FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewdogg11

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on February 19, 2013, 06:47:46 AM
If I were one of those kids, I'd be searching for a school to transfer to. I'd just explain to the coach, "Look, we were just fooling around and acting stupid. It's not a crime. Will I act stupid at your school? No. So take me because I can perform on the field and won't embarrass you off field."

I'd just walk away from Susquehanna and never look back.

Right on.  That was what I first thought.  I'd transfer out of there quicker than you could say purple drank.

fulbakdad

I've come from a very discipline oriented backround.  20 years in the Marine Corps and 22 in Law Enforcement.  I hold high standards for my son.  If he was in that video, I'd probably chuckle at him.  If the school kicked him off the team? I'd be doing his applications for a new school for him. 

I really believe they have bigger problems than that at that school!

Jonny Utah

The Rev is probably the best one to sum it up on this topic, but colleges today are scared about the MARSFP factor today (male/athlete/sex/rape/penis/football) factor. 

This video has 4 of the MARSFP factors in it and that is a no-no for todays colleges.

AUPepBand

Pep thinks this is the best Harlem Shake Video yet!

Heck, in six or seven months, we might be talking some football. Go A-U!!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

bman

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 19, 2013, 07:30:06 PM
The Rev is probably the best one to sum it up on this topic, but colleges today are scared about the MARSFP factor today (male/athlete/sex/rape/penis/football) factor. 

This video has 4 of the MARSFP factors in it and that is a no-no for todays colleges.

That action has lawsuit written all over it...

dlippiel

Dlip would transfer the dlip out of there faster than taking a poop in a public toilet...fast!

Jonny Utah

It is official.  The Yankees have admitted that they are in fact "The Evil Empire"

http://www.universalhub.com/files/evil.pdf

Long story short:

Company called Evil Enteprises starts to sell stuff with the "Evil Empire" logo aimed at baseball fans (Yankee fans and haters).  The Yankees sue and basically say that they are in fact the "Evil Empire" and that this company is infringing on their rights.  Court agrees with the Yankees that they are in fact the "Evil Empire" and that they have rights to that tradmarked phrase.

My favorite part:

QuoteBoth applicant and opposer agree that the term EVIL
EMPIRE, as it relates to baseball and these proceedings,
was coined in 2002 by the president of the rival Boston Red
Sox baseball club upon learning that a sought-after Cuban
pitcher, Jose Contreras, had signed a contract to play for
the Yankees and not the Red Sox. Upon hearing the news of
Contreras' signing, Red Sox club president, Larry Lucchino,
is reported to have said: "The evil empire extends its
tentacles even into Latin America."5 The term EVIL EMPIRE
has since been taken up by the media, Yankees' fans, and
detractors as a reference to the Yankees. The Yankees have
"implicitly embraced" the nickname EVIL EMPIRE, including
playing ominous music from the soundtrack of the STAR WARS
movies at baseball games.6 Opposer, however, does not own
an application or registration for the term EVIL EMPIRE.
Nor has opposer used the mark itself in connection with any
goods or services.
Standing

bman

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 26, 2013, 12:17:41 PM
It is official.  The Yankees have admitted that they are in fact "The Evil Empire"

Long story short:

Company called Evil Enteprises starts to sell stuff with the "Evil Empire" logo aimed at baseball fans (Yankee fans and haters).  The Yankees sue and basically say that they are in fact the "Evil Empire" and that this company is infringing on their rights.  Court agrees with the Yankees that they are in fact the "Evil Empire" and that they have rights to that tradmarked phrase.

My favorite part:

goods or services.
Standing

I for one am not getting sucked into a discussion on trademark or patent law (we have Mark Cuban for that), but beside the valid legal pleadings and case law from the Yankees, it is inherently pathetic that the Yankees have grounds for opposition given that THEY DIDN'T EVEN COME UP WITH THE TERM!   I would care more about their claim, had they invented it...maybe the Red Sox should sue the Yankees for infringement here...

Jonny Utah

Quote from: bman on February 26, 2013, 12:34:18 PM
Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 26, 2013, 12:17:41 PM

Long story short:

My favorite part:

goods or services.
Standing

I for one am not getting sucked into a discussion on trademark or patent law (we have Mark Cuban for that), but beside the valid legal pleadings and case law from the Yankees, it is inherently pathetic that the Yankees have grounds for opposition given that THEY DIDN'T EVEN COME UP WITH THE TERM!   I would care more about their claim, had they invented it...maybe the Red Sox should sue the Yankees for infringement here...

I bet if Larry Luccino had tried to trademark it, he might have gotten somewhere....

TheGrove

It's not like we don't all know it's true.  ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: TheGrove on February 27, 2013, 12:16:05 AM
It's not like we don't all know it's true.  ;D

But should the Evil Empire be able to trademark a slur first uttered by a rival?

(On the other hand the Quakers [begun as a slur] sued Quaker Oats [the Society of Friends lost]; don't know if Methodists [also begun as a slur by enemies of John Wesley] have ever fought a trademark battle. ;))

Knightstalker

It seems to me that the main issue is the company trying to trademark Baseballs Evil Empire will then attempt to sell Yankees merchandise under this trademark.  Seems to be the Yankees are just protecting their brand.  If the Yankees did not take action MLB may have.  But shouldn't Ronald Reagans family sue both Evil Enterprises and the Yankees for trying to trademark Evil Empire?   ;D

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

fulbakdad

My neighbor (a boy my son caught for in Little League and Middle School) was drafted by the Yankees two years ago and a rising pitching prospect. 

Being from Boston with a family of Red Sox fanatics, it's taking everything I have inside me not to root for him.

But deep down, I can't wait for him to pitch in the Bronx!  Just won't go to watch him!

LOL

bman

Quote from: fulbakdad on February 27, 2013, 03:39:09 PM
My neighbor (a boy my son caught for in Little League and Middle School) was drafted by the Yankees two years ago and a rising pitching prospect. 

Being from Boston with a family of Red Sox fanatics, it's taking everything I have inside me not to root for him.

But deep down, I can't wait for him to pitch in the Bronx!  Just won't go to watch him!

LOL

Just root for him to throw a gem of a game in a 1-0 loss to the Sox!

ITH radio

Hobart hires UofR's Grange to be new DC

http://www.hwsathletics.com/news/2013/2/27/HFB_0227135555.aspx

Still no word on Bodor's status at RPI...
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle