't provide much intel for the team, but I hope they can keep developing. This is a team with 6 freshman/sophmores as major contributors in the lineup.

Whatagame

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 26, 2014, 02:07:27 PM
I had not seen this until someone emailed it to me dated Feb 25. Here is how Massey Rates teams. Obviously a snap shot in time, also I did not realize the GF was 9-1.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cbase2014&sub=11620

For West teams they would rate them in the following order:

1. Trinity
2. G. Fox
3. M Hardin-Baylor
4.  Linfield
5. CLU
6. TLU
7. Whitman
8. Le Trourneau* not sure they are West
9. Chapman
10. Concordia

Mainly just looking at the NWC teams in the Massey's ratings, they have some errors in the W/L records.  My assumption is that they only intend to consider D3 games for W/L, in which case they have Whitman at 7-2 correct (they are 8-3 overall with a split vs. NAIA Corban).  However, G. Fox is 7-1 versus D3 (10-1 overall) and Linfield is 4-0 versus D3.(7-2 overall)  Massey's has Chapman correct at 5-4 record (Chapman is 6-4 overall, with one W versus NAIA CSSM)