D-3 Women 2021

Started by Stryker, September 20, 2021, 04:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

Final match stats for CWRU vs Chatham

CWRU won over Chatham, 5-0.  CWRU will play the winner of Hope vs Ohio Northern in Round 2 tomorrow in Cleveland.

CWRU outshot Chatham, 25-5, and led in shots on target, 11-3.

CWRU led on corners, 8-0.

CWRU called for offsides 3 times, while Chatham was not called for offsides.

Chatham committed 8 fouls to CWRU's 4.

There were no bookings in the match.

Note:  That will be it for me today, as all first round action for today involving UAA teams has concluded.

All 6 UAA teams in the NCAA DIII Women's Soccer Championship tournament will be in action tomorrow, with Chicago, Emory, and CWRU in second round action, and Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, and Wash U in first round action.

I will most likely be focused on the MIT site in Cambridge, MA, where Brandeis will be playing Farmingdale State tomorrow in Round 1.

deiscanton

Game on in Cambridge, MA as Brandeis finally gets the equalizer from Yasla Ngoma to tie the match with Farmingdale State at 1-1 in the 72nd minute.  Julissa Martinez scored on a counter in the 12th minute for Farmingdale State.

Brandeis has to avoid being the victim of another "giant-killing" by the Rams to advance to tomorrow vs MIT.  The Rams pulled off this act of "giant-killing" back in 2018 when they last faced Brandeis in the first round (TCNJ was the host site of that "giant-killing".)

3:35 PM Eastern-- Brandeis takes the lead, 2-1, on a goal from Juliette Carriero, assist by Caroline Swan, off a free kick from just outside Farmingdale State's box in the 84th minute. 

3:46 PM Eastern-- Brandeis advances to round 2 to face MIT in a rematch of their season opener in Waltham, MA where Brandeis and MIT battled to a 2-2 draw.  The Brandeis/MIT match is always one of the better season openers in DIII Women's soccer, and we are going to get a postseason rematch this year in Round 2.

deiscanton

Confirmed from the NCAA DIII Women's Soccer Committee and posted on the printable bracket:

Women's sectional hosts next weekend are:   MIT, Case Western Reserve University, Scranton, and Loras.

CentPA

The games in Scranton this coming weekend will be very intriguing.

Two undefeated teams playing each other (Scranton vs TCNJ) where one of the teams could loose their first game of the year (unless it goes to PKs then technically it is a tie) and their remarkable season will be over!  Scranton has given up just 4 goals all year while TCNJ has given up only 5 all year.  Could easily be a 0-0 tie with penalty kicks to decide.

The other game features two one-loss teams.  Misericordia has scored 89 goals this year while giving up 9 goals and William Smith has scored 79 goals this year while giving up 10 goals - 4 of which where given up in their second game of the year - their only loss to Messiah (2-4).  Misericordia's only loss was to Scranton (0-1).

WLCALUM83

Final:  Wesleyan-CT 2, MIT 1  OT  (Game winning goal came less than 5 min. into overtime)
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

blooter442

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on November 21, 2021, 03:06:22 PM
Final:  Wesleyan-CT 2, MIT 1  OT  (Game winning goal came less than 5 min. into overtime)

Couldn't tell if that winning goal was a shanked cross or just a really good shot. Don't think you can attach much blame to the goalkeeper, it dropped right in the side panel on the far corner. Either way, brutal end for MIT who did everything but lead in the game.

Stryker

I watched the William Smith matches against both Misericordia and TCNJ. The match with Misericordia shows what happens when you have a deep bench. William Smith consistently has a strong second half since there is little drop off in ability when they sub players. It wears down the other teams. Misericordia contolled the game with a 3-1 lead until about 17 minutes into the 2d half. Julia Keogh of William Smith scored her 22nd goal of the season to close the gap and I thought "here they go again!" But Misericordia responded with a goal to go up 4-2 about a minute later and I thought "maybe not this time". But the shot differential in the second half was 16 to 3 in William Smith's favor. I give Msericordia credit in that they didn't tighten up when William Smith closed it to 4-3 with 24 minutes to go and you felt they would hold on. When William Smith made te miracle goal with 11 seconds left in the game, you just knew they would win it in OT. An exciting offensive match. A pity for Misericordia.

The matchup between William Smith and TCNJ was  a battle between 2 of the best teams in the nation. They were nearly in in both shots and corner shots throughout the match. Unlike Misericordia, once they got the 1-0 lead, they were able to keep the ball in their offensive zone for much of the second half, escpecially in the last five minutes. A good example of the phrase " A good offense is the best defense." Still when William Smith hit their last second shot from deep, it was right on frame and for a moment we thought "there they go again with another miracle." But the TCNJ goalie brought the ball in and the horn sounded for the TCNJ victory.

These games highlight how unfair the brackets were this year. Few teams in the other brackets faced off against such strong opponents. to have Messiah, Scanton, Misericordia, William Smith and TCNJ is the same bracket is ridiculous.  Both of these games will probably be better than any of the matches in the semifinal. It's a shame that these strong teams has to face each other in  Elite * and quartrfinal matchups rather than in the Final 4.

SlideTackle

Quote from: blooter442 on November 22, 2021, 09:49:25 AM

Couldn't tell if that winning goal was a shanked cross or just a really good shot. Don't think you can attach much blame to the goalkeeper, it dropped right in the side panel on the far corner. Either way, brutal end for MIT who did everything but lead in the game.

That goal looked well planned and was struck by the same player who scored the first one. She was the NESCAC POY this year and is extremely talented.  The MIT goal came on a floater from further away that too looked like it could have been a shanked cross though I think the MIT player, like the Wesleyan player, meant it.  Having beaten Hopkins and MIT on back to back days, Wesleyan has certainly earned its place in the Final Four.

SlideTackle

Quote from: SlideTackle on November 22, 2021, 11:47:07 AM
Quote from: blooter442 on November 22, 2021, 09:49:25 AM

That goal looked well planned and was struck by the same player who scored the first one. She was the NESCAC POY this year and is extremely talented.  The MIT goal came on a floater from further away that too looked like it could have been a shanked cross though I think the MIT player, like the Wesleyan player, meant it.  Having beaten Hopkins and MIT on back to back days, Wesleyan has certainly earned its place in the Final Four.

I take it back.  That second goal looked very much like it was meant to be a pass and I'm thinking that's likely what it was, about 30 seconds into extra time.