SimpleCoach Game Notes Spring 2022

Started by SimpleCoach, April 08, 2022, 09:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleCoach

New thread for a new year. If I can catch some games this spring will post here.

Virginia Wesleyan University v University of Richmond
Spring Exhibition Match ... I think.
8 April 2022

-  Found this on YouTube and looks like it was a game that is being played now.    Thinks its at VWU ... Marlins?
-  VWU #6 Kerry Smith.  Only 1 minute down and I like her skill, poise and vision with the ball.
-  Richmond Keeper needs to stop second guessing her distribution choices.
-  Richmond is much more positionally disciplined in possession and the double team to perfection to win the ball.
-  VWU needs to work the ball quicker and provide some outlets up top so they can stretch the field in possession.
-  Richmond scores.  Ball put across from the left of the Keeper.  Hits it near post, ball gets past the defender and drops to Richmond#27 who buries it from 3 yards out.
-  Spring, I get it, but VWU did a poor job defending.  They had four players back, and only marked 2 of the 3 forwards.  I don't think this happens in the fall.
-  Richmond presses well, and VWU struggles to get the ball forward as a result.  When they do get forward, they seem to force the play.
-  I like VWU #23.  Very good defending one on one.  Reads the game well.
-  Lots of imprecision, but like some of the defensive lapses, don't think this happens in the fall.
-  VWU is growing into the game.  Making it more difficult for the Richmond to get the ball forward.  Think they need to show some patience in possession.
-  VWU is getting the ball into positions where they are able to get behind the Richmond defense.  The right through ball, and a little precision in finishing, they could even it up.
-  Half.
-   Second half.  VWU coming out to try to get an equalizer.  Lots of pressure all over the field.  Trying to challenge for every ball.
-  And wow.  I like VWU#5??  Breckin Mcclenahan?   on the right wing.  Receives the ball at midfield, turns her defender and takes the ball down to about 20/25 yards from the end line, cuts it back and hit a rocket to the far side, over the Richmond keeper.  43 minutes left in the half.  VWU 1. Richmond 1
-  VWU#23 is the door that shuts just when you think you can get in.  She covers so well.  And VWU#5 really is unsettling the Richmond defense with her runs on the right wing.
-  And thanks to a corner that came from a blocked cross from VWU#5, they get the go-ahead goal.  Ball is crossed in and ends up far post and lands at the feet of VWU#13 Adrianna Gunther? who hits the ball from 8.  First shot is block then she smartly hits a high ball that hits the back of the net.  VWU 2; Richmond 1.
-  The video is coming from a press booth above the stands, or so it seems.  But it sounds like they have some sort of a crowd.  Which is great for a spring game.
-  Richmond moves the ball well at times, but either fails in the final pass or VWU defends to well for them to get through.
-  They are trying shots from range to keep the VWU defense honest.
-  Also like VWU#13 and her range with the ball.  Moves around real well and is able to keep the forwards and midfield connected.
-  Richmond is trying but VWU is not putting up with it.  They can get a third if they connect in the right places.
-  And like that.  Ball put through behind the defense, the Richmond keeper gets caught in no man's land, and VWU#10?  Emma Acompora? VWU 3, Richmond 1.
-  20 minutes left.
-  And a defensive error.  Richmond passing it around back, and a poor pass to the keeper is left for VWU#32 to score on an open net.  VWU 4, Richmond 1.  Chalk it up to VWU pressure.
-  And that's it.  Not sure what I was supposed to expect but was impressed with VWU and their style of play.  Some talented ball players.

VAFury

PlaySimple

Quote from: VAFury on April 12, 2022, 09:24:45 AM
D3 team handling a D1 team...

It happens more than you think during spring scrimmages.

You might be surprised but many of the top D3 schools from the UAA, NESCAC, and schools like Christopher Newport, TCNJ, MIT, Wesleyan, Wiliam Smith, etc, would be able to beat a good number of D1 mid-major schools if they played in the regular season.

VAFury

Quote from: PlaySimple on April 13, 2022, 08:13:34 AM

You might be surprised but many of the top D3 schools from the UAA, NESCAC, and schools like Christopher Newport, TCNJ, MIT, Wesleyan, Wiliam Smith, etc, would be able to beat a good number of D1 mid-major schools if they played in the regular season.

Oh sure, I recognize that. Just felt like underscoring it here.  Virginia Weslyan is no slouch, I'm aware. Honestly don't know where Richmond lies on the spectrum of D1.

Stryker

Quote from: PlaySimple on April 13, 2022, 08:13:34 AM

I couldn't agree more. That being said, spring scrimmages can be deceiving. The intensity of spring scrimmages do not match those of fall matches. The spring roster is diminished since many graduating seniors are not playing and the incoming freshman class is not yet available. Players may be put in new positions so coaches can evaluate possible line changes for the fall. Not taking anything away from VWU, but hard to say if result would have been the same if it was a fall matchup.

Just recently, RIT (D-3) took on University of Buffalo (D-1) in a spring scrimmage that ended in a 1-1 tie. The match was pretty even throughout. However, none of the graduating seniors for either team played the scrimmage. Plus, RIT's most dominant forward (Cataldo-Smith), a junior, was shut down for the entire spring season for treatment and PT to fully recover from a nagging injury that hampered her all fall season. I'd like to think that RIT would take it to Buffalo if they faced each other in the fall but who really knows?

Again, that takes nothing away from the positive play that you saw from the VWU players.

Stryker

Just to clarify earlier post, the RIT match was against D-1 Niagara University. 

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Stryker on April 19, 2022, 11:01:32 AM
Just to clarify earlier post, the RIT match was against D-1 Niagara University.

interestingly (perhaps only to me) Niagara and Buffalo had almost identical records (13-4-1 vs 13-4-3) but UB beat NU 6-2 when they matched up on the first weekend of the 2021 campaign. It was Niagara's opener but Buffalo had taken a 4-0 loss to West Virginia two days prior.

Lonestar418

Montclair State tied D1 Saint Peter's the other night, 1-1.

SimpleCoach

Had a wonderful conversation with Colleen Pivirotto, head women's coach at University of Scranton.  I can see why they are one of the programs to reckon with.

Colleen Pivirotto of the University of Scranton

VAFury

Quote from: SimpleCoach on May 07, 2022, 07:59:37 AM
Had a wonderful conversation with Colleen Pivirotto, head women's coach at University of Scranton.  I can see why they are one of the programs to reckon with.

Colleen Pivirotto of the University of Scranton

Enjoyed this a lot.  Thanks for trying out the new questions!  Also cool to get a shout out on a "soon to be viral" Youtube channel! (BTW, Yes, I am a male)   ;D 

I guess her answer was to be expected as far as not wanting to name any particular player they missed out on (Makes sense in retrospect), but still enjoyed listening to the answer. Maybe could get them to mention by name a particular player who they maybe weren't initially interested in, took a chance on and were SO thankful they did... Just thinking out loud.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

SimpleCoach

This time I speak with Casey Sommers at Catholic University.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I had doing it.

Casey Sommers, Head Women's Coach at The Catholic University of America

SimpleCoach

Had a real great talk with Sandy Lagana Bly, Head Women's Soccer Coach at McDaniel College.  Most definitely one of best women coaches in the country and has really put McDaniel on the map.

Sandy Lagana Bly, Head Women's Soccer Coach at McDaniel College

VAFury

Quote from: SimpleCoach on June 30, 2022, 08:32:54 AM
Had a real great talk with Sandy Lagana Bly, Head Women's Soccer Coach at McDaniel College.  Most definitely one of best women coaches in the country and has really put McDaniel on the map.

Sandy Lagana Bly, Head Women's Soccer Coach at McDaniel College

Not all the way through yet, but am enjoying.  Really like this one in terms of the perspective on her own personal growth as a coach with learning that not surpassing last year's successes isn't "failure", etc...   Also the growth in team culture and how it morphed into more of a team-led than coach-led thing.  Seeing as much of what is considered to be "D3 Culture" to a perspective student athlete is often construed as, "I get to be an athlete and a full-on partying college student at the same time!", I like to see coaches that keep their players on the rails like this. 

VAFury

All done.  IMO one of your best.   Very organic conversation. She seemed like she really wanted to talk and wasn't just answering your questions in a Q and A format.  Enjoyable to listen to.