BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lets Play Two

SCIAC Round Robin Schedule (All teams are seeded following the last game on 4/19)

4/23/14

1st @ 8th
2nd @ 9th
3rd @ 7th

4/26/14

9th @ 4
2nd @ 4th

7th @ 5th
3rd @ 5th

8th @ 6th
1st @ 6th

4/27/14

5th @ 1st
9th @ 1st

6th @ 2nd
7th @ 2nd

4th @ 3rd
8th @ 3rd

4/29/14

5th @ 9th
6th @ 7th
4th @ 8th

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Lets Play Two on March 18, 2014, 01:21:06 PM
SCIAC Round Robin Schedule (All teams are seeded following the last game on 4/19)

4/23/14

1st @ 8th
2nd @ 9th
3rd @ 7th

4/26/14

9th @ 4
2nd @ 4th

7th @ 5th
3rd @ 5th

8th @ 6th
1st @ 6th

4/27/14

5th @ 1st
9th @ 1st

6th @ 2nd
7th @ 2nd

4th @ 3rd
8th @ 3rd

4/29/14

5th @ 9th
6th @ 7th
4th @ 8th
Takes a Cal Tech guy to come up with this schedule for a 9 team Round Robin limited to 4 games. Hurts my brain trying to figure out how all teams get 4 games.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

Whatagame

The round robin games don't culminate in a winner, as I understand it.  The 9 SCIAC teams are seeded after they have played their "weekend series" portion of the conference schedule.  Then, each team plays these four additional round robin games based on their seeding.  After these round robin games, the top four teams in the overall season standings proceed to the SCIAC Tournament.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Whatagame on March 18, 2014, 02:11:33 PM
The round robin games don't culminate in a winner, as I understand it.  The 9 SCIAC teams are seeded after they have played their "weekend series" portion of the conference schedule.  Then, each team plays these four additional round robin games based on their seeding.  After these round robin games, the top four teams in the overall season standings proceed to the SCIAC Tournament.
Thanks for this information. I always scratched  my head trying to determine format but now it is clear.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Whatagame on March 18, 2014, 02:11:33 PM

Yes, that's exactly correct.  These are the last four games of the regular season. 

- #1 plays 5,6,8,9:   They control their destiny and have easiest games
- #2 plays 4,6,7,9:   They don't control their destiny for #1
- #3 plays 4,5,7,8:   They don't control their destiny for #1 or 2
- #4 plays 2,3,8,9:   Which definitely gives #4 a chance to improve their ranking for SCIAC Tourney if they can beat 2&3
- #5 plays 1,3,7,9:   Assuming the middle stays close (+/- 1 game), needs to win 3 or 4 to have chance to pass #4 into the SCIAC Tourney
- #6 plays 1,2,7,8:

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 16, 2014, 11:55:40 AM
Another interesting weekend in the SCIAC:

Whittier drops 2 of 3, CLU gets smoked by Oxy but wins 2 of 3, Chapman and Pomona destroy each others pitching, La Verne struggles with Claremont....

SCIAC Standing:

1. Whittier         10-2  Have played the bottom 4 teams in the conference so far, hardest remaining schedule.

Without a doubt the hardest schedule the rest of the way is Whittier and this is how I see each team finishing.

Nice to see Whittier at the top of the standings.  This should give them some confidence in the second half of the season.

My thought is about they "have played the bottom 4 teams in the conference so far".  Either they are in the top of the standings because they played the bottom teams, or the teams are in the bottom since they played Whittier.

108 Stitches

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 18, 2014, 03:29:09 PM
My thought is about they "have played the bottom 4 teams in the conference so far".  Either they are in the top of the standings because they played the bottom teams, or the teams are in the bottom since they played Whittier.

Funny how that works.  :-\

I looked a Massy's and their SoS is ranked 160th and forecasted will be 80th so they do have tougher games coming up. They forecast them to win 4.31 and lose 4.69 games not sure why they only have them playing 10 more games, but if they play 50% the rest of the way, then they will be in the mix for the SCIAC.

CrashDavisD3

Right now it looks like TOP 4 for SCIAC tournament will be

1) Cal Lutheran
2) Chapman
3) Whittier
4) Occidental or La Verne or Redlands

Jack Parkman

Pretty big weekend in the SCIAC and a little bit of a "make or break" weekend for some.

Whittier and Oxy is probably the most important for both teams.  Whittier could inch closer to getting the #1 seed going into the round robin and really hurt Oxy.  Oxy could really help themselves in the #4 spot.  I say Oxy takes 2 of 3.

Pomona and La Verne- The only way Pomona has any remote shot of getting into the SCIAC tournament is by sweeping this series.  A Pomona sweep would really hurt La Verne, who is right there with Oxy for the #4 spot.  I am going with Pomona 2 out of 3.

Redlands and Chapman should see Laverty whipping up on his old team.  I see a Chapman sweep that pretty much ends any hope for Redland's and the SCIAC tournament.  Redlands could sneak one in since Chapman hasn't been able to sweep anyone, but I doubt it.

Cal Lu wins all 3 against Cal Tech.  I think Cal Lu is by far the most complete team in the SCIAC.

Non-Conference- PLU and Claremont split thier 2 games.  The SCIAC hasn't been too kind to PLU on this trip with Pomona and Cal Lu both beating them.

Predicted Standings at the end of this weekend...

1. Cal Lu 12-3
2. Whittier 11-4
3. Chapman 13-5
4. Oxy 9-6
5. La Verne 7-7
6. Redlands 8-10
7. Pomona 7-11
8. Claremont 4-11
Cal Tech 0-14

SoCalSoxFan

Good victory by Cal Lu over Pacific Lu and a very high quality pitcher.

They were able get 3 runs (2 earned) against Lubking, despite his 11k's.   He is throwing really well with a 1.61 ERA and 1.3 K's per inning.
Scotty Peters and Aron Roth were even better, shutting out the light hitting PLU team.
Peters has been a starter for 3 of Cal Lu's 4 shutouts.

This weekend I expect
- Redlands to take one against Chapman, as Chapman has struggled the past two series to sweep CMS or PP.
- Whittiers Barzilli is making a run at the SCIAC triple crown.  Whittier is averaging over 8  runs per game in non-Caltech SCIAC and Oxy only 4. 
I'm reluctant to predict a sweep, so I'll pick Whittier to win 2.
- PP & LaVerne a tossup;  I'm picking LaVerne to win 2; as PP will give one of the games away due to their errors.
- CLU win 3 against Cal Tech
- CMS playing non-league against Pac Lu.  PL to win both.

Bishopleftiesdad

Chapman Alum, new president of the Atlantic League, Rick White. Here is an article talking about his ideas for the League.
http://www.yorkdispatch.com/localsports/ci_25433537/new-president-has-big-plans-atlantic-league

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on March 28, 2014, 12:17:58 PM
Good victory by Cal Lu over Pacific Lu and a very high quality pitcher.

They were able get 3 runs (2 earned) against Lubking, despite his 11k's.   He is throwing really well with a 1.61 ERA and 1.3 K's per inning.
Scotty Peters and Aron Roth were even better, shutting out the light hitting PLU team.
Peters has been a starter for 3 of Cal Lu's 4 shutouts.

This weekend I expect
- Redlands to take one against Chapman, as Chapman has struggled the past two series to sweep CMS or PP.
- Whittiers Barzilli is making a run at the SCIAC triple crown.  Whittier is averaging over 8  runs per game in non-Caltech SCIAC and Oxy only 4. 
I'm reluctant to predict a sweep, so I'll pick Whittier to win 2.
- PP & LaVerne a tossup;  I'm picking LaVerne to win 2; as PP will give one of the games away due to their errors.
- CLU win 3 against Cal Tech
- CMS playing non-league against Pac Lu.  PL to win both.

As expected:
Chapman took 2 of 3
Whittier won 2 of 3
CLU won all three.
Suprised LaVerne swept... but it took Extra inning in game 2 to sweep.

SoCalSoxFan

Misc SCIAC stats:

Hitting
CLU        .353
CU          .315
La Verne .314

ERA
CLU        3.50            plus 23 unearned runs in 25 games
CU          3.78            plus 25 unearnedruns in 25 games
Occi        3.87            plus 28 unearned runs in 26 games

Fielding
CLU       .971           
CU         .963           
Whittier .961           

Remaining Sched:
Whittier: LV, CLU, CU                 12-3; Projected 16-8
CLU:    CMS, Whittier, LV            12-3; Projected 19-5
CU:     Cal Tech,  Whittier           12-6; Projected 17-7
LaVerne: Whittier, Occi, CLU, 1CT 9-5; Projected 14-10
Occi:       Redlands, LV, PP           8-7; Projected 13-11
Redlands: Occi, CMS                    9-9; Projected 13-11
(Plus the 4 game round robin)

Jack Parkman

My weekend SCIAC predictions...

Cal Lu sweeps Claremont.
La Verne takes 2/3 from Whittier, although I could see Whittier taking 2/3 but no sweep either side.
Chapman- off from SCIAC
The toughest is Oxy/Redlands.  I am leaning towards Redlands taking 2/3 but might change my mind to Oxy 2/3
Pomona will sweep Cal Tech.

Projected standings after this weekend:
Cal Lu- 15-3
Whittier- 13-5
Chapman- 12-6
La Verne- 12-6 (lose the tie breaker with Chapman after being swept by them earlier in the year.  Also added the make-up win vs. Cal Tech)
Redlands- 11-10
Oxy- 9-9
Pomona 8-13
Claremont 4-14
Cal Tech- 0-17

Plenty of games to be played and I think it should be a pretty close race for the SCIAC tournament.