BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgerwarhawk

The Warhawks (8-3) needed to ride our pitching again yesterday beating Sewanee (10-9) 6-1.  Only Thies with 3 hits and an RBI had a multiple hit day. Padan (2), Hooper (1), Frank (1) and Pease (1) all had RBI.  Frank (1-2) got his first win pitching 5 innings allowing 4 hits, an earned run and striking out 7. Koening got a strikeout over his 2 hitless innings while Hansen allowed an earned run on 2 hits and 1 strikeout and Lee struck out the side to close the contest.

Huntington today, fly home tonight. Loras in Dubuque next Thursday before the WIAC season opens Friday with Stout in town for the weekend. Finally, something I don't have to watch onlne.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

tomt4525

ShineTime

Where is Jacob Boos?? I thought he was returning and hed definitely provide some experience to their lineup. Is he just injured or something? Have the 2 d1 transfer pitchers even pitched yet this year?
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

ShineTime

All I can say is the Pointers have their work cut out for them after starting 0-3. The loss to Denison stings because they were ranked high and pointers blew bigger lead. If they can somehow finish this trip with only 5 losses total and then sweep Marion and Eau Claire they'll be 11-5 and at least have some life if their defense starts playing better.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

badgerwarhawk

The Warhawks (9-3) got solid pitching again today holding Hunington (8-7) to just five hits while getting fifteen themselves in the 17-2 win. Husebo (2-0) allowed 3 hits in 4 innings producing just 1 unearned run while striking out 3 for the win. Hilker struck out 2 in 2 innings of hitless relief with McPherson, Dupor and Eisenbarth each pitched an inning allowing 2 hits and 1 earned run while striking out 3 combined. Scolon with three hits including a 2B and HR drove in 3 runs to lead the Warhawks. Thies also had 3 hits and an RBI.  Jackson and Bennett each had a pair of hits, including a double apiece and drove in 2 and 3 RBI respectively. Koenig had a pair of RBI and Bogue, Gordon, O'Brien, Wessel and Padan all had single RBI.

PS: It was a nine inning game so I don't see how Husebo gets the win pitching only 4. But that's how the box has it. I believe the win should go to Hilker.

badgerwarhawk

Ex-Pointer JP Feyereisen struck out both hitters he faced today in the DODGERS 5-2 win over an all star Korean team.  The fact he made the trip with the team is a good sign of the likelihood of his making the final roster in a relief role. 

mr_b

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 17, 2024, 08:06:11 PMThe Warhawks (9-3) got solid pitching again today holding Hunington (8-7) to just five hits while getting fifteen themselves in the 17-2 win. Husebo (2-0) allowed 3 hits in 4 innings producing just 1 unearned run while striking out 3 for the win. Hilker struck out 2 in 2 innings of hitless relief with McPherson, Dupor and Eisenbarth each pitched an inning allowing 2 hits and 1 earned run while striking out 3 combined. Scolon with three hits including a 2B and HR drove in 3 runs to lead the Warhawks. Thies also had 3 hits and an RBI.  Jackson and Bennett each had a pair of hits, including a double apiece and drove in 2 and 3 RBI respectively. Koenig had a pair of RBI and Bogue, Gordon, O'Brien, Wessel and Padan all had single RBI.

PS: It was a nine inning game so I don't see how Husebo gets the win pitching only 4. But that's how the box has it. I believe the win should go to Hilker.
That would be the logical choice, but if the head coaches agree before the game starts, the starting pitcher *can* be credited with the victory even if he doesn't go five innings.  That's why you see an occasional bullpen game with a starting pitcher going one inning and ending up with the W if the offense gives him the lead.

tomt4525

Huge win for the Pointers this morning over #1 Endicott.  They have another huge game going on now against #13th ranked Johns Hopkins, who just beat La Crosse 8-0 this morning.

Where is Mason Weckler and JD Schultz?  They still have yet to throw a pitch for the Pointers this year.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: mr_b on March 18, 2024, 09:47:43 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 17, 2024, 08:06:11 PMThe Warhawks (9-3) got solid pitching again today holding Hunington (8-7) to just five hits while getting fifteen themselves in the 17-2 win. Husebo (2-0) allowed 3 hits in 4 innings producing just 1 unearned run while striking out 3 for the win. Hilker struck out 2 in 2 innings of hitless relief with McPherson, Dupor and Eisenbarth each pitched an inning allowing 2 hits and 1 earned run while striking out 3 combined. Scolon with three hits including a 2B and HR drove in 3 runs to lead the Warhawks. Thies also had 3 hits and an RBI.  Jackson and Bennett each had a pair of hits, including a double apiece and drove in 2 and 3 RBI respectively. Koenig had a pair of RBI and Bogue, Gordon, O'Brien, Wessel and Padan all had single RBI.

That would be the logical choice, but if the head coaches agree before the game starts, the starting pitcher *can* be credited with the victory even if he doesn't go five innings.  That's why you see an occasional bullpen game with a starting pitcher going one inning and ending up with the W if the offense gives him the lead.

I knew coaches could agree on 4 innings if the game is 7 innings but I wasn't aware of it being applied as you've indicated. Of course I have no idea what if anything the coaches may have agreed upon in advance. Interesting, I'll have to ask about that.

sncsid

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 20, 2024, 05:38:15 PM
Quote from: mr_b on March 18, 2024, 09:47:43 PM

I knew coaches could agree on 4 innings if the game is 7 innings but I wasn't aware of it being applied as you've indicated. Of course I have no idea what if anything the coaches may have agreed upon in advance. Interesting, I'll have to ask about that.

There is an NCAA scoring rule where if a coach has a prearranged pitching schedule for that game, then the pitcher of record gets the win regardless of innings pitched. The "prearrangement" part is used pretty liberally by SIDs, but that one is indeed on the books. No agreement by opponents is necessary. You'll often see this in games where a team will throw a pitcher per inning in a midweek game, for example.

ShineTime

Quote from: tomt4525 on March 19, 2024, 01:33:25 PMHuge win for the Pointers this morning over #1 Endicott.  They have another huge game going on now against #13th ranked Johns Hopkins, who just beat La Crosse 8-0 this morning.

Where is Mason Weckler and JD Schultz?  They still have yet to throw a pitch for the Pointers this year.

JD pitched today and struck out 12 in win. Pointers now 4-4 and seem to be trying to figure out best defensive lineup along with hitting and the kid in right field today looks really good but I have so many questions like you said why did it take this long for him to pitch and where is Weckler? Where's Jacob Boos and did Brennan Huber get hurt before season began? Logan Mattson I know is coaching at Eau Claire I believe did the incident getting hit in eye last year make it where he didn't want to play any longer or couldn't he? Brendan Canterbury had a year left if wanted any idea as to why he didn't come back? He would've really helped and given Pointers experience in right and was consistent hitter. I think this squad has the ability to pitch and hit but I'm worried about defense and Ferry's going to have to pitch lights out or the coaches need to use him less and figure out who else can close games or be set up man. Pitching depth looks really good just hope someone can be dominant at top or even top 2
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

tomt4525

JD Schultz didn't pitch today, Kenny Schultz did.  So, still haven't seen JD or Mason Weckler on the bump this season.  I expected those 2 guys to be 2 of the 3 best starting pitchers Point had this season, without them, they don't have the depth to make a run.  Huber was a freshman I was excited about, he's listed on the roster but doesn't have a jersey number.  I have zero concrete information on him but an injury certainly is possible.

ShineTime

I noticed after I sent that and looked at box score. Something is definitely off so far although they seem to be turning things around somewhat. If those two pitchers are healthy or coming back healthy their rotation would be formidable but Pickering seems so hit or miss. Kenny Schultz really should be the ace id think and Weckler definitely looked good last year as the 2 but I guess no matter what Kenny, JD, Mason, and Pickering is really good plus they have two d1 pitching transfers. I really wish I knew what happened to Boos he was solid last two years have hard time he got beaten out or wouldn't see field. Jackson Adams is looking really good
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Quote from: ShineTime on March 21, 2024, 04:33:46 PMBrendan Canterbury had a year left if wanted any idea as to why he didn't come back? He would've really helped and given Pointers experience in right and was consistent hitter.
He wanted to focus on his career becoming an Athletic Trainer, which in turn meant completing his clinical hours and choosing to get his Master's Degree.  I would venture to guess that the clinical hours conflicted directly with the baseball practice schedule which is why he was unable to do both.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

ShineTime

Thanks for sharing the info Can't expect every kid to stay in college 5-6 years good for him focusing on a career. Certainly would've helped Pointers but they also have some really good talent on the roster so hopefully someone will stay consistent. Don't need 9 guys swinging for home runs all the time I feel the pointers are missing Boos but once again Soule is really good but the experience is missed I'd love to know if he's injured or what's going on same with Brennan Huber who was first team all state last year. Also would love to know what's going on with Weckler and JD Schultz just extremely bizarre situation and if those two ever get healthy they're looking at a formidable rotation which I feel should be 1. Kenny Schultz 2. Mason Weckler 3. JD Schultz 4. Casey Pickering. Schultz and Weckler could be switched but I'm convinced that Pickering should be the 4 and he'd be a very good one.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10