FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miaafbfan

Joe Wally and dc:

Let's see if I/we can answer you questions.  The race for the MIAA title is interesting this year, with Alma, Hope, and Olivet all still in the hunt.  All three have 5-1 league records, and all three could make that 6-1 tomorrow.  All three would have 6-4 overall records, so overall record doesn't work as a tiebreaker.  Head-to-head also doesn't work because Hope beat Alma, Alma beat Olivet, and Olivet beat Hope.  We have to then rely on combined record of opponents.  This is also not as clear as it first appears.

Hope's opponents are 20-7.  (UW River Falls at 3-6, Central at 9-0, and Wheaton at 8-1)
Olivet's opponents are 18-9.  (Illinois Wesleyan at 6-3, Wittenberg at 7-2, and Elmhurst at 5-4)
Alma's opponents are 16-11.  (Cornell at 2-7, UW-Eau Claire at 7-2, and Wittenberg at 7-2)

It first appears that Hope has the advantage, but when you consider that Central plays a good Wartburg team and Illinois Wesleyan plays Wheaton this weekend, Hope and Olivet could end up tied in this regard.  What then?  I don't know.  This really looks like a two-horse race for the AQ between Olivet and Hope. 

Anybody else have thoughts?  I have to give credit to Flying Dutch Fan for spelling out the info on opponent record in a previous post.  I just repeated it here.

As for which MIAA team would best represent the league in the playoffs, realistically the AQ  will be either Olivet or Hope.  Hope has the playoff experience.  That's not to say they would necessarily be the best.  If you consider end of season momentum, Alma might have an edge, coming off 5 straight wins assuming they win tomorrow.  They seem to be improving as the season progresses.  This is a moot point, though, as I believe Hope will get the AQ. 

dc_has_been

"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

altor

In most leagues, if a tiebreaking rule eliminates one team but still leaves others tied, you revert back to the 1st tiebreaker with the teams that are still tied.

If this is true in the MIAA, if Alma's NCOs' records eliminate them and Hope and Olivet are still tied, you would revert back to head-to-head and Olivet wins the AQ.

As I said, this is common operating procedure in most leagues (from the NFL on down).  But I do not know whether the MIAA has adopted this policy or not.

joepieters

Thanks, MIAA.  Appreciate the information.

ADAWGISADAWG4LIFE

Picks

Adrian over Alma, low scoring game much like the 13-10 Alma win from two years ago.  This game could go either way, but I have to go with the Adrian defense.  Huge ramifications in this one if Alma loses as Olivet will most likely be the MIAA rep to the playoffs.

Tri State over Albion, to much defense for Albion.

Olivet over Kzoo, could be ugly.

Hope over WLC, Same as above.
You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

ChicagoHopeNut

Looks like Olivet will represent the MIAA unless Alma can score twice in the last 3 minutes of the game.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

miaafbfan

Looks that way, as the Adrian D keeps Alma from sharing the title.  Hope and Olivet both win, so it looks like Olivet is in based on head to head.

ADAWGISADAWG4LIFE

Congratulations are in order for Olivet on its trip to the NCAA playoffs.   Hopefully they can put up some fight in the first round as its my guess that as a 6-4 champ from a lesser regarded conference they will be heading down to Alliance for a chance to see how they stack up against the Purple Raiders.
You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

formerd3db

Well, who would have thought this ending?  Indeed, congratulations to Olivet team and Coach L's staff and all "The Big O" fans on their co-championship and AQ for the playoffs.  I also congratulate our Hope players and Coach K's staff and fans on our share of the league title, although obviously it is bittersweet in not getting the playoff spot.

For the fans, this season sure ended up being an exciting one right down to the last.  Moreover, it is difficult to imagine and perhaps a bit ironic that Adrian ends up with a 7-3 record but doesn't get the league title or a playoff spot due to the 3 losses being in the league.  Nonetheless, the overall record has to be a least some solice for Coach L and staff and the players after many people were blasting them during the slump.

Anyway, where has Rome been all season?  We haven't had much posting from "The Big O" faithful.  I'd like to see that this week and, of course, although the rest of us are disappointed that our teams did not get the AQ, we need to support our representative Olivet College.  I hope that they can "shock the world" to borrow a phrase that one of my colleagues on another board has used to describe that 'im'-probable happening. ;D  But wouldn't it be something? (although obviously not for the Mount fans or whoever Olivet gets paired with in the first round!).

I'll probably have some additional general comments/summary opinion on the league season and our MIAA teams later in the next few days, but will leave the above to suffice for now.  Thanks to everyone for posting and participating this year.  I think this has been one of the better years for our MIAA board and all of you have made it fun and "with class".  Thanks.  Yet, the season isn't done yet, so let's continue some talk on here fairly regularly - at least for another week friends!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

sac

Congrats to Olivet on their first MIAA Football title since 1974, and believe it or not just the second since 1914, and the schools 10th overall.

For Hope their share is their 20th overall MIAA title and a second consecutive.  Its hardly been dominant but its their 6th in 11 seasons, you have to go back to the pre-Albion domination run of the 90's to find a better run of success for Hope.

Congrats to both and good luck to Olivet in the playoffs.

formerd3db

Well said, sac.  BTW, "just for the record", this indeed is Olivet's first "official" MIAA title since 1974, however, they actually had a 7-1-1 record and shared the title in 1991 with Albion that year, but had to vacate it due to unfortunately inadvertently using an ineligable player that season.  The 1974 title was Olivet's first in some 60 years, the last dating back to the 1914 and 1913 seasons when they shared the title with Hillsdale in former year while winning it outright the year before.  But their greatest team may have been the 1901 team when they had the "goat for a mascot" - a great team photo - one of my all-time favorites. ;D 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Mr. Ypsi

1901, eh?  Wasn't that the year Fielding Yost's Wolverines won by a cumulative score of something like 502-0?!  Maybe Olivet should have 'gotten their goat'! ;D

hope1

i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

ACRULZ

DutchFan2004

Congrats to Olivet and our sister school Hope.  A rematch would have been a fun one to watch. 
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper